The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Winterizing 2004 Symbol

3 posters

Go down

Winterizing 2004 Symbol Empty Winterizing 2004 Symbol

Post by mikemelson Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:59 pm

Hi All,
       I normally use my 04 Symbol throughout the winter but this year it will have to be left unattended for 2/3 weeks at probably the coldest time of the year.

I have drained both tanks, run the pump till nothing comes out the taps, but notice in the Shurflo handbook that I need to disconnect the pipes at the inlet & outlet ports on the pump to thoroughly drain it in case it freezes.

I can just about see the pump, let alone get to it!, to access it properly it looks as though the cooker will have to come out.

Has anyone out there managed to do this?, what do other owners of this model Symbol do?.

Also, any other tips on winterizing will be much appreciated.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2024

Back to top Go down

Winterizing 2004 Symbol Empty Re: Winterizing 2004 Symbol

Post by Paulmold Mon Jan 20, 2014 5:04 pm

With our Symphony which obviously had the same set-up, we did as much as you have done. We used to leave the cupboard door open and also lifted up the false floor so that the temperature around the pump was the same as the whole interior. I suppose you could wrap the pump in some way which may help.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Winterizing 2004 Symbol Empty Re: Winterizing 2004 Symbol

Post by matchlessman Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:11 pm

I never bother going that far and have never had a problem. However you could try the old blow down the tap trick.

Select a tap which is easy to access with your mouth, turn the others off, that one on and blow hard. That should shift most of the water in the pump.

A little left behind won't hurt as you will only get problems if water freezes and can't expand ie because both ends of the freezing part are blocked by ice. The subsequent expansion cracks whatever it is in. If there is no restriction to the expansion there's no problem.
matchlessman
matchlessman

Male

Member Age : 67
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex owner - Symbol ES
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down