The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Television drop-down shelf in Talbot

2 posters

Go down

Television drop-down shelf in Talbot  Empty Television drop-down shelf in Talbot

Post by Traficlady Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:35 am

Has anyone removed the box and shelf for the TV that's above the single rear seat? I think the shelf, when it's down, is a nuisance because nobody can sit on that seat. I want to put a small bracket up instead. I don't use the aerial socket that's in there and the 3-pin socket isn't a problem.

I'm thinking of taking the shelf off and leaving the box part but taking the whole lot down would look better depending on what's behind it. Does anyone know what's behind it and how difficult it is to take it down as I can't see any screws.

Nora
Traficlady

Female

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Television drop-down shelf in Talbot  Empty Re: Television drop-down shelf in Talbot

Post by mikebro Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:49 pm

I don't suppose it's identical, but I've removed the fold-down tv shelf on our 2001 Symbol, and moved the sockets onto the wall. The van's all tucked up for the winter now, but next year I'll be fitting a swivelling wall bracket and small flat screen tv where the folding shelf used to be. I believe others have done similar.

Rgds

Mikebro smile!
mikebro
mikebro

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Television drop-down shelf in Talbot  Empty Re: Television drop-down shelf in Talbot

Post by Traficlady Tue Nov 19, 2013 9:46 am

Thanks, that's what I'm looking at doing. All I'm concerned about is what is behind it. I'm assuming it's just going to be the same as the rest of the wall - only probably not faded! content

Nora

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by mikebro Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:03 am

Yes, ours had the same imitation wood "wall" behind the box. That particular bit of wall didn't seem too badly faded, so no problem with mis-match with the box removed. You can chose where to make the holes for the power and aerial sockets to minimise the number of remaining screw holes. We ended up with a few of those, which I filled with plastic wood. The final result doesn't bear very close scrutiny, but won't notice once the new telly is installed. At least we can now sit on the seat with things plugged into the power socket (before, you had to fold down the shelf to get at the power socket, and the seat was useless).

Rgds

Mikebro smile!
mikebro
mikebro

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by Traficlady Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:07 pm

That's great, thanks. Sounds the same as mine. I know it's a nice tidy TV shelf but not very practical really.

Nora

Female

Back to top Go down