The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

High-top window leak (with pictures)

3 posters

Go down

High-top window leak (with pictures) Empty High-top window leak (with pictures)

Post by RichardB Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:53 am

HI all
I have been looking at the leak in the high-top window above the passenger door. Following a day of no rain I have been able to do some controlled watering to see if I can see where the water is getting in.  
It wasn’t too successful as I can’t see where it is coming in, although when I water the entire windows it does come in so it must be either the seal between the high-top and frame or the windows rubber.

I have taken a couple of pictures and looking at them I think the problem maybe between the windows glass and frame and not the frame and van - which I hope means I won’t have to take out the entire window and frame as that is a big job.   I have some new window rubber from auto sleepers sent and would hopefully I can replace the rubber without having to strip out the inside of the van to get to screws etc as I would if I was removing the entire frame.

I would appreciate any help/comments about the leak that you can see on the pictures below

High-top window leak (with pictures) 65r2
High-top window leak (with pictures) V18d

Cheers
Richard
RichardB
RichardB

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : Not at the moment...
Vehicle Year : n/a

Back to top Go down

High-top window leak (with pictures) Empty Re: High-top window leak (with pictures)

Post by mikethebike Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:40 pm

Hi , I would like to give you a quick answer,but water leaks are notoriously difficult to trace.
Maybe if you used a dye in the water to track its course.
I remember a product ,called Creeping Jack, i used it on boat windows with some success.
Not a permanent cure as i recall. Not the best time of year to take windows out for repairs.
I wish you luck anyway.
regards

mike
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

High-top window leak (with pictures) Empty Re: High-top window leak (with pictures)

Post by Guest Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:45 pm

Richard
I'd be tempted to fit the new rubber seal first. It easy to do and could be the cause of your problems.
Good luck

John
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:50 pm

Sorry, because it's obviously not what you want to hear, but this is exactly where both my high-top windows leaked (but several years apart so I had the whole rigmarole twice). Replacing the rubber seal did not fix it, because the leak was between window frame and roof.

I tried Captain Tolleys Creeping Crack Cure between frame and roof, but it's not up to the way the roof flexes, and the seal would always fail again after taking the van on rough roads.

Replacing the window seal is also a bit of a pain, because that new seal that A-S supplied me appeared to be a slightly bigger profile, which - along with the fact that it takes a long while to flatten down - made it very scary to shut the window latches, as so much force was needed it felt like they were about to shear off at any minute (I was very careful - leaving one end half-latched overnight the first time) but fortunately mine survived.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by RichardB Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:26 pm

Thanks all
I have removed the plastic moulding that houses the blind and fly screen - this was wet so there is definitely a leak but I can't see any sign of any of the carpet or window surround being wet.  

The next step will be to remove the carpet lining around the window - does anyone know how this comes off so I can see the retaining screws for the window or does anyone know where abouts the screws will be so I can try and get the window out without having to remove the entire side panels - that would be a major job as I would need to take the front of the overhead locker off and also the sun canopy is bolted right through the top of the van and I can see the bolts for this inside the over the overhead locker - and i don't really want to disturb it.

Thanks
Richard
RichardB
RichardB

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Sun Nov 03, 2013 11:40 pm

Looks like you will need a Harmony specific reply on this. My van was the same year but Transit-based, and its panels were covered in the standard AS beige/pink hessian type material. I had a long, hard look at the fixings that held in my windows, but came to the conclusion that it would be impossible to get them out, sealed and back in without removing the panels - which meant removing the over-cab locker door and both ceiling panels first.

I'm surprised that you seem to have problems with the Fiamma (I guess) fixings. Mine were hidden behind plastic covers, but with the covers off they did not need to be disturbed to get the side panels out.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by RichardB Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:13 pm

Been working on the window again today - sorry no pictures as I forgot the camera!

I Managed to find the bracket things holding the window under the carpet and the stupid long screws that AS have used to fix the trim!

I found the leak (its right in the middle of the frame and high top and luckily doesn't appear to have wet the ply frames too much)

I have scrapped out the mastic between the high-top and the window frame and slackened the brackets off - this has let me push the frame out an remove most of the mastic without having to actually take the window fully out of the frame - had to take the sun canopy off to get the bottom of the window, but have now enough room to squeeze some fresh mastic in between the frame and high top. 

I've left it tonight (too dark) without any mastic at all - just a black bag taped over the window incase it rains.

Tomorrow I plan to wedge the frame off the high top just enough to be able to pump in some sikaflex 221 all around it - then tighten up the brackets inside - hopefully that will squeeze the mastic a little - leave it to set for a bit and then put a fresh bead around the whole lot...

In theory I hope that works...if not I will probably leave a bag over it and leave it until it gets a bit warmer outside and then remove the whole interior side panel and carpet to take the window out completely...

Richard
RichardB
RichardB

Male

Back to top Go down