The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

MOT advisories on PEugeot Boxer

4 posters

Go down

MOT advisories on PEugeot Boxer Empty MOT advisories on PEugeot Boxer

Post by RichardB Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:54 am

Hi all
I am going to see a Peugeot Boxer Autosleeper Harmony S reg at the weekend.
I have just had a look at the vans MOT history and don't quite understand what some stuff means.

I can see that the van failed it's MOT in 2010 for "Offside Front Suspension arm has excessive play in a ball joint" - it has since passed 2 so presume this was repaired.
For it's 2013 MOT, it passed but there are four advisories:

Offside Rear wheel bearing has slight play (2.6.2)
Nearside Rear Shock absorber has slight corrosion to the casing (2.7.2a)
Offside Rear Shock absorber has slight corrosion to the casing (2.7.2a)
Offside front brake juddering slightly (3.7.A.2b)

Can anyone explain what these actually mean, whether they are expensive repairs, should I stay clear, show I not worry and what I should look for on the Van when I go to view...
Thanks
Richard
RichardB
RichardB

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : Not at the moment...
Vehicle Year : n/a

Back to top Go down

MOT advisories on PEugeot Boxer Empty Re: MOT advisories on PEugeot Boxer

Post by boxerman Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:15 pm

There is a good forum for MOTs here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] most of the queries are answered by MOT testers, so you get the real truth about MOT items, not speculation about what that guy in the pub said.
You can also download the MOT manual from here [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] and check through that.

Remember that advisories are just that - advice about items that the tester feels should be brought to the owner's attention, not necessarily an MOT failure point.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by RichardB Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:45 pm

Thanks - had a quick look at the Mot Manual, and from my very limited mechanical knowledge, 2.7.2 means that the shock absorbers may need replacing

I think I will go and have a look and if it looks okay take a chance - I would get it services and re-mot'ed again anyway...

Richard
RichardB
RichardB

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by astrag60 Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:04 pm

I am a MOT tester and have been for 9 years this is what i think, Rear shock absorbers working ok but corrosion to the outer casing (maybe replace but function not impaired) OSR wheel bearing has slight play (depending on type replace or tighten up) OSF front brake disc juddering slightly (warped front brake disc, M aybe felt through brake pedal when stoping if so replace)drinksallround
astrag60
astrag60

Male

Member Age : 47
Auto-Sleeper Model : duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by RichardB Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:13 pm

Thanks.

So to add a little more to my current "which van" dilemma...

Bearing in mind that I am a mechanical idiot and only ever had company cars that go to the dealers to get fixed!

I have an option on 3 vans and am not sure which would be the best option...

1994 (N Reg) Peugeot Boxer Autosleeper Harmony 1.9 Petrol with 25,000 miles from a dealers with 3 months warranty and habitation checks done for £9,995
1999 (S Reg) Peugeot Boxer Autosleeper Harmony 1.9 Diesel with 88,000 miles from a private seller with the MOT advisories as above and I will need to get habitation check done just to be safe for £8,995
1999 (T Reg) Peugeot Boxer Autosleeper Harmony 1.9 Petrol with 64,000 miles from a private seller but l need to get habitation check done just to be safe for £9,000

I had budgeted to spend about £9000 on the van itself and allow about another £1500 to get the initial safety checks, serviced, oil change, cam belt (not sure if I there needed on both petrol and diesel) any immediate issues sorted and some kind of awning - So the extra £1000 for the dealers van should cover most of that and still leave £500 for awnings…

I am being advised that the diesel with 25,000 would be the better option as I will have some comeback for 3 months.
The diesel will be cheaper to run (MPG) and the T Reg maybe better as it is 5 years newer so the motorhome conversion will be more up-to-date. 

This is our first motorhome and plan to use it for 5 years and then upgrade once our 2 kids have left home and don't want to come with us (although that might just be wishful thinking on my part!!)

Any advice would be welcome - and if anyone has a copy of the sales brochures/specification of the 1994 and 1999 models that would be really useful

Thanks
Richard 
RichardB
RichardB

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:02 am

To the best of my knowledge, there isn't a 1.9 petrol Boxer, they are all 2ltr (1995cc) XU10J2 motors. The 1.9 are diesels and normally aspirated ones are a bit sluggish.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by WEXFORDBELLE Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:03 pm

Hi I think it is worth considering a 1.9 turbo diesel,  while my Symphony will not win a Grand Prix I have travelled all over

France and found that it was more than capable of climbing the steepest of hills also if you intend to travel in Europe the

cost (unlike the UK) is less than petrol ! One thing I would suggest that whatever Boxer you choose  that the  first thing to

do is check the Gearbox oil (see previous threads regarding water in the gearbox) and stick with the original recommended oil.

Patallthumbz
WEXFORDBELLE

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony

Back to top Go down