The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Water tank is full but gauge shows empty

4 posters

Go down

Water tank is full but gauge shows empty Empty Water tank is full but gauge shows empty

Post by PennyB Sat Aug 10, 2013 7:08 pm

We filled the water tank to overflowing and now the gauge is not registering any water, but there is no evidence of a leak. But worse the pump is working (can hear it trying) but is not making any water come out. tried sucking but it's next to impossible! We are away from home, and due to get the tunnel to France tomorrow evening. 
Please does anyone have any suggestions how we can get the water running again?
Thank you, Penny.
PennyB
PennyB

Female

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony

Back to top Go down

Water tank is full but gauge shows empty Empty Re: Water tank is full but gauge shows empty

Post by Dutto Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:18 pm

Hi there,

If it's like mine then there is a little button and a knurled knob.

You fill the tank. Press button and turn the knob to adjust the scale to show 100%.

The scale then drops down as the water is used and to check the scale you push the button.

Hope this helps.allthumbz 

Best regards,
drinksallround 

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Water tank is full but gauge shows empty Empty Re: Water tank is full but gauge shows empty

Post by Bulletguy Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:48 am

And if it's like mine it doesn't have a "knurled knob"! Simply a push switch to show battery condition/water level, but the water level is frequently unreliable and has shown empty in the past when I knew damn well it was full (possibly due to a faulty float sensor or the float itself sticking).

As for the OP's problem....at best it could just simply be an air lock, at worst the pumps knackered in which case it's going to need coming out and possibly replacing.

As you are leaving UK today that's really cutting it fine. But there is an excellent Caravan Spares dealer just outside Bray Dune who may be able to help. If any use to you I have the co-ordinates but they are in my van and i'm away from it atm.
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:29 pm

Quick "PS"

We have NEVER used the level indicator!!wave wave 

When the water supply starts "spitting" we are running out of water and it is time to fill up!allthumbz allthumbz 

Best regards,
drinksallround 

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Water tank is full but gauge shows empty Empty air lock?

Post by wildburns Sun Aug 11, 2013 12:46 pm

The pump will run with an air lock, open the kitchen tap and while sucking the outlet, between sucks
seal  outlet with tongue, suck again, tongue, suck, repeat,  until water comes through.
If no pressure from pump at this point, pump is failing. When my pump failed though it was
leaking from upper casing. good luck !
wildburns
wildburns

Male

Member Age : 57
Auto-Sleeper Model : clubman

Back to top Go down

Post by PennyB Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:01 pm

up! Hello you lovely helpful people,
Thanks very much to lovely Steve of Mobile Motorhome and Caravan Services in Westgate near Broadstairs who gave up his day off to sort us out on a Sunday. As Bulletguy suggested, it was a knackered pump which needed replacing and now all is working fine. The gauge is a bit dodgy as the control panel is a bit old and tired, but twiddling the knurled knob worked (!), and I didn't fancy the suck and tongue experience! 
Thanks again for your suggestions. We're now on our way to the tunnel with a fully functioning Bertie.
Penny.
PennyB
PennyB

Female

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:07 pm

Hi there,

Please accept my apologies for answering the wrong question!!tap_fingers tap_fingers 

Close all the taps.

Open the cold tap on the sink.

Switch the pump on.

Suck air from the tap until you hear the pump change tone (or start choking)! If water doesn't appear repeat the sucking until it does.

Let the water run until it stops "spitting" and close the tap. The pump should now stop. (If it doesn't stop get back to us.)

Now open all the other taps in turn until the water flows freely and then close them off; then check that the pump stops on each occasion. (The hot water system has an expansion tank fitted so the pump will run for a few seconds after closing a hot water tap.)

Hope this helps.allthumbz 

Best regards,
drinksallround 
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sun Aug 11, 2013 8:09 pm

Hi there,

Our posts overlapped - sorry.

Enjoy the new pump but when you next run the water tank empty you can refer back to my post!!allthumbz allthumbz 

Best regards,
drinksallround 

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down