The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Known problems and water tank gauge

+2
steamdrivenandy
NewDuettoOwner
6 posters

Go down

Known problems and water tank gauge Empty Known problems and water tank gauge

Post by NewDuettoOwner Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:39 pm

Anyone else have problems with the water tank gauge? mine has never been accurate and another Duetto I looked at had the same problem.

Also, are there any known and persistent problems with Duetto's? for example, an NCC engineer said the roof windows are often prone to leaking.

Dan
NewDuettoOwner
NewDuettoOwner

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Known problems and water tank gauge Empty Re: Known problems and water tank gauge

Post by steamdrivenandy Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:03 am

I've owned several campervans without water gauges and when I've asked converters why they aren't fitted their response is that they are all unreliable and not worth bothering with. 

And yes leaks can occur around Duetto roof windows and there are lots of threads on here about such leaks and difficulty sourcing replacements.
steamdrivenandy
steamdrivenandy

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Known problems and water tank gauge Empty Re: Known problems and water tank gauge

Post by Taurian Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:48 am

Mine has never worked - well, certainly during my 4 years of  ownership.   I know roughly how much water I have in the tank as, before I go away, I put 4 x 7litre watering cans worth in and top up if I need to.  I don't use my shower so I know roughly how much I'm using at any given time.
Taurian
Taurian

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Clubman Anniversary
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:43 am

" their response is that they are all unreliable and not worth bothering with. "

Andy, just goes to show what some 'converters' (don't) know.....think_smiley_46
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Sun Aug 16, 2020 10:48 am

As a cynical ex flight engineer with up to 13 fuel tanks to deal with, there are only 2 times you know exactly what is in them.
In the case of the MH you fill it till it overflows, then refit the filler cap. It is now full!
When you drain the tank, say for winter, using the drain hose and its tap, and the water stops running out, it's empty.
Anything in between is little more than an uneducated guess.
We always travel full (overflowing remember) and, on site if stationary, we add 2 x 10l flexible bag type water carriers per day (we don't use the shower, this is sufficient)
On leaving we refill to full at the site tap etc etc............

By way of Sod's law, our water level indicator seems to work well, but I do the above and simply ignore it!!!

allthumbz
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 16, 2020 11:07 am

The only reliable gauge is a clear tube on the side of the tank, seldom used because they are a leak risk and hard to keep clean. I did think of replacing the blue outlet pipe from the tank with clear but the pump seals are too good and it would take days to get a reading.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by groundhog Sun Aug 16, 2020 12:15 pm

Mentioned this many times but fitting a henderson hatch to the tank (tcl4) allows you to get in to clean the tank and the senders for the gauge as well as change the pump if you have an in tank one. Even when done though the gauges are fairly rubbish as everyone has said!
groundhog
groundhog
Donator
Donator

Auto-Sleeper Model : Worcester

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:34 pm

groundhog wrote:Mentioned this many times but fitting a henderson hatch to the tank (tcl4) allows you to get in to clean the tank and the senders for the gauge as well as change the pump if you have an in tank one. Even when done though the gauges are fairly rubbish as everyone has said!
....not everyone, H up!

the hatch is a good idea for cleaning, as you say...
we had one on the waste tank in our Swift which was handy, but as it was on the underside, you soon got covered in dirty water when lying below it with a hosepipe dislodging crud.....
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:33 pm

Has anyone actually fitted a Henderson hatch to a Warwick Duo?

I have 2 + cutter sitting in my garage as I find it hard to find a surface large enough to fit the hatch on. I should have measured and looked before plunging in and buying them. scratch head
---------
Richard
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down