The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Renault rimini 1992

5 posters

Go down

Renault rimini 1992 Empty Renault rimini 1992

Post by Kf1 Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:38 am

Hello all. I have now bought the vehicle above, but unfortunately it doesn't have a leisure battery. I would like to fit one, but just wondering on the positioning of it. Ideally I would like to see where the original manufacturer would have fitted it. In addition, there is no on board charger. Is this a necessity, as if I am running on 240v hook up surely the leisure battery should still keep a lot of its charge as it would be full by the time I arrived at the site! Sorry if I sound a bit thick, but I just don't know!! Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Kf1
Kf1

Male

Member Age : 49
Auto-Sleeper Model : Renault Trafic Rimin

Back to top Go down

Renault rimini 1992 Empty Re: Renault rimini 1992

Post by Paulmold Tue Jul 30, 2013 11:10 am

Our expert on Renault Traffics is Boxerman but I believe he's still on holiday up in the Hebrides. I'm sure someone will be along to help though but if not Frank (Boxerman) will help on his return.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:01 pm

I owned a similar Trafic-based model (a Rapport, which is a high-top) for a year but I'm afraid I can't remember where the leisure battery was!

If you do fit one, I'd advise you to get a charger. If not you are relying on the van's relatively small alternator to not only replace the power taken when starting the engine, but also supply things like wipers, interior blower ~and~ also charge another battery. There are things you can do to help to place priority on recharging the engine start battery (using a voltage-sensing split charge system) but that may mean that the alternator won't start to charge the leisure battery for some time into your journey.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Kf1 Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:24 pm

Having had a good look around the van, I think it is possible to fit both in the engine bay. My intention was to fit a voltage sensitive relay, but I am unsure about a 240v charger, as I am unsure about e wiring. If it is straightforward and relatively cheap, I would probably do it so all bases ate covered. Thanks for the input!
Kf1
Kf1

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Wed Jul 31, 2013 7:24 pm

I think Paul's trying to make me blush smile! 
Not back home yet but I'm on the mainland at Glencoe and have managed to get a dongle connection allthumbz 
Kf1 wrote:Having had a good look around the van, I think it is possible to fit both in the engine bay.
Yes it is, flatten the lip on the battery tray, and depending on the size of your batteries, you'll get two on by turning them through 90 degrees or bolt a larger mounting plate onto the existing one.
My intention was to fit a voltage sensitive relay,
Best & easiest way to do it up! 
but I am unsure about a 240v charger, as I am unsure about e wiring. If it is straightforward and relatively cheap, I would probably do it so all bases ate covered.
I never bothered with one on our RV50 (forerunner to the Rimini) as there was so little demand on the battery, the alternator coped fine.
We only had a couple of lights and a water pump, no propex, TV, Satellite recievers  or anything fancy like that.
I know people who take an "ordinary" battery charger and plug that in when on EHU, they get by on that.
It all depends on the strain you are putting on the battery.
HTH
Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by Kf1 Wed Jul 31, 2013 9:05 pm

Thanks Frank. I thought turning them 90 degrees should be ok. As for the charging situation, I think I will probably leave it for now and see how I cope! Thanks for the advice!
Dave
Kf1
Kf1

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by JUAN27 Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:40 pm

Kf1 wrote:Hello all. I have now bought the vehicle above, but unfortunately it doesn't have a leisure battery. I would like to fit one, but just wondering on the positioning of it. Ideally I would like to see where the original manufacturer would have fitted it. In addition, there is no on board charger. Is this a necessity, as if I am running on 240v hook up surely the leisure battery should still keep a lot of its charge as it would be full by the time I arrived at the site! Sorry if I sound a bit thick, but I just don't know!! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Under the driver's seat on my 1992 Rapport
JUAN27
JUAN27

Male

Member Age : 60
Auto-Sleeper Model : Rapport

Back to top Go down

Post by Kf1 Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:43 pm

I did have a look under there, but I thought I would prefer it in the engine bay. I did as Frank suggested, turned it 90 degrees, and the two batteries fit nicely side by side. I have fitted a 110 ah battery, so hopefully it should give me many hours of lighting!
Kf1
Kf1

Male

Back to top Go down