The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

t4 trident auto sleeper

+2
marco vw
smokey2008
6 posters

Go down

t4 trident auto sleeper Empty t4 trident auto sleeper

Post by smokey2008 Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:19 pm

on my zig board. I have a small 12 volt dc hole. its two small to plug any12 volt plugs in. can you help please.
smokey2008
smokey2008

Male

Member Age : 62
Auto-Sleeper Model : t4 trident auto sle

Back to top Go down

t4 trident auto sleeper Empty Re: t4 trident auto sleeper

Post by marco vw Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:46 pm

hi
I think its called a Hella type single pole socket. I got an adapter from Go Outdoors that converts it to the more commonly used cigar lighter socket

This is the one I think: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
marco vw
marco vw

Male

Member Age : 58
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident

Back to top Go down

Post by Otto Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:23 pm

G'day, I've got the same unit and a previous owner had wired up one of those 3-way cigarette socket adapters to the back of the Zig unit and fastened it to the panel just below the Zig, it's quite straight forward to get to the wiring behind the Zig by unscrewing the panel it's mounted on and removing 2 or 3 screws from the curtain pelmet above it, if you look on E-bay you can pick up these adapters of various size and also with 1 or 2 USB outputs on which is a nice touch nowadays for 'phone or other device charging. Alternatively you could purchase one of these adapters and change the plug on it to fit the Zig socket, I have had 12 volt car appliances before which have had a cig lighter type plug on which had a plastic bit on the end which was removable so as to fit the smaller 12 volt sockets, I'm sure your local motor-store could help or of course t'interet,
Have fun,Colin
Otto
Otto

Male

Member Age : 75

Back to top Go down

Post by Spinner Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:00 pm

Hi folks, the trooper I have had a din male plug in the socket ready to wire something to it. Anyway I went to the dub feat at hare wood house last Saturday and bought a bing 12 v cig type adapter I then removed the cig plug and wired the din plug to it and placed it into the zig unit I turned the socket switch to on and great it illuminated. I then though this will be great to charge my smartphone up and proceeded to plug in via the usb socket on the bing adapter that's when it all when wrong the aren't went bright for a couple of seconds and then my phone went off. Since then I have been unable to charge my phone although it does work off the mains, I have no idea why this happened but I am now in the market for a new phone and won't touch this din socket again so please beware!
Spinner
Spinner

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Peel Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:25 pm

marco vw wrote:hi
I think its called a Hella type single pole socket. I got an adapter from Go Outdoors that converts it to the more commonly used cigar lighter socket

This is the one I think: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

That sounds potentially useful. However would charging up a mobile phone for say, an hour, likely make much of a dent in a leisure battery? I'm rather dim when it comes to electricity so I always worry about flattening it...
Peel
Peel

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by richardstubbs Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:46 pm

I've got one of these plugged into mine all the time, makes it more useful:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Charging a phone will be fine. You can buy a cigar lighter to USB adaptor from Poundland (splash out and buy 2 - I did!) and then use the USB cable that came with the phone, or buy one of those from Poundland too. That way you can charge it from the lighter in the cab as well.
richardstubbs
richardstubbs

Male

Member Age : 60
Auto-Sleeper Model : Rapport
Vehicle Year : 1988

Back to top Go down

Post by richardstubbs Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:51 pm

Spinner wrote:Hi folks, the trooper I have had a din male plug in the socket ready to wire something to it. Anyway I went to the dub feat at hare wood house last Saturday and bought a bing 12 v cig type adapter I then removed the cig plug and wired the din plug to it and placed it into the zig unit I turned the socket switch to on and great it illuminated. I then though this will be great to charge my smartphone up and proceeded to plug in via the usb socket on the bing adapter that's when it all when wrong the aren't went bright for a couple of seconds and then my phone went off. Since then I have been unable to charge my phone although it does work off the mains, I have no idea why this happened but I am now in the market for a new phone and won't touch this din socket again so please beware!

Oops, bad luck.

Sounds like there was some electronics inside the plug which you cut off. There was probably a 5V regulator in there, so you've tried to charge your phone from 12V instead of 5V. That'll break it. Either that or the adaptor itself is bad.
richardstubbs
richardstubbs

Male

Member Age : 60
Auto-Sleeper Model : Rapport
Vehicle Year : 1988

Back to top Go down

Post by Spinner Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:20 pm

Thanks for that I didn't think of it but it does makes sense so in order to use this outlet I would need to replace the cig adapters end and get an adaptor to put into the din? thanks for the advice.
Spinner
Spinner

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper

Back to top Go down

Post by Peel Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:37 am

Thanks people. I've ordered one of these from Go Outdoors (or Go Outside as my sister-in-law insists on calling it).
Peel
Peel

Male

Back to top Go down