The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

gutter rail

3 posters

Go down

gutter rail Empty gutter rail

Post by karl Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:15 pm

Hi i`m new to this forum, bought a trident vw t4 seem to have a leak on windscreen metal seam, looks like coming from under the gutter rail as i found a small rust spot with a hole filled that up but to no avail, does anyone know how to remove these and may be replace with slim line version and where to get them from. Thank you Karl
karl
karl

Male

Member Age : 58
Auto-Sleeper Model : vw trooper

Back to top Go down

Post by newterry Thu Jun 13, 2013 10:23 pm

Before going down the drastic route, if fitted, try backing the gutter rail fixing screws out a tad and pour in some Captain Tolley's Creeping Crack Cure (yes, it does exist !) Tighten them back up and see if that works.

Never walk past open doors of opportunity as you'll never know what treasures lie beyond.
newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony 1.9TD
Vehicle Year : 1999 reg

Back to top Go down

gutter rail Empty Re: gutter rail

Post by john_l_k Mon Jun 17, 2013 6:33 am

I did one side of my  1992 Trooper a few years back because water was getting in too.
Under the black tape that runs through the middle of the rail there are long screws, spread along the length of the rail.
You need to feel along the tape until you find the screw head, then scrape to expose them.
Once the screws are out, the rail probably still will not come off as it is stuck with some sort of silicon, so you will then need to break that seal.
I used a sturdy paint scraper, pushed down from the top, and this seperated it eventually.

I can't remember exactly what i did next, but probably cleaned up the old, and re-siliconed before re-assembing.
I did call A-S at the time, and they said the rails were not available any longer, so great care was taken on my behalf as not to break them.
I might have ordered the black tape through them at the same time as the call, or bought it elsewhere, I can't remember, but once refitted, you'll have to fill over the top of the screw-holes so they don't show through the tape.

I didn't know there was a smaller rail, it would have been good to know at the time as I took a long time being so careful not to break anything knowing it would be irreplaceable.

A-S service/parts department guy is legendary, if he's still there, very helpful indeed. Can't think of his name, but very knowledgeable and he'll be the one answering the phone.
The number I have for the parts/service department  is 0138 685 3511.

Best of luck
john_l_k
john_l_k

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Clubman Anniversary
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by newterry Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:14 am

His name is (saint) Alan !! Always handy to have your build number as he can often give you more info if your van is still on file.up!

Never walk past open doors of opportunity as you'll never know what treasures lie beyond.
newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony 1.9TD
Vehicle Year : 1999 reg

Back to top Go down

Post by karl Sun Jun 23, 2013 4:54 pm

Hi guy`s thanks for this info, I eventually took the bull by the horns after posting.

Yes screws in the centre of the rail, found once chisel cleaned off the tape exposed them and unscrewed.
Next was detaching the rail christ they certainly used enough silicone but a 2 inch chisel down the side did the trick.

Once remove all the cheap steel screws rusted through the body work removed those, cleaned all silicone then re-applied to underside of high top to roof of van, all screw holes filled rubbed down re-sprayed then new stainless steel screws inserted.

Now the tricky bit, all silicone removed off gutter and low and behold there is a section of rubber insert on the front where it bends round the windscreen to form the outlet to the front.

Well i`m just about to remove and reform with different material and see what happens.

Oh by the way the front section is so tight against the body work cant apply silicone so going to cut back top.

Will let you know how i get on.

Karl
karl
karl

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : vw trooper

Back to top Go down