The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Black Gutter rail fittings / window frames

3 posters

Go down

Black Gutter rail fittings / window frames Empty Black Gutter rail fittings / window frames

Post by Harper22 Thu Apr 11, 2013 3:21 pm

Hi folks, Me again,

Whilst having a tat with the van the other day i decided to clear out behind the gutter strip (cover strip between hi-top and van) and my god was it full of moss n * Inappropriate Word *. The only problem is that its brought a bit of an issue to my attention which is i'm missing lots of screws and brackets for the trim sections, For instance the back section over the doors is currently held on my one screw at the far end which while the moss was in there wasn't a problem as it seems that was holding the trim on hugegrins
Has anyone managed to get any of these fittings from auto sleepers or anywhere else? I figured I would ask here first as so far not had much success sourcing parts from AS

The other thing I'm looking into is trying to replace the window surround frames as these are now cracking in the corners. The windows and blinds are fine its just the cream surrounds that are now brittle, so once again has anyone had any spares of these from anywhere?

Regards

Neil
Harper22
Harper22

Male

Member Age : 45
Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony

Back to top Go down

Black Gutter rail fittings / window frames Empty Re: Black Gutter rail fittings / window frames

Post by peugeotboxer Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:00 pm

Hi Neil

I have noticed a few of my surrounds are developing hairline cracks as well so will be interested in any replies.
As far as the gutter brackets, I think they were bonded to the high-top. (A couple of mine have become detached but the gutter is still pretty secure)

PB

peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Black Gutter rail fittings / window frames Empty Re: Black Gutter rail fittings / window frames

Post by Harper22 Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:02 pm

peugeotboxer wrote:Hi Neil

I have noticed a few of my surrounds are developing hairline cracks as well so will be interested in any replies.
As far as the gutter brackets, I think they were bonded to the high-top. (A couple of mine have become detached but the gutter is still pretty secure)

PB

I seem to have one that's still screwed to the black rail but the clip is not attached to the hi-top so that may be a hefty adhesive jobby up!
Harper22
Harper22

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Thu Apr 11, 2013 5:38 pm

Harper22 wrote:

I seem to have one that's still screwed to the black rail but the clip is not attached to the hi-top so that may be a hefty adhesive jobby up!

Same as mine.......black screw is still intact, just the bracket is not fixed to anything.
Maybe as you say, strong adhesive............next time I wash the roof though!!

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:25 pm

A few of mine had come loose, and I wasn't too impressed with the way they had originally been bonded on. I used Unibond Repair Power Epoxy Plastic, taping the gutter in place for ten minutes while it set, and that seemed to work well. It stays slightly flexible when set, so it should cope with heating and cooling in the sun OK.

If you have some missing and AS can't supply, I suspect from the appearance that it is a stainless steel stand-off product intended for marine applications, so you might have luck at a ships chandlers. Don't expect them to be cheap, though - in my experience, everything at the average ships chandlers is very expensive...
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Harper22 Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:00 pm

-mojo- wrote:A few of mine had come loose, and I wasn't too impressed with the way they had originally been bonded on. I used Unibond Repair Power Epoxy Plastic, taping the gutter in place for ten minutes while it set, and that seemed to work well. It stays slightly flexible when set, so it should cope with heating and cooling in the sun OK.

If you have some missing and AS can't supply, I suspect from the appearance that it is a stainless steel stand-off product intended for marine applications, so you might have luck at a ships chandlers. Don't expect them to be cheap, though - in my experience, everything at the average ships chandlers is very expensive...

Have sent a parts request to AS tho i don't hold out much hope as I know they don't use this style of gutter any more but good thinking about the possible marine option up!
Harper22
Harper22

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:09 pm

-mojo- wrote:A few of mine had come loose, and I wasn't too impressed with the way they had originally been bonded on. I used Unibond Repair Power Epoxy Plastic, taping the gutter in place for ten minutes while it set, and that seemed to work well. It stays slightly flexible when set, so it should cope with heating and cooling in the sun OK.

Thanks for the 'heads up' on the adhesive

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Harper22 Fri Apr 12, 2013 9:29 am

Well the good news folks is that AS do still do the metal brackets and nylon screws £2.52 per bracket + vat and screws @ 10p + vat
Now just to count how many im missing hugegrins
Harper22
Harper22

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Apr 12, 2013 7:00 pm

If perchance anyone is going to take these gutters apart I would love some photos as to what lays beneath. My gutters have been sealed with copious amounts of black mastic which I assume will fail at some time so will have to take them off. An idea of what I’ll be letting myself in for would be gratefully received.

Cheers Matt
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:21 pm

Oddsnends wrote:If perchance anyone is going to take these gutters apart I would love some photos as to what lays beneath. My gutters have been sealed with copious amounts of black mastic which I assume will fail at some time so will have to take them off. An idea of what I’ll be letting myself in for would be gratefully received.

Cheers Matt

There's nothing behind them Matt, they get a build up of algae because you can't clean the gap very well.
They just form a cover trim over the hitop join and are held off the side by small brackets. (approx 1/2")

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:21 pm

Ok thanks PB up!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down