The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

leaking gutter symphony

3 posters

Go down

leaking gutter symphony Empty leaking gutter symphony

Post by jerry Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:30 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] merry Christmas and happy new year to one and all . Two months ago after a lot of nail biting , I removed the guttering on my Peugeot symphony near side due to rust mark above passenger door . the removal was quite straight forward after reading posts on this informative site up! .

now the problem is putting it back so as the rain stays in the upper  part of the gutter and drains at the correct holes . Not the ones made by a previous owner . Rubber gaskets to the front and rear have perished and didn't  fit well .

Do you think it would  be possible to replace the seals to the front and rear with expanded foam ? My thoughts are that I would protect the bodywork with  cling film dry fit the guttering with screws , spray expanding foam between gutter and body where the bendy seals were  .remove gutter , trim excess expanded foam to size  , stick gutter back on with sealant scratch head what do you think could that work .

thanks for your time

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : symphony
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

leaking gutter symphony Empty Re: leaking gutter symphony

Post by -mojo- Fri Dec 28, 2018 6:02 pm

It sounds like that could work if you cannot get a seal that will match the old one. A couple of warnings:

I know from embarrassing experience that it's easy to underestimate how much expanding foam expands, so it's probably worth masking off the side of the van underneath or doing something similar, just in case.

Generally, expanding foam is not UV stable, so you may need to skin it over with something that is - such as Sikaflex - or it's likely to turn into powder after a couple of years in the sun.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by jerry Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:42 am

-mojo- wrote:It sounds like that could work if you cannot get a seal that will match the old one. A couple of warnings:

I know from embarrassing experience that it's easy to underestimate how much expanding foam expands, so it's probably worth masking off the side of the van underneath or doing something similar, just in case.

Generally, expanding foam is not UV stable, so you may need to skin it over with something that is - such as Sikaflex - or it's likely to turn into powder after a couple of years in the sun.
thanks ,

haven't tried to find a seal to match, sounds like best option in the long term.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Sat Dec 29, 2018 10:58 am

Sealsdirect have been suggested a few times here but I don't know what their prices are like. When I've needed specific seal profiles in the past, I've always used Woolies, as they have a big range of seals and closed-cell sponge extrusions, and they will send you a short sample of a range of seals before you buy, so that you can pick the best match with what you have.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Sat Dec 29, 2018 11:09 am

A couple of RTMR members have used Seal+direct and have been happy with the service.
They have also received samples from them.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by jerry Sat Dec 29, 2018 12:34 pm

-mojo- wrote:Sealsdirect have been suggested a few times here but I don't know what their prices are like. When I've needed specific seal profiles in the past, I've always used Woolies, as they have a big range of seals and closed-cell sponge extrusions, and they will send you a short sample of a range of seals before you buy, so that you can pick the best match with what you have.
thanks will try Woolies

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by jerry Sat Dec 29, 2018 5:06 pm

boxerman wrote:A couple of RTMR members have used Seal+direct and have been happy with the service.
They have also received samples from them.

Frank
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] seal+direct web site have plenty of options thanks.

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down