The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

T4 trident high top- What load rated tyres?

2 posters

Go down

T4 trident high top- What load rated tyres? Empty T4 trident high top- What load rated tyres?

Post by hamps_w Thu May 09, 2013 6:02 am

Hi there,

What load rating tyres do you have on your tridents? At present my camper has 97 rated tyres. These equate to 730kgs per corner.

According to the autosleeper manual that came with the van the unladen weight of the van is 1975kg and the load weight is 615kg. Giving a total gross weight of 2590kg.

The load weight of 615kg, is that the most weight you can put in the van? So it includes all water and luggage and people?
IM just making sure my tyres are sufficient and that we never overload the van.
hamps_w
hamps_w

Male

Member Age : 44
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident

Back to top Go down

T4 trident high top- What load rated tyres? Empty Re: T4 trident high top- What load rated tyres?

Post by -mojo- Fri May 10, 2013 1:13 am

I've been looking into this myself (from a slightly different angle - considering whether to fit alloy wheels) and, from what I've read, you can derive the load rating needed for both tyres and wheels simply by looking at the vehicle weight plate, finding which of the last two figures is bigger (generally the rear axle permitted load will be higher, in which case it will be the fourth weight figure down, preceded by "2-") and dividing it by two.

(This assumes, of course, that you are planning to use the same wheels and tyres all round.)

As usual I would be more than happy to be corrected on this - because if it's wrong I'd rather find out ~before~ I buy new wheels...

And yes, if the AS manual says that the user payload is 615kg then that is the total max weight of people, gas tanks, fresh water, all your luggage and other junk. I suspect a lot of people inadvertently overload their vans (particularly the coachbuilts) because they have a lot of space to put stuff but not a lot of headroom in terms of weight. When I had some of the bits temporarily off my van, I realised that just the Fiamma awning and two gas cylinders took up 10% of my user payload - a full water tank was another 12% gone!
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

T4 trident high top- What load rated tyres? Empty Re: T4 trident high top- What load rated tyres?

Post by hamps_w Fri May 10, 2013 1:20 am

I am also looking at alloys. Hence the question really. You have to consider the load rating of the wheel...and they tyre. Im getting into a right pickle!
hamps_w
hamps_w

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Fri May 10, 2013 1:30 am

hamps_w wrote:You have to consider the load rating of the wheel...and they tyre.

You do, but as I say, as far as I can tell, the rating comes down to just one figure - it must be more than half of the maximum permissible load of whichever axle can take the highest load. If this is correct (please someone tell me if it's not!) then it's pretty easy to work out.

On my van that comes to 775kg.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by hamps_w Fri May 10, 2013 1:34 am

But hardly any website lists the load capacity of their alloy wheels. The tyres are fine as that info is freely available.

Im going to check the load plate on mine when i get home and do what you have done. Just go for the highest figure. Seems to make sense as you wouldnt put weaker wheels on one axle just becuase it has a lower load rating.
hamps_w
hamps_w

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Fri May 10, 2013 1:38 am

It's true, they don't generally quote load ratings for alloy wheels, and there are quite a few alloys out there that are only rated for use on cars (load ratings well below 700kg in some cases).

If you put those on a van and have an accident, the insurance companies could use that to void your policy (though I doubt they would find out unless it lead to a fatality).
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by hamps_w Fri May 10, 2013 1:41 am

Agreed, but not something i would like to test!
hamps_w
hamps_w

Male

Back to top Go down