The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All weather

3 posters

Go down

All weather Empty All weather

Post by Southdowner Sun Mar 24, 2013 11:23 am

A friend of mine wants to purchase a new Topaz auto and needs to use the van all year round. He is worried about the insulation or lack of it as he likes to keep warm smile! . Any thoughts from fellow members.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper Model : 2011 Executive

Back to top Go down

All weather Empty Re: All weather

Post by -mojo- Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:39 pm

A-S have insulated the living area on their vans for many years, so the biggest heat loss is typically through the glass - external thermal screens help with that. I doubt they will have trouble staying warm enough - especially if they use sites with electrics, as even a 1kW heater can keep a fairly large van warm at subzero temps.

However, as talked about in loads of other threads, stopping the under-van water pipes/tanks from freezing may be a problem, and they may need to swap to propane if it comes with butane cylinders.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Southdowner Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:10 am

Many thanks for the information, I will pass it on to my friend.

I thought he might have problems as my van is the coldest and wettest van I have every owned and my first A-S.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper Model : 2011 Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:52 pm

As has been mentioned, the underbody waterpipes and tank will be his main concern. Someone posted a thread with photos of how he had fully insulated his...and an excellent job too. However this involves a lot of crawling around underneath and if like me your days of doing that are over, then it would cost a fair bit of money to get it done. PVC's are not the most ideal for winter touring. They aren't 'winterised' to the extent of double flooring etc.

If he's using it in Spain or somewhere similar then fine....but be prepared for a very cold 800 mile trip through France before he get's to Spain! Tell him to pack plenty of thermal underwear.....he will need it! hugegrins
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down