The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

My Symphony roof gutters are sealed

3 posters

Go down

My Symphony roof gutters are sealed Empty My Symphony roof gutters are sealed

Post by Guest Sat Mar 16, 2013 3:39 pm

Noticed a few threads regarding roof gutters, mine appear to be completely sealed. I now assume that’s not original, I don’t seem to have any leaks so should I leave well alone or do these gutters serve another purpose?

Cheers Matt

My Symphony roof gutters are sealed P1010269_zps53c86b87
My Symphony roof gutters are sealed P1010270_zpsb5e9d14e
My Symphony roof gutters are sealed P1010271_zpsd830a8ab
The above image shows water from the roof flowing over the top edge of these gutters.
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

My Symphony roof gutters are sealed Empty Re: My Symphony roof gutters are sealed

Post by peugeotboxer Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:10 pm

Out of curiosity, what year is your AS

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

My Symphony roof gutters are sealed Empty Re: My Symphony roof gutters are sealed

Post by Guest Sat Mar 16, 2013 4:33 pm

Matt
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Sat Mar 16, 2013 6:04 pm

Matt

It looks like the gutters have been sealed up.
You can see on the end of both sides what looks like a drain hole.
Mine is 2000 and has drain holes on the bottom.

If the sealing on yours is letting water by, then the whole gutter section could be full of water?

It's almost like a previous owner had a leak somewhere and just sealed them up.

Think I might be inclined to 'poke' out the sealer at the two drain holes and see what comes out.

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Sat Mar 16, 2013 10:00 pm

peugeotboxer wrote:Matt

If the sealing on yours is letting water by, then the whole gutter section could be full of water?

Think I might be inclined to 'poke' out the sealer at the two drain holes and see what comes out.

PB

Thanks PB my thoughts as well, I got up and looked at them and it looks like they have been sealed all around. I guess if I open up the drain holes only it should be ok unless they pumped it full, ha ho joys of owning an old van I guess.

Cheers Matt
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:51 pm

Out of curiosity, along the sides and round to the back, you can actually get your fingers down behind the black plastic.
They are hard to keep clean behind there and build up green algae on the van.

Is there a gap along the top edge and the side of the van?
An awful lot of sealer would have to been used to completely seal the gap up!

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Flying High Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:37 pm

Oddsnends wrote:
peugeotboxer wrote:Matt

PB

Thanks PB my thoughts as well, I got up and looked at them and it looks like they have been sealed all around. I guess if I open up the drain holes only it should be ok unless they pumped it full, ha ho joys of owning an old van I guess.

Cheers Matt

Hi Oddends,

Just a matter of interest, how much water runs down the windscreen when you brake hard?.

My gutters which are open creates a torrent of water onto the screen and into the scuttle below which is the main cause of the water in the gearbox thread.

Best regards, Mike courtesy
Flying High
Flying High

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex BB?
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:15 am

Hi PB looks like the gutter is sealed all round whoever certainly used a lot of mastic.

My Symphony roof gutters are sealed P1010272_zps002e0f8b

My Symphony roof gutters are sealed P1010273_zps48f76a1d

Hi Flying High cant say as I have noticed anything out of the usual so I guess not much. There certainly would not be anything coming out of the gutter system hugegrins

I think I will leave well alone for now as the mastic looks new I'm wondering if the dealer I purchased the van from did it. I’ve have had a good look round and the only sign of a water stain is in the roof lining just about centre of the drivers sun visor but its very very slight.

I was originally concerned because I wondered if the gutters were in some way part of the upper ventilation system. There are some what look like vents to me above the sliding door where the table pole is stored and I thought the two might be connected.

Cheers Matt

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Mon Mar 18, 2013 11:50 am

Blimey Matt, certainly a lot of sealer used!!
Wonder if the staining at the front was the reason to seal everything up?

I think I would be inclined to 'clear' out the two drain holes at the front though just to be sure no water is trapped inside.

Thanks for the photos.

PB

By the way, the black plastic trim is exactly what it is.......a trim. Just 'hides' the hi-top join.
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Mon Mar 18, 2013 6:00 pm

The trim on our previous Auto Sleeper Trident was quite loose fitting, not many fixings to hold it from memory... so it could be a case of the sealant securing it to the vehicle, as these black trims cover the joins between the van and the GRP high top I can't see how it would cause any harm as long as pointed already that any trapped water that finds its way in can escape.

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Mon Mar 18, 2013 8:01 pm

Thanks for the comments will dig out the drain holes when the weather improves.

Cheers Matt
Anonymous

Back to top Go down