The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sagging roof lining in Symphony

4 posters

Go down

Sagging roof lining in Symphony Empty Sagging roof lining in Symphony

Post by WEXFORDBELLE Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:58 pm

Hi

I have noticed that when  my 2001 Symphony camper becomes hot inside that some of the roof lining forms areas where it sags:so_sad:, I think this is due to
the fact that the original adhesive has dried out, when it cools down at night the material shrinks and looks perfect again:think_smiley_4, my initial thoughts

were to take the whole inside roof down and reglue it which would be quite easy except that the wardrobe and toilet compartment was put in

after the lining and therefore would make it a big job:frustrating:, my next thoughts were if I put a warm iron across it may soften up the glue again, has

anybody had this problem before or has anybody got any suggestions please.

P.S. what a great and informative forum.allthumbz

regards Pat
WEXFORDBELLE

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony

Back to top Go down

Sagging roof lining in Symphony Empty Re: Sagging roof lining in Symphony

Post by -mojo- Tue Jun 18, 2013 2:40 pm

WEXFORDBELLE wrote:my next thoughts were if I put a warm iron across it may soften up the glue again

I'm pretty certain that the glue A-S originally used is a contact adhesive type which will not become sticky again through being heated in that way, and you need to be very careful as, if it's like the fabric on my previous van of around that period, it's synthetic and does not like being ironed!

Are you certain it's just in one piece? It's a bit unfortunate that it goes above the wardrobe & toilet - on mine it was in 5 parts (including the roof side panels) so I was lucky enough to be able to remove it with only the over-cab locker front and associated bits needing to come out first. But I appreciate that the Symphony is a slightly different internal layout than mine was.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:41 pm

On my '95 Symphony the roof lining is in two pieces - front & back, they overlap somewhere around the front of the forward facing rear seat.
I took mine out and recovered it after a water leak had made a stain. I used spray on adhesive which is made for roof lining, carpets etc..
The fabric glues onto a plywood backing which I slid out. I think I had to loosen the screws holding the upper cupboards and of course remove the lights but don't recall removing anything else. I certainly didn't dismantle the wardrobe, bathroom and cupboards
Your 2001 model may be different.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Sagging roof lining in Symphony Empty Sagging roof lining in Symphony

Post by WEXFORDBELLE Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:03 pm

Hi thanks for your input much appreciated, 

Frank you mentioned 2 sections, was it obvious when you looked at it or only when you dismantled the roof as I am pretty sure that

when I look up I cannot see a join I am taking my van out at the weekend (it is parked in a farm) and will double check.

thanks again,

Pat:allthumbz:
WEXFORDBELLE

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Wed Jun 19, 2013 2:37 pm

Hi Pat,
Yes! it's pretty obvious, as I said, your later model might be different (or mine might have been done on a Friday? smile!)

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by hamps_w Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:08 am

Another option would be to cut around the top of the wardrobe and cut through the ply. Leaving the old piece in situe above the cupboard. Then re-cover you "new shaped" panel. As i presume you would never see the old piece?
hamps_w
hamps_w

Male

Member Age : 44
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Fri Jun 28, 2013 10:24 am

hamps_w wrote:Another option would be to cut around the top of the wardrobe and cut through the ply. Leaving the old piece in situe above the cupboard. Then re-cover you "new shaped" panel. As i presume you would never see the old piece?
The roof lining (ply) is supported by being slotted in above the cupboards at one side and the wardrobe / washroom at the other. If you cut around these as you suggest, there would be no way of holding the lining up. My back section is only screwed to a supporting batten at it's front edge, which is overlapped by the front section. The front section is supported by the overcab locker BTW with a couple of screws at the overlap.

Pat's lining is one piece which will make removal "awkward" Perhaps mine was relined sometime in the past before I owned it and whoever did the job cut it into two for convenience, remaking the front section of ply longer to give the overlap?

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down