The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hookup. Vehicle battery charged on Symphony?

5 posters

Go down

Hookup.  Vehicle battery charged on Symphony? Empty Hookup. Vehicle battery charged on Symphony?

Post by marc4242 Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:10 pm

Hi All

When the green light is on, and the leisure battery is being charged while
on hook-up, is the vehicle battery also being charged? I don't have access
to my manual or multimeter at the moment.

Marc
marc4242
marc4242
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony

Back to top Go down

Hookup.  Vehicle battery charged on Symphony? Empty Re: Hookup. Vehicle battery charged on Symphony?

Post by peugeotboxer Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:41 pm

No

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Hookup.  Vehicle battery charged on Symphony? Empty Re: Hookup. Vehicle battery charged on Symphony?

Post by marc4242 Sat Mar 09, 2013 8:42 pm

Thanks. I'd assumed that, good to have it confirmed so I know to take care!

peugeotboxer wrote:No

PB
marc4242
marc4242
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mccormw Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:28 pm

Does it not depend on the charger that AS fitted? I have an EC155 and that definitely does charge the Vehicle battery - I have assumed I have to select the vehicle battery on the control panel for it to do so, but it definitely does charge the vehicle battery. The manual shows this on a schematic diagram even but doesn't really mention it much.

If you have an older vehicle you might find that the cigar lighter is always live. If so you could always buy a CTEC battery charger and plug it in on one of your camper sockets. Hookup your camper and bingo you are charging both. Otherwise make a connection onto the vehicle battery and charge via that.

I have ranted in the past about never discharging your vehicle battery so I won't again - well this time anyway. champagne
mccormw
mccormw

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex duo

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:31 pm

mccormw wrote:
If you have an older vehicle you might find that the cigar lighter is always live. If so you could always buy a CTEC battery charger and plug it in on one of your camper sockets. Hookup your camper and bingo you are charging both. Otherwise make a connection onto the vehicle battery and charge via that.

It's a '98 Symphony.
The cigar lighter route is a good idea and expect that it is probably live all the time.

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:43 pm

My 97 Symphony has the cigar lighter live all the time so I take a smart charger with me, Aldi and Lidl often have them at around £14
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by rogerblack Mon Mar 11, 2013 3:01 pm

Or if you want a fit-and-forget solution to take care of it automatically, and don't mind spending a little bit more, these do a great job, have fitted one on our last three motorhomes:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
rogerblack
rogerblack
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Pollensa/Boxer2.8HDi
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by marc4242 Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:38 pm

Mine is a zig MC4000-m. No mention on it of the vehicle battery. Yes, I do have a CTEC so in future I'll take it along.

Our only previous campervan was a little Romahome on a Bedford Rascal, we didn't have a leisure battery so every time we stopped (for the weekend or whatever) out came the 13mm (or was it 10) and off came the negative lead off the vehicle battery ... smile!

mccormw wrote:Does it not depend on the charger that AS fitted? I have an EC155 and that definitely does charge the Vehicle battery - I have assumed I have to select the vehicle battery on the control panel for it to do so, but it definitely does charge the vehicle battery. The manual shows this on a schematic diagram even but doesn't really mention it much.

I have ranted in the past about never discharging your vehicle battery so I won't again - well this time anyway. champagne
marc4242
marc4242
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by marc4242 Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:42 pm

That's great, thanks Roger. While I'm getting engineer to put dual gas types in, I'll get one of those too.

rogerblack wrote:Or if you want a fit-and-forget solution to take care of it automatically, and don't mind spending a little bit more, these do a great job, have fitted one on our last three motorhomes:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
marc4242
marc4242
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down