The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Changing interior spot lighting to LED's

+3
modelman
roli
Bulletguy
7 posters

Go down

Changing interior spot lighting to LED's Empty Changing interior spot lighting to LED's

Post by Bulletguy Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:56 am

Anyone recently purchased any of the 12v LED bulbs off eBay for the internal spots?

I found a thread from last year where someone bought 10 bulbs for £11 off an Ebay Trader but unfortunately the link is dead. Seems to be a variety of shapes and varying shades of white so would be interested to know which ones folk found the best and which to avoid.
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Changing interior spot lighting to LED's Empty Re: Changing interior spot lighting to LED's

Post by roli Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:20 am

This is a popular modification easily done including conversion from tubes to LEDs you will find if you do a search (Murphs postings)

Beware of cheap LEDs off ebay, not all are good value may be pay a bit more from a known supplier for a longer life
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Changing interior spot lighting to LED's Empty Re: Changing interior spot lighting to LED's

Post by modelman Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:40 am

Might have something here for you.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by PennyandDerek Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:45 pm

After studying all the different configurations, I finally decided that the 10off 5050SMD Warm White design would give the equivalent lumens.(80 if I remember rightly)
The four leds cost me £7.72 off Ebay.

My ebay archive shows the description as;
MR11 G4 10SMD LED Spotlight

We've been really happy with the results.
Been on the road a lot this winter and it's been really comforting knowing that we can have lots of light for reading during the long evenings without tanking the leisure battery.

Derek
PennyandDerek
PennyandDerek
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES Lowline
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:29 pm

roli wrote:This is a popular modification easily done including conversion from tubes to LEDs you will find if you do a search (Murphs postings)

Beware of cheap LEDs off ebay, not all are good value may be pay a bit more from a known supplier for a longer life

Blimey.....just done a search on 'Murph' and the poor guy was in Intensive Care last month.

Converting the 12v tube lights is certainly worth a thought and I would pay a bit more for those. As for the spots I only use a couple or three at most. As for 'cheap LED's off eBay'....the price difference between those and UK supplied is quite big, in fact huge! If the fleabay ones give just a couple of seasons service, at the price they cost you could easily buy another four sets before coming even close to what UK supplied ones cost.

All are probably made in China anyway!

Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:53 pm

PennyandDerek wrote:After studying all the different configurations, I finally decided that the 10off 5050SMD Warm White design would give the equivalent lumens.(80 if I remember rightly)
The four leds cost me £7.72 off Ebay.

My ebay archive shows the description as;
MR11 G4 10SMD LED Spotlight

We've been really happy with the results.
Been on the road a lot this winter and it's been really comforting knowing that we can have lots of light for reading during the long evenings without tanking the leisure battery.

Derek

Derek

Do you mean these? [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I also found these; [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

But what concerns me about both is it doesn't look possible to re-fit the lens cap once the bulb unit is in and also I can't see how the light could still swivel? I may be wrong.

These seem to fit the existing measurements of the ones in my Duetto; [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Blossom Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:29 pm

Hi.

I have fitted some cheapies from ebay, I believe they were about £8 for ten in warm white.
I found it necessary to shorten the contacts slightly with a pair of snips and for some of my spotlights I had to switch the pos and neg wires at the connection up above the light unit. Working well at the moment but not had them long enough to comment on lifespan.
Regards

Brad
Blossom
Blossom
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Harper22 Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:52 pm

Blossom wrote:Hi.

I have fitted some cheapies from ebay, I believe they were about £8 for ten in warm white.
I found it necessary to shorten the contacts slightly with a pair of snips and for some of my spotlights I had to switch the pos and neg wires at the connection up above the light unit. Working well at the moment but not had them long enough to comment on lifespan.
Regards

Brad

depending on the style you bought is it not easier to swap the bulb round? I had to do the same in my cab o/h spots, put em in one way and didnt work, spun them round and they did.
Harper22
Harper22

Male

Member Age : 45
Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post by Blossom Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:42 pm

Hi Harper22.

It may be possible to do as you suggest with some types but the ones I bought were flat and for memory about 22mm in diameter and could only be fitted one way. To reverse them would mean the leds would be at the back and shining the wrong way - as I see it scratch head

Brad
Blossom
Blossom
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Harper22 Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:46 pm

yes I know the sort you mean, Flat disk with the pins coming flat out from the side. My downlighters have the pins in the top not the side so I was able to get the capsule style ones and just flip them. Makes much more sense now smile!
Harper22
Harper22

Male

Member Age : 45
Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:07 pm

Bulletguy wrote:
roli wrote:This is a popular modification easily done including conversion from tubes to LEDs you will find if you do a search (Murphs postings)

Blimey.....just done a search on 'Murph' and the poor guy was in Intensive Care last month.

Converting the 12v tube lights is certainly worth a thought and I would pay a bit more for those. As for the spots I only use a couple or three at most. As for 'cheap LED's off eBay'....the price difference between those and UK supplied is quite big, in fact huge! If the fleabay ones give just a couple of seasons service, at the price they cost you could easily buy another four sets before coming even close to what UK supplied ones cost.

All are probably made in China anyway!

Re the tube light to LED conversion, I've just updated this thread:
with a UK source for warm-white LED strips. It's a long thread with many revisions; might be worth reading the last page first!

I've ordered some LEDs for our Topaz reading spots; these are tiny G4 halogens at the moment (not the MR11 type illustrated in this thread) still waiting for shipping from China!

Cheers,
Pete.
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanton.
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:32 pm

Pete Taylor wrote:
Re the tube light to LED conversion, I've just updated this thread:

Useful link Pete. up!

Scanning fleabay more I came across this UK seller with a variety of LED's for strip lighting. [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down