The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reupholstery of 2000 reg symphony

+6
Peel
mikemelson
whisky
Harper22
-mojo-
hyperspaniel
10 posters

Go down

Reupholstery of 2000 reg symphony Empty Reupholstery of 2000 reg symphony

Post by hyperspaniel Sun Jan 27, 2013 6:17 pm

I've noticed in all vans I've seen for sale that the original upholstery and curtains seems to be the norm. Is this because people like the original as I think I would like it updating a bit (as I'm not keen on blue pattern with those floral curtains) whereas my husband thinks it may affect the resale value and desirability of the van! Having changed from a very beautifully presented modern caravan I'm finding this colour quite dark and clashy! Any comments would be appreciated? confused3
hyperspaniel
hyperspaniel

Female

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony

Back to top Go down

Reupholstery of 2000 reg symphony Empty Re: Reupholstery of 2000 reg symphony

Post by -mojo- Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:46 pm

As long as it's done tastefully I doubt it would have any major effect on resale value - particularly for an older van.

However, unless you are handy with that sort of thing yourself, don't underestimate the cost of having a professional upholsterer do the work! It is likely to be quite expensive from my experience of this area of the country...
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Harper22 Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:09 pm

hyperspaniel wrote:I've noticed in all vans I've seen for sale that the original upholstery and curtains seems to be the norm. Is this because people like the original as I think I would like it updating a bit (as I'm not keen on blue pattern with those floral curtains) whereas my husband thinks it may affect the resale value and desirability of the van! Having changed from a very beautifully presented modern caravan I'm finding this colour quite dark and clashy! Any comments would be appreciated? confused3

If you do happen to get yours recovered and your exisisting fabric is the same as bellow i would be interested in buying some of the old covers from you
although it sounds like you have the more paisley/flowery fabric

Regards smile!

Reupholstery of 2000 reg symphony 72939_10151763516295425_1526541290_n_zps08def0af
Harper22
Harper22

Male

Member Age : 45
Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post by whisky Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:48 pm

Hi Hyperspaniel.

As Harper22 says do not just throw away the old fabric as quite a lot of people who like to keep their vans as original as possible would readily buy it from you. A lot of fabrics are no longer available not even from AS. So fabric to complete repairs are quite in demand.
Advertise it in the forum for sale section.

Cheers. whisky. champagne

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by Harper22 Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:56 pm

whisky wrote:Hi Hyperspaniel.

As Harper22 says do not just throw away the old fabric as quite a lot of people who like to keep their vans as original as possible would readily buy it from you. A lot of fabrics are no longer available not even from AS. So fabric to complete repairs are quite in demand.
Advertise it in the forum for sale section.

Cheers. whisky. champagne

hugegrins Just remember who asked first lmao hugegrins i only need about 2 metres tho so i will share nicely look here
Harper22
Harper22

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by whisky Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:03 pm

Harper 22. wrote.

hugegrins Just remember who asked first lmao hugegrins i only need about 2 metres tho so i will share nicely look here

Sorry H. Quite right too. gimmefive

Whisky.

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by mikemelson Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:18 pm

hyperspaniel wrote:I've noticed in all vans I've seen for sale that the original upholstery and curtains seems to be the norm. Is this because people like the original as I think I would like it updating a bit (as I'm not keen on blue pattern with those floral curtains) whereas my husband thinks it may affect the resale value and desirability of the van! Having changed from a very beautifully presented modern caravan I'm finding this colour quite dark and clashy! Any comments would be appreciated? confused3

Unless the material is damaged or badly worn, my advice (as a retired upholsterer) is keep it, have it professionally cleaned. The earlier coverings were thicker, harder wearing & much better quality than the later examples.
My Symbol is 2004 & the upholstery cloth is inferior in quality to the vans of the nineties.
Also, to have the job done PROPERLY, inc' curtains, it will cost a bomb. Keep it!

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2024

Back to top Go down

Post by hyperspaniel Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:37 pm

Thanks for all the comments, the fabric in our van is more swirly/florally than the one shown in the reply I think but will check tomorrow. Some very interesting comments, I did get a quote from regal for upholstery and realise it will be quite expensive. But glad to know I may be able to pass the fabric on for others. I'm just having to deal with the fact I don't like blue and I don't like floral - maybe I'll see how I feel in a couple of months and then make a decision scratch head !!
hyperspaniel
hyperspaniel

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Peel Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:48 pm

If you don't like it change it: life's too short...
Will get round to having mine done one of these days. I know some folk on here prize originality highly but I'm sure plenty more don't mind as long as what's there is tasteful and high quality.
Peel
Peel

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident

Back to top Go down

Post by Minniesmum Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:10 pm

If you can afford it, then do it. I'd love to change my curtains and am plotting that one up!

Female

Member Age : 70

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:47 pm

You can always buy some new material from Alan at the Auto-Sleeper parts department as you can buy it by the sqr mtr and they have the more recent designs in a number of different patterns and different colours, so you could just obtain a fabric that Auto-Sleepers use in the newer vans and then get an upholsterer to recover and run up some curtains etc with the supplied material.....

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Minniesmum Wed Jan 30, 2013 2:57 pm

I find some of the combinations of uppholstery fabric/ curtain patterns , odd to say the least. I like my '97 Symphony uppholstery fabric- kind of op-art/geometric grey/ green with a touch of pink. But the curtains are hideous cream flowery chintzy things- ughhhh ! hugegrins wonder if I can dye them ......? Lol. scratch head

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Harper22 Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:52 pm

Minniesmum wrote:I find some of the combinations of uppholstery fabric/ curtain patterns , odd to say the least. I like my '97 Symphony uppholstery fabric- kind of op-art/geometric grey/ green with a touch of pink. But the curtains are hideous cream flowery chintzy things- ughhhh ! hugegrins wonder if I can dye them ......? Lol. scratch head

I have to say I thought the same when I was looking at getting my van in the first place, I think 99 was when they changed the curtains to something that matched better. I dyed my awning curtains and they came out ok but obviouysly bear in mind the rules of colour when selecting ie yellow would go green over blue etc
Harper22
Harper22

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by hyperspaniel Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:24 pm

Ours is a 2000 reg and I have the same as Minniesmum and have the greeny blue with pinkish flashes and the curtains are the floral chintz - ick!! Whoever chose that combination at Autosleeper must love clashing designs and colours. After reading the replies I think I will definitely change the curtains, (keeping the old ones for if and when we sell the van for the purists!!), and see if that improves my liking of the van upholstery. If I still can't stand the upholstery after this season then I will definitely change it but not necessarily for autosleeper fabric. Maybe leopard print!!! lol4 (joke!!!) Thanks for all your comments.
hyperspaniel
hyperspaniel

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by modelman Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:48 pm

Minniesmum wrote:I find some of the combinations of uppholstery fabric/ curtain patterns , odd to say the least. I like my '97 Symphony uppholstery fabric- kind of op-art/geometric grey/ green with a touch of pink. But the curtains are hideous cream flowery chintzy things- ughhhh ! hugegrins wonder if I can dye them ......? Lol. scratch head

Is yours like this Cath??Reupholstery of 2000 reg symphony FloorRunners

I don't like mine at all, perfect condition, but it never LOOKS clean, but it is, reminds me of upchuck smile!

If it were only on the seats etc. I'd think about changing it, but its on the side-wall panels, divider supports, & rear unit frames, much too much to change.

Then, on top of all that, everything else is a sort of blue/green-ish, so its a no no for me, I'll just have to live with it smile!

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Amethyst
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Reupholstery of 2000 reg symphony Empty Dyeing curtains

Post by Doris Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:50 pm

You have to be very lucky to completely dye out patterns and it is the flowery pattern that you want to make disappear. Also the thread might not turn out the same colour. It is much easier Minniesmum to make new curtains. It takes less material than you think. Measure the existing ones and work out on paper the most economical way to cut them so that you do not buy to much as I did, unless you want matching cushions. The correct tape is available on line, it is totally different from any tape I have used before. Likewise replacement hooks and runners
The worst bit was putting the curtains back but the method is different for each type of van. The result was well worth it to get rid of the floral pattern.

Louise
Doris
Doris
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 78
Vehicle Year : 1992

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:40 pm

Some of the upholstery patterns used by AutoSleepers over the years can look rather dated, but in their defence at the time they were probably reasonably fashionable patterns and colours. The fabrics used these days are quite modern looking but in 10 to 15 yrs time they will probably seem old fashioned as well smile!

We liked the fabric in our Trident which was a plain mintish green colour and had a light herringbone pattern in it but I've heard others say how much they hate that particular colour shrugg if you have the luxury of buying from new then at least you can choose your fabric but buying on the used market it's usually a compromise on price and the general condition of the vehicle rather than the fact you might not like the fabric. We were quite relieved when we viewed our Nuevo as we quite like the Aparo fabric which is mainly a burnt orange and beige which makes for a warm looking interior which we quite like smile!

The cost to change the upholstery wouldn't be cheap and must take you well into four figures, having said this I've seen adverts stating have your motorhome fully upholstered in a day shrugg so it might not be such a horror story.... As others have said the older vans do seem to have better quality fabrics but the newer models now being produced seem to have nicer quality fabrics from Belgium I believe (not sure why this makes them any better) and also they now use a type of memory foam in the seating which seems to work well, certainly feels quite lush on my backside when I've tried one or two out anyway hugegrins

A cheaper option might be to buy some material and get some loose covers fitted over the seating and have some matching curtains ran up which would certainly give it a facelift without spending a fortune.

CC

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by hyperspaniel Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:01 pm

mines more bluey green/darker, I haven't got any internal photos yet, than yours but still not particularly attractive, and you're right loads of door panels need doing and mines only a symphony, it looks like yours has even more to cover! I'm quite surprised how many replies I had as I thought I was being a right fussy thing, but I feel loads better getting all of these comments in reply.
hyperspaniel
hyperspaniel

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:03 pm

Reupholstering can make a really big difference, but its needs to be done in keeping with the vehicle, so as not to detract future buyers, (assuming you don’t want to keep a van forever). One of the problems with later vans is that they use a chenille fabric with no interfacing material between the foam and the fabric. The result is that it wears and rubs against the foam. A good re-upholsterer will include this material. The older A/S vas used a draylon fabric, which is very hardwearing and has a backing to protect it against the foam.

John
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Minniesmum Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:24 am

modelman wrote:

Is yours like this Cath??Reupholstery of 2000 reg symphony FloorRunners

I don't like mine at all, perfect condition, but it never LOOKS clean, but it is, reminds me of upchuck smile!

If it were only on the seats etc. I'd think about changing it, but its on the side-wall panels, divider supports, & rear unit frames, much too much to change.

Then, on top of all that, everything else is a sort of blue/green-ish, so its a no no for me, I'll just have to live with it smile!
Mine is sort of like this but more geometric. I'll take a pic and post it later.

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Minniesmum Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:31 am

Doris wrote:You have to be very lucky to completely dye out patterns and it is the flowery pattern that you want to make disappear. Also the thread might not turn out the same colour. It is much easier Minniesmum to make new curtains. It takes less material than you think. Measure the existing ones and work out on paper the most economical way to cut them so that you do not buy to much as I did, unless you want matching cushions. The correct tape is available on line, it is totally different from any tape I have used before. Likewise replacement hooks and runners
The worst bit was putting the curtains back but the method is different for each type of van. The result was well worth it to get rid of the floral pattern.

Louise
Thanks Louise up! Not sure where to buy the curtain tape /hooks from- perhaps Autosleeper ? Removing and re-fitting looks like it might be fiddly. Also fitting the press-studs. I'll certainly look into replacing the curtains. The up-pholstery fabric is in perfect condition and besides I tend to cover the settee/chair with fleece throws anyway so the pattern is mostly covered up. up!

Female

Back to top Go down