The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Topaz: mystery pipe!

+2
Paulmold
Pete Taylor
6 posters

Go down

Topaz: mystery pipe! Empty Topaz: mystery pipe!

Post by Pete Taylor Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:42 pm

Whilst searching for the battery charger, in the locker under the bench seat, I found a clear plastic tube coming up through the floor; it has a white plastic 90 degree elbow on the end but was swinging loose! Can anyone tell me what it is for and where it should be "plugged in to"? I suspect that it might be a drain-tube for something.

Cheers,
Pete
Topaz: mystery pipe! 8397797867_d080f6ed51_z

Last edited by Pete Taylor on Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanton.
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Topaz: mystery pipe! Empty Re: Topaz: mystery pipe!

Post by Paulmold Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:50 pm

Sounds like a breather pipe to fit on end of battery so that gassing fumes from the battery are expelled outside. You should find a short open ended lug on the end of the battery to push it onto.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:59 pm

Pete,

It may be meant to be fitted to a battery tray to drain any battery fluid that overflows from the battery when topping up the battery cells with distilled water. Sulphuric acid (battery acid) is extremely corrosive and a tray protects any underlying fabric or structure from damage.

As a general rule "Maintenance Free", "Sealed", "Gel" and "Leisure" batteries don't need to be topped up with distilled water and therefore a spill of battery fluid is unlikely. In view of this, maybe a previous owner has removed the tray to which the tube was attached.

Alternatively, it may have been fitted to an "overflow" on a particular design of battery for the same reason.

Hope this helps.

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

PS

I don't think the tube can be a vent because Hydrogen (a by-product of battery charging) is the lightest gas known and therefore any vents are normally at the top of a battery compartment.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Stevebowtie Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:27 pm

Hi Pete,
It looks like a battery vent pipe. If there's an outlet on your battery, just push it in. Some batteries have them, some don't.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Steve
Stevebowtie
Stevebowtie

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : Rambler

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:36 pm

it is a ventilation pipe as others have pointed out, it attaches to the leisure battery and goes through the floor to remove the gasses given off from the battery during charging. Our Nuevo has this setup and the pipe removes the dangerous Hydrogen gas given off by the battery while being charged, it fits into an outlet on the top of one of the battery sides.

CC

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:59 pm

Thanks folks; I have run my fingers around all sides of the battery near the top- no holes to plug into. Of course I don't know if this battery is original, it looks quite clean.
Would a gel-type, maintenance-free battery have a vent? I can understand it on an old-fashioned wet battery; I seem to remember having to leave the cell-plugs loose when charging those up in yesteryear.
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanton.
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by kenjones Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:06 pm

It does look like a battery vent tube but it is in the wrong place. Perhaps it's something to do with the water heater. My Topaz leisure battery is in the cupboard under the hob on the opposite side of the vehicle to your photo and does have a clear plastic vent tube which goes through the floor. I'll have a look at mine as soon as I can get to it.
kenjones
kenjones
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : T4 Topaz LE
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down