The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Topaz waste pipe size?

3 posters

Go down

Topaz waste pipe size? Empty Topaz waste pipe size?

Post by hiro Tue Jun 03, 2014 6:22 pm

On my first trip in my new (to me) Topaz, I was reversing into a pitch over rough ground and stupidly wrenched the waste water pipe off (still getting used to the extra 2ft of length to my car, and sitting 2ft higher!).  I managed to put it back on and clipped the tap back into the screw holes, but unfortunately on arriving home it had gone  so_sad 

I ordered some replacement pipe and a tap from CAK tanks, but unfortunately the size I ordered (1"), despite looking the same as the other one, has too big an internal diameter to fit on.  I've searched everywhere I can think of but can't find what size I need (seems to be about 17/18mm), can anyone tell me what I need please?  

Cheers
Andy
hiro
hiro

Male

Member Age : 60
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz

Back to top Go down

Topaz waste pipe size? Empty Re: Topaz waste pipe size?

Post by Dutto Tue Jun 03, 2014 7:54 pm

Hi there,

If it is only a small difference I would just take a few wraps of insulating tape around the spigot to increase the diameter and then fix it on with a Jubilee Clip.

Having a pipe with a slightly larger diameter than the spigot is beneficial as it reduces the chance of blockages.  allthumbz 

Best regards,
 drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by hiro Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:16 pm

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately the difference is just too great, even with PTFE tape wrapped round the outlet, tightening up the jubilee clip distorts the pipe and water just leaks past it.  It's just bigger than a standard 15mm fitting, but only by a couple of mils.  Can't seem to find any anywhere, why did they have to pick such an awkward size? 

Cheers
Andy
hiro
hiro

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by hiro Tue Jun 03, 2014 8:45 pm

The only options I've been able to find so far are IDs of 16 or 19mm from Hoseworld, which sounds like a very specific, but rather dull theme park.

Time to breathe in and squeeze myself underneath again and take some measurements next chance I get

Cheers
Andy
hiro
hiro

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Tue Jun 03, 2014 10:03 pm

Andy,

Think on lad!  think_smiley_46 

PTFE Tape is designed to be slippy (hence PTFE coated frying pans) and it is designed to deform easily when used to seal threaded connections.

You would probably have been better trying to seal it with string!

On the other hand, insulation tape is about ten times thicker than PTFE tape, is a lot harder to deform and will readily conform to the right sized Jubilee clip.

Alternatively, in my own garden shed and garage I have access to armoured clear piping, hose pipe, duct tape, aluminium tape and two sided tape.  All of which could be (and have been) used to make something fit!

Don't give up so easily!!  tap_fingers 

Best regards,
 drinksallround 
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Pete Taylor Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:25 pm

Assuming your Topaz is approximately the same vintage as ours (2007) and has the same pipe size:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I broke the "handle" off one of our taps and these are a direct replacement. For some reason all plumbing fittings in the UK and most of Europe are still in BSP sizes (British Standard Pipe). I assume it is the plumbing industries was of getting back at Napoleon.  champagne
Pete Taylor
Pete Taylor
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanton.
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by hiro Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:28 pm

Haha thanks for the words of encouragement Ian  hugegrins  up!

I tried duct tape first of all but it had to be so thick that when I tightened the jubilee clip, the hose didn't deform regularly and creased in sharp lines, allowing the water to leak out.  I thought I was being clever using plumbers tape and that it would seal the gaps but I just couldn't get it on thick enough.  I didn't have any old bits of pipe around but you're probably right about giving up too early, just didn't want to do a bodge that I then had to fix 3000 miles from home. 

Pete, you're right thanks, it is indeed 3/4" hose, I emailed Autosleepers for the info and they replied amazingly quickly.  For what it costs I may as well order the right size.

Thanks both  allthumbz
hiro
hiro

Male

Back to top Go down