The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Towbar mounted cycle rack

+2
Gram
crumb
6 posters

Go down

Towbar mounted cycle rack Empty Towbar mounted cycle rack

Post by crumb Thu Jan 17, 2013 5:26 pm

I've just overcome a bit of a dilema, we tow a trailer with not enough room for cycles but didn't want to start drilling holes in the back of the van, what to do? well there's this rack from Maypole, the bracket fits behind the towball and the rack is easily fitted or removed without tools and folds up neatly when not in use, it says it's for 3 bikes but i'm not sure you could fit more than the 2 shown here also there is a weight restriction of 40KG.

Towbar mounted cycle rack 036_zps9278f433

Towbar mounted cycle rack 038_zpsde5aed25

Towbar mounted cycle rack 039_zpsdee6f943

Towbar mounted cycle rack 040_zpsb5c93288
crumb
crumb
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Towbar mounted cycle rack Empty Re: Towbar mounted cycle rack

Post by Gram Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:41 pm

Thanks, crumb.

I have baulked at the idea of a door mounted bike rack on my Symbol but I haven't seen a towbar mounted bike rack on this type of van before now.

It's a solution I may well copy.

G
Gram
Gram

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:06 pm

This is the one I have fitted:

http://www.roofbox.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4_tab.php/car-specific-accessories/thule_rideon_2_bike_tow_bar_carrier_no_9502/Qx@w,6M42VAwp3@Rb%7B~cC4ure5K%7B%7BN

although I didn't pay that much!

I usually carry 2 bikes.

I wish that I had bought the 3 bike version, because when a bike is on the rack nearest the back doors, the straight handlebars have to be turned or else they hit the door window.
On the outer rack, the handlebars miss, so if I had the 3 bike rack I would be able to use the two outer racks for the two bikes without any adjustment to the handlebars.

Apart from that it's a super piece of kit.

Oh, one other thing, you can't open the back doors when it is fitted!

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by Gram Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:35 pm

Good point about the handlebars, PB - thanks.

G
Gram
Gram

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2009

Back to top Go down

Post by andygump Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:03 pm

Hi 

I had one like this for many years It was called a Paddy Hopkirk cycle Rack

I never quite trusted it with two bikes on it, so I always rigged an additional strap to prevent it tilting backwards.      Very quick and easy to use though.

Andy up!
andygump

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:28 pm

Witter have a range of behind-towball-mounted bike racks that have the advantage of being stronger (the one I had was supposed to be able to take 4 bikes) but they are slightly less compact when not in use and broken down.

Recently there also seem to have been a profusion of on-towball mounted racks if you don't need to use a trailer at the same time. Atera make some superb-looking ones that slide backwards to clear rear doors/hatches and make bike loading easier, but they aren't cheap!:

http://www.atera.co.uk/scripts/rbvehsel4.php?emulate=accgen&query=20384

Not quite as elegant is Diamant's, which folds down (lights, number plate and all) small enough to fit in a small car boot. Thule and Westfalia also sell their own variants.

The choice is so large I'm having trouble deciding, but I'll probably go for a Diamant if p.f.jones stock them again...
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by dencol Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:47 am

thanks for the info never seen or thought of a behind the tow bar mounting.

Have been thinking about a cycle rack for the electric bike but still need access to the tow bar for the trike and most cycle racks are rather large to store.

will be looking at this as a possible solution, just one question if I may re security, my insurance co insist on the bike being secured with a padlock and chain to the rack or van (tow bar bracket) is this possible

Thanks
dencol
dencol

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : Dorset

Back to top Go down

Towbar mounted cycle rack Empty Tow bar mounted cycle rack

Post by crumb Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:20 pm

The point about the handle bars is a good one and the reason i mentioned it only carrying two bikes, i suppose if the rack was on the back of a saloon car the bars would be over the boot lid, the cycles are strapped to the yellow bars and also from both wheels to the step this has the effect of pulling the handle bars further away from the van. As regards security, if you have a cable lock it will loop through the bike frames and the bar that forces the main frame apart, the frame cannot be removed with bikes on it unless the thieves unbolt the bracket from the tow bar. I hope this all helps, since the original post in January we have used the rack a lot with no problems.allthumbz
crumb
crumb
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 61
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:55 pm

dencol wrote:just one question if I may re security, my insurance co insist on the bike being secured with a padlock and chain to the rack or van (tow bar bracket) is this possible

The Witter carriers have a thick steel loop welded to the base that you can attach a chain or security cable to.

The more expensive ones have built-in locks that prevent the rack from being removed from the vehicle and the bikes from being taken off the rack. However I'm not sure if these locks meet UK insurance company requirements.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:25 pm

My Thule rack has a key lock to prevent it being removed from the towball.
There is an upright bar that can be used to padlock the bikes to when travelling.

I wouldn't use it for electric bikes though.....they are a different animal and too heavy.

I never did like the 'scissor' type of attachment which you 'hang' the bikes from. Much prefer them to be 'standing'.

Personal choice.

When fitted to a saloon or estate car, it can be lowered to access the boot. Unfortunately it doesn't lower enough to open the back doors. However, it is so easy and simple to attach / detach. 

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down