The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Topaz

5 posters

Go down

Topaz Empty Topaz

Post by kenste94 Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:01 am

Thanks for the responses on new members. I have bought the Topaz that was advertised on here. I picked it up from Hertfordshire and it was a couple of hundred + miles home in foul weather but it ran great. It is the 2.5 diesel automatic, I was a little apprehensive because it was a noisy when I tested it at low speed, auto and diesel, but I already have an auto RAV 4 so went for it. No problem at all there is no engine noise at speed and the 2.5 pulls well in all gears, get into trouble well to be honest. I did intend to take it steady and check the MPG but hey ho.
I didn't notice until I got home that there are no infill cushions for the beds. Without them the beds are only about 5' 6" long. I will have to try and source some. The seller did leave wine glasses so things aren't all bad.
It must be the economy model because it has manual windows and mirrors, the handbook even mentions trip computers, as if. I told myself it was so you don't run the battery down, but there you go, my glass is always half full. I am considering if it is feasible to retro fit electric widows and mirrors, I'm a softie really. I was also looking at fitting a motorbike rack, I'm not sure what weight of bike the van would carry before the front wheels lift or the back suspension collapses.
Hope to meet some of you soon, I'll be the one with the stoop from sleeping in the short bed.
Ken.
kenste94
kenste94

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : 2000 Topaz 2.5tdi au

Back to top Go down

Topaz Empty Re: Topaz

Post by Ann B Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:35 pm

Congratulations on getting your Topaz. Love driving ours and even fight Mr B for the driver's seat. Not used to diesel so it did seem a bit noisy in lower gears at first but soon got used to that.
Don't understand why the lack of seat fillers would make a difference to the length. Don't you have to turn the cab seats round anyway? My fillers just sit on the turned-round seats.

Enjoy your new 'toy'
Ann B
Ann B
Donator
Donator

Female

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:18 pm

I guess electric windows and mirrors are a personal thing, in that I don't really value them that much. In technical terms in shouldn't be complex as the looms will probably already be there (or at least the holes to feed them through).

Before considering fitting a motorbike rack you'll need to do a careful study of both the gross laden weight and the individual axle limits for the van. Just assuming it will "probably be OK" is not a good idea, as VOSA do random checks (which aren't very random - they pick on vans and lorries for obvious reasons), and if you are overloaded they won't just let you off. It will be points and a fine.

Loading your van as if about to go away and taking it to a public weighbridge is a good idea, because then you will know how much headroom (if any) you have to play with.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:54 pm

Hi Ken
If you want to fit electric windows then IMO don't go for the budget kits on ebay but go for something that is OEM fit like this [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
On offer at the moment maybe you can drop some hints re early Xmas presents!! Whistle1
There will be no wiring in your van at present but this sort of kits has all you need.

On the subject of cushions i'm not sure the age of your Topaz, but the bed arrangements have changed over the years. In the earlier models there was an infill in cushion on both sides to make the beds up. On latter models this was removed.

John
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by kenste94 Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:56 pm

Hi, thanks for the responses, some of the mods are just nice to haves when I get round to them but the beds need sorting soonest. I thought all the Topaz's or is it Topai, were the same layout. The van is a 2000 reg. the bench seat is 48" long and the drivers seat is 18" so only a 5' 6" bed. The passenger side forward facing seat when pulled out is only 45" and seat turned round gives 5' 3" although the seller got back to me and said they used to recline the passenger seat back to give the length, but that can't happen with the drivers side. The original handbook from Essex Motorcaravan Centre a narrow infill cushion between the drivers seat and the bench seat and a wider one between the passenger seat and the forward facing seat. it also shows a similar cushion fitting long ways between the seats when used as a double bed and the tapered cushions on the seats. The '98 van I looked at had them all but I can't remember where they all went when not used. Cheers.
kenste94
kenste94

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ssjohnl Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:33 am

Our Topaz is a year 2000 as well. We definitely need the three infill cushions to make the bed usable. The left and right ones are just foam blocks but the middle one has a swing out leg to support it.
We've had ours for a year now and have thoroughly enjoyed our first venture into campers.
John
ssjohnl
ssjohnl

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : SYMBOL
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by DaveyP2004 Tue Nov 06, 2012 11:35 am

Hi,
I recently bought a 2004 T4 Topaz with the 3 infill cushions and if its any help I can take some photos and post them on here?

Problem is when not in use the cushions will take up most of the space in the top locker (or under seat storage behind drivers seat).

We think we can manage without one of the infill cushions to save carrying it as we are struggling for space anyway.

Cheers,
Dave
([You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
DaveyP2004
DaveyP2004

Auto-Sleeper Model : VW T4 Topaz LE

Back to top Go down

Topaz Empty Topaz

Post by kenste94 Tue Nov 13, 2012 9:57 pm

Hi,
I'm back at work again, but needs must. It would be great if you could post some pictures of the cushions and how they fit, thanks. I drained the van down before I came away. The handbook was helpful and suggested I drain down the water heater, it even showed a little sketch of it. It didn't say where it was though, you probably all knew that and I do now after looking under seats and in cupboards and eventually finding it outsdie on the vent. I also gave it a good wash, even the roof, which led me to find the main roof vent broken and covered with peeling duct tape. I'm surprised water hadn't got in, there's been lots of rain since I got it. I'm not sure if I should just replace the cover or it was suggested by a friend to fit a different type which would give more light. Anything would give more light than the black bag that's covering it now. Cheers,
Ken.
kenste94
kenste94

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:03 am

Hi again Ken
I don't have any pictures / layout of the cushions, as no longer have a Topaz. I'm sure someone on this forum will be able to help.

Black bag over the rooflight doen't sound good so_sad I fitted a heiki roof light to one of my Topazs as shown below. Makes a big difference. If you want further info let me know. Its not a difficult mod.

John

Topaz P1010002

Topaz P1010009-1
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Topaz Empty Topaz Cushions

Post by DaveyP2004 Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:30 am

Heres some photos of the bed assembly on my 2004 T4 Topaz - I think earlier versions may be different.
Topaz TopazBed1
Topaz TopazBed2
Topaz TopazBed3
Topaz TopazBed4
Topaz TopazBed5
Topaz TopazBed6
Topaz TopazBed7
Topaz TopazBed8

Hope that helps smile!
Cheers,
Dave

Back to top Go down

Topaz Empty Heater Drain Valve T4 Topaz Truma Ultrastore

Post by DaveyP2004 Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:37 am

I think the heater drain plug position varies depending on year. On 2004 T4 Topaz fitted with Truma Ultrastore heater it is under the sofa seat, It is the yellow lever. When lifted upright the water drains out of a clear hose under the van. From what I have read on earlier vans you remove the heater outlet cover on the outside of the van and turn a screw? to open the valve.
Topaz HeaterDrainTap

Cheers,
Dave

Back to top Go down

Topaz Empty Topaz

Post by kenste94 Wed Nov 14, 2012 9:14 pm

Thanks Guys,
The new roof light looks like the way to go, is it a straight forward replacement and is it fairly easy to get a good seal to the roof.

At least I know what cushions I am missing now, I will give AS a call to see if they are still available and how much of my hard earned they want to relieve me of.

My heater is a Carver and the drain is on the outside but not behind a cover, just in one corner. I did try and lift the panel on the setee but the seat frame and cushion don't seem to pull out far enough to lift it, it's hard up against the single seat.

Obviously got a few jobs to do when I get home.
kenste94
kenste94

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:21 pm

Ken
I will send you a PM on the instructions for changing the rooflight. Standby
John
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Topaz Empty Topaz

Post by kenste94 Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:15 pm

Thanks John, for the info on the roof light, It looks far better than the old item. I have seen them advertised but there are two depths, I'll speak to the sellers but suppose the Topaz will need the thinner one. I'll have a look at it, if it ever stops raining.
kenste94
kenste94

Male

Back to top Go down