The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Trident bike rack

2 posters

Go down

Trident bike rack Empty Trident bike rack

Post by Redzedzed Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:14 pm

Hi All

I am in need of serious bike rack help and am a newby to this!

I see from a previous post that there are issues with fitting a Fiamma bike rack to the early Tridents as the tail gate would not open. AS seemed to correct this quite quickly. We are looking to purchase a 2005 Trident which is pre the AS correction and am wondering what our options are. We need to carry four bikes and don't want to lose complete use of the tail gate although accept that we may have to take the bikes off to do so. Are the tilting tow bar bike racks any good? Has anyone used or know more about the adaptors from AS that apparantly let you use a Fiamma bike rack a previous post mentioned they work for the Topaz.

We are on the cusp of buying this van and this could be a dealswingeing for us (although budget won't stretch to a newer van so have to find a good solution) so any knowledge or experience would be greatfully received.

Cheers

Zoe
Redzedzed
Redzedzed

Female

Member Age : 51
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident

Back to top Go down

Trident bike rack Empty Whoops

Post by Redzedzed Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:23 pm

Think I've made my first newbie error. I didn't realise that by posting on a previous thread that thread would move to the top. I created a new thread to make sure people woul see this as I thought the other one would be buried. Sorry blushes
Redzedzed
Redzedzed

Female

Back to top Go down

Trident bike rack Empty Re: Trident bike rack

Post by Guest Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:06 pm

Zoe

I have a 2007 trident which does have the cut outs in the roof to allow the tailgate to open with the fiamma bike rack. However, with four bikes on the rack you need to consider the weight more than anything else.

Usually the only thing I want access to the rear is to turn on the gas when on route. This can be done by opening the tailgate about a third of the way which is possible with bikes on, and I don't believe the rack goes into the recesses in the roof at that point.

So don't rule out the fiamma rack.......especially if you have to fit a tow bar.

Maybe others can help with their experiences.

Btw.....the trident is a great camper van.....good luck up!

Silver
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Redzedzed Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:21 pm

Thanks Silver will keep all that in mind.

As an aside I am concerned that with very light cupboard fronts and two very messy boys that they may become marked easily. What is your experience of this? I know it's a real girlie question but.... courtesy
Redzedzed
Redzedzed

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:31 pm

Mmmmm.......I don't have that problem.....firstly my grand kids are in Canada.....secondly I have a trident city which has dark furniture....see my trident for sale ad......

I suspect the furniture in the van you are looking at is washable so shouldn't be an issue....AS interiors are very durable in my opinion.....

Silver

Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Redzedzed Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:44 pm

Aaaaahhh..... I've seen your advert, lovely van. Shame it's two berth and you're a very very long way away. hope you sell her soon she looks fab. The interior looks far more appropriate for two boisterous and grubby boys. content
Redzedzed
Redzedzed

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:47 pm

smile!
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:45 am

Zoe
I've had vw based campers fitted with fixed tailgate bike racks and towball mounted racks. Carrying 4 bikes is a bit of challenge, but we've manged it with both set ups. IMO I wouldn't try and lift the tailgate with bikes on a rack and the tilting towbar racks don't give you enought access to lift the tailgate. So either option really requires the bikes to be removed. In more recent years I've favoured the towbar racks as its easier to lift the bikes onto at a lower level and the rack can be removed when not needed. Another big advantage is that you can get a storage box to fit onto the rack (having removed the cycle bars) like this:- [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

We used to take our three girls camping and I found this box was a good size for all their makeup !!hugegrins

In terms of the units you have in your van, they may be light coloured but you will find them quite durable and easy to clean compared to a number of the 'wood style' fronts.

John
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Yorkypair Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:33 pm

We have a Trident which had a tow bar fitted prior to our purchase, I invested in a tow bar rack & have been more than happy with it, easier to load up, simple to fit/ remove. Had a Fiamma rack on a previous van which was ok but fiddly to attach/ remove & quite large to store in garage. Between the two I would recommend the tow bar version, bit cheaper too, though mine was on offer.
Yorkypair
Yorkypair

Male

Member Age : 70

Back to top Go down