The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Peugeot Boxer Bodywork

+4
boxerman
andygump
-mojo-
duetto1462
8 posters

Go down

Peugeot Boxer Bodywork Empty Peugeot Boxer Bodywork

Post by duetto1462 Sat Oct 20, 2012 11:37 am

Thinking of swapping my 94 Duetto for 95 symphony 2.5d was wondering if there are many rust issues like the Transit? Doh Have searched forum now know what to look for
duetto1462
duetto1462

Male

Member Age : 56
Auto-Sleeper Model : duetto

Back to top Go down

Peugeot Boxer Bodywork Empty Re: Peugeot Boxer Bodywork

Post by -mojo- Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:34 pm

As a generalisation, they do seem to be a bit less prone to wing rust than Transits, but so much depends on the conditions they have been used in.

For example long periods of use on the coast and where roads are salted a lot tend to be a problem, irrespective of make, and failure to clean accumulated road silt from the wheel arches also does a lot to promote rust.

I'd recommend that for a 17 year old vehicle you inspect very carefully (or have it inspected) for uneven paint match, bodywork ripples and any other signs that it's had a bodge-over.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by andygump Sat Oct 20, 2012 3:30 pm

Hi

I have a1995 Executive on the Boxer,and there is very little rust on it, but I believe the cross member needs to be watched.
The Mk 5 transits are by far the most prone to rust, of all the vans. As you will have already discovered with the Duetto.

Andy

andygump

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

Post by duetto1462 Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:41 pm

Thanks,
I've had the transit for five years,3 as only vehicle,had welding (£500) last mot, pondering either to get rid or spend money on 18 year old van which has done 70k miles,mech sound and interior is mint on the Duetto. I know from my type 2 VW and Romahome that it is always 10 times worse than you think! Also the stuff you need to remove on a camper to weld it costs as much as the work you need to do winks
duetto1462
duetto1462

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by boxerman Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:40 pm

Mine's a '95 Symphony, I can't compare with the Transit 'cos I've never had a Transit.
Welding wise: So far I've had to have two jacking points and the off-side rear sill (in front of the rear wheel) repaired. I also had some repair work done to the rear outriggers last year and I'll need to get the front nearside sill (the short bit under the passenger door) replaced soon.

The front crossmember is a bolt on job and I was advised a few MOTs ago to take it off, wire brush, paint & waxoyl it which I did and has been OK since.

With regard to the sills. I discovered a while ago that the Carver water heater had been weeping water into the chassis for God knows how long, so this could have some bearing on the rear one going. The front one has perforated and occasionally drips water but I've no idea where it's coming from.

The Symphony is a bit wider than the Duetto and also has more standing headroom in the living quarters.

Frank
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:27 pm

duetto1462 wrote:Thanks,
I've had the transit for five years,3 as only vehicle,had welding (£500) last mot, pondering either to get rid or spend money on 18 year old van which has done 70k miles,mech sound and interior is mint on the Duetto.

The thing is that at only 70k miles it should go on mechanically for many years yet - particularly if a diesel.

As has already been said, the thing you can't beat about Transits is the cost and availability of pattern parts, which make them extremely economical to maintain.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:37 pm

[quote="-mojo-"]
duetto1462 wrote:

As has already been said, the thing you can't beat about Transits is the cost and availability of pattern parts, which make them extremely economical to maintain.

Unless you want front inner wings!!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Sun Oct 21, 2012 12:18 am

Duetto1462 didn't write that!

But I guess if you were to do a direct comparison, maybe you should compare that with the availability of cheap Pug Boxer inner wings?

I've tried to figure out why the Transit inner wings should remain uncopied by the pattern part makers, and I ~think~ it's because they are very deep pressings (where the suspension turrets are built in) and they don't have the quality of equipment to do that properly. But I'm just guessing there...
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:47 am

Sorry mojo / dutto, not sure why that happened!

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Sun Oct 21, 2012 3:04 pm

[quote="-mojo-"]Duetto1462 didn't write that!

But I guess if you were to do a direct comparison, maybe you should compare that with the availability of cheap Pug Boxer inner wings?

I've tried to figure out why the Transit inner wings should remain uncopied by the pattern part makers, and I ~think~ it's because they are very deep pressings (where the suspension turrets are built in) and they don't have the quality of equipment to do that properly. But I'm just guessing there...[/quote

I think you have hit on the answer. Deep pressings for my triumph motorcycle are as rare as hens teeth.
They sell for more than the whole bike cost new!!
mike
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony

Back to top Go down

Post by duetto1462 Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:41 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] do almost everything transit wise!
Many thanks for reply everyone,just what forums are for. Decision time over the winter months , pros and cons of both vehicles and money of course come into play Boxer IMO more refined to drive but I know everything about my van.
duetto1462
duetto1462

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by birder999 Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:27 pm

hi there
i have just bought a 1997 peugeot boxer symphony 2.5 diesel..and am very pleased with it...i looked for the 'right' vehicle for months and looked at a few...there are no rust issues on the base vehicle unlike ford and surprisingly VW(i looked at a few rusting tridents/topaz). the only rust issue is related to the conversion on high tops...where the front of top meets above front screen..i have seen a few vehicles with rust problems here
birder999
birder999

Male

Member Age : 71
Auto-Sleeper Model : symphony

Back to top Go down

Post by fluffles Sun Oct 21, 2012 11:28 pm

Another poor area on VW t4 is the panel which runs below/ supports the front windscreen.

I have seen quite a few like this, & on the t4 forum people have had to have the windscreen out to effect a good repair. I try to polish/wax this area frequently on mine to try and keep it at bay.

It is a shame that the earlier Transits referred to do tend to be rust prone comparred to other base vehicles. How ever, there longevity appears to be well known given good servicing etc.

If you are still fond of your 'van and had no intention of replacing it the cheapest way out is to repair and keep using it. If you are thinking of changing sometime in the future any way, now may be a good time to start looking, and include in your budget some £ for effect rust proofing.

fluffles

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Peugeot executive

Back to top Go down