The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sparks under bonnet... now engine not turning

+3
whisky
Woodburner
troikafloyd
7 posters

Go down

Sparks under bonnet... now engine not turning Empty Sparks under bonnet... now engine not turning

Post by troikafloyd Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:00 pm

Hi,
Have just got back from a 20 mile trip in the rain and parked up...engine off, all ok. I then decided to move the van forward a bit and stuck the key in, turned it and sparks flew down from under the bonnet. I tried it again and now the engine won't turn, just a clicking noise. Has anybody got any ideas what could have happened or caused this?
Peugeot Boxer 2.0 Diesel Autosleeper Symbol 2004, 23,000 miles.

HELP PLEASE!
troikafloyd

Male

Member Age : 66
Auto-Sleeper Model : SYMBOL

Back to top Go down

Sparks under bonnet... now engine not turning Empty sparks

Post by Woodburner Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:07 pm

check battery connections, might be loose.
Woodburner
Woodburner

Male

Member Age : 90
Auto-Sleeper Model : Montana

Back to top Go down

Sparks under bonnet... now engine not turning Empty Re: Sparks under bonnet... now engine not turning

Post by whisky Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:46 pm

Hi. On the Boxer cab the rainwater that runs down the windscreen goes into a plastic channel at the back edge of the bonnet. It is then supposed to run out of the grilled area on the right hand side of this channel where a pipe takes it down the side of the engine to discharge onto the floor. However quite an amount of this water runs over the channel lip on the left hand side of the channel straight onto the vehicle battery which can then result in a short. If you search the forum you will find a number of posts of how to prevent this happening.

Good Luck. Whisky. champagne

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive

Back to top Go down

Sparks under bonnet... now engine not turning Empty Re: Sparks under bonnet... now engine not turning

Post by -mojo- Fri Oct 19, 2012 5:05 pm

Agreed that rainwater and electrics are never a good mix, but water should not under normal circumstances be conductive enough to cause sparks to fly!

As Woodburner says, check battery connections, and also check the earth straps from battery to chassis and chassis to engine. The latter can fray away due to engine movement and, if that happens, eventually it won't pass enough current to turn the starter motor.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisvesey Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:48 pm

Hi,
Also check the thick cable connection to the starter motor,
Chris
chrisvesey
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : sold it
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Sparks under bonnet... now engine not turning Empty Earth Strap?

Post by troikafloyd Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:10 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies, I managed to start engine only after 'rocking' the van in first gear and spraying the earth strap connections with wd40. I again then tried to start it but again sparks and 'nothing'. Do I presume it's the strap? shrugg
troikafloyd

Male

Back to top Go down

Sparks under bonnet... now engine not turning Empty Spares

Post by troikafloyd Fri Oct 19, 2012 10:12 pm

whoop's...forgot to ask where best to get spares for the boxer?
troikafloyd

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:02 am

Hi there,

A "sticky" starter motor is usually just a simple "wear and tear" thing - but the sparks make it more likely to be a very poor (like really, really poor) electrical connection!

If there isn't enough Amps arriving at the starter it will only give a half-hearted attempt at turning the engine and will therefore "stick and click".

I strongly suggest that you have another close look at all of the connections under the bonnet. (I once found a battery with the terminal totally loose and flopping around due to the casing being cracked!)

Obviously, if the sparks are emanating from the starter then ............... £££££'s I'm afraid for a new one.

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by peugeotboxer Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:43 pm

troikafloyd wrote:whoop's...forgot to ask where best to get spares for the boxer?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Ebay??

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down