The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1998 (built) Harmony Mega Service and MOT

3 posters

Go down

1998 (built) Harmony Mega Service and MOT Empty 1998 (built) Harmony Mega Service and MOT

Post by newterry Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:17 pm

Many of you already know we re-acquired our original Harmony this time last year so I won't bore you with the detailed background.
Although it/she was 'serviced' by the dealer (inc. new cambelt) it was done after the MOT so probably got a lick and a promise, so I decided that it/she would get a good seeing to prior to renewing the MOT.
I have got most of the service history but at least I know what's what from here on.

Those of you more able than me should look away now cos I know you could have done a lot this work yourselves and saved a packet, but I don't have the expertise, time or facilities and some of you are aware of my domestic situation (full time carer to Mrs H).

So, the nitty gritty was this-
1. Major nut and bolt service £210
2. Wheel bearings tightened and re-greased FOC (may need replacing next year)
3. Replace 1 faulty glow plug with new set, parts £67
4. Labour for above £66 (@£66 ph)
5. New lower cross member, part £112
6. Labour for above, £85
7. Antifreeze change £45
8. Class 4 MOT £40 (apparently will need a new exhaust back box before long)
9. Bodyshop buff-up for bonnet wings & rear doors £50 (special deal)
(VAT element inc. in costs above £98 !)

Why ? 'Because she's worth it !!' content

Never walk past open doors of opportunity as you'll never know what treasures lie beyond.
newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony 1.9TD
Vehicle Year : 1999 reg

Back to top Go down

1998 (built) Harmony Mega Service and MOT Empty Re: 1998 (built) Harmony Mega Service and MOT

Post by CC Wed Oct 17, 2012 5:44 pm

Hi Terry

Well worth the outlay and peace of mind knowing it's been maintained and serviced properly and not skimped on.... I'm a firm believer in frequent and detailed servicing and don't understand those who are too mean to maintain and cherish their vehicles.

Talking of MOT's... our Nuevo passed with flying colours last week and was done at our local ATS branch for just £40 up!

CC

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

1998 (built) Harmony Mega Service and MOT Empty 1998 (BUILT) HARMONY MEGA SERVICE AND MOT

Post by newterry Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:00 pm

Thanks for the support CC, it's been an expensive year, £400 on 4 new tyres and tracking, £500 on Air-rides and £475 on Cruise Control not to mention the new clutch assembly mostly paid for by the dealer under a 1 year warranty. Mostly one off costs- well the kids would only 'fritter' the money away getting on the housing ladder, keeping their cars on the road and food in the fridge !! Whistle1
At least the Harmony will probably out last us now !

Never walk past open doors of opportunity as you'll never know what treasures lie beyond.
newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

1998 (built) Harmony Mega Service and MOT Empty Re: 1998 (built) Harmony Mega Service and MOT

Post by peugeotboxer Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:17 pm

The 'mega service' costs seem pretty reasonable to me.
It's all about maintaining the 'investment'

BTW did you have the brake fluid replaced?
I know the manufacturers recommend 2 years, which I think is a little overkill, but then when you gotta stop you NEED it to stop!

PB
peugeotboxer
peugeotboxer
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Harmony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

1998 (built) Harmony Mega Service and MOT Empty 1998 (BUILT) HARMONY MEGA SERVICE AND MOT

Post by newterry Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:45 pm

Good point, no, not this time, didn't think of it. Apparently the nsf inner brake disc is pitted so perhaps I'll get a specific brake service done in the New Year, replacing fluid and hoses all round plus discs and pads where necessary.
I have had a gearbox oil flush and change earlier in the year, but didn't think about a specific brake fluid change.
I was more concerned with making sure the headlamp levellers were working for the MOT and seeing if I could get the windscreen washer back on the stalk as opposed to the current dashboard switch installed by a previous owner. I would need a new stalk assembly at £139 for the part plus labour. It would also need to be cut about to accomodate the CC stalk recently added.
They did change the oil, air and fuel filters as you would expect, and I've been charged for brake cleaner and 'anti-seize' sachets, screenwash and 'service lubricant' (I specifically asked for Molykote on all gear linkages).

(ps I put 1998 (built) in the title because we didn't get our hands on it the first time round as new until April 1999,!)

newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:57 pm

Terry
Sounds like you have a very full life, so it's important you also have some plessure.... so enjoy your van up! . Vehicles take a fair bit to maintain and regular servicing is important.

John
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by newterry Wed Oct 17, 2012 7:40 pm

We have a full life at present seeing a bit too much of QA outpatients so parking up at Stokes Bay or Lee on the Solent overlooking the Isle of Wight with a cup of tea (and on board loo) is a welcome break (no pun intended). When we're not doing either of those things we're ferrying small furry animals for my daughters rescue charity to various re-homing handover points.

On another note, I did make contact with a mobile fridge engineer as I don't think the fridge has been serviced since 2002 (when we traded her in for an Executive). Unfortunately he's dropped off the radar despite promises of coming over to my home (£60 incidentally), so, if anyone knows a mobile Dometic service agent in the Southampton/Portsmouth/South Hampshire area please let me know, t'internet hasn't been very helpful.
I need to get stuff done at home as much as possible as I'm unable to drive to service points and hang about given Mrs H's situation. My garage picks up and delivers the van and most of the added bits listed previously listed have been done here.

newterry
newterry
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down