The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fold-down worktop

+8
Colmog
Admin
badger
roli
chrisvesey
squip
VRH
Paulmold
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Fold-down worktop Empty Fold-down worktop

Post by Paulmold Mon May 09, 2011 8:14 pm

I'd like to fit a fold-down worktop as fitted to (some or is it all) Duettos, in our Symphony. Can someone with a Duetto give me the measurements so I'll know if it will fit if I can get one, and how is it fastened to the outside of the washroom wall?
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Fold-down worktop Empty Worktop

Post by VRH Mon May 09, 2011 9:36 pm

Our "1999" duetto has a fold down worktop on the sink and the cooker. If you would like the measurement for this worktop, I will send it to you on Wednesday. There isn't any fold down worktop outside the washroom in our duetto.
VRH
VRH

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Fold-down worktop Empty Re: Fold-down worktop

Post by Paulmold Mon May 09, 2011 9:44 pm

VRH wrote:Our "1999" duetto has a fold down worktop on the sink and the cooker. If you would like the measurement for this worktop, I will send it to you on Wednesday. There isn't any fold down worktop outside the washroom in our duetto.

No it's not that one, I've got that but I've heard that some have an extra worktop that folds from the washroom wall and sits on the edge of the drainer making in effect an 'L' shaped kitchen worktop.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by squip Mon May 09, 2011 9:57 pm

Paulmold,
I have heard of Symphony & Symbol owners who have made a worktop just as you describe. The difficulty, as I see it, is how to fix to the side wall of the bathroom as this is only made of ¼"ply. I would expect that some sort of batten would be needed on the other side of the plywood to sink the fixing screws into. And anyway long screws would come through into the bathroom. Unless something like "no-nails" is used but I'm not sure if this could be trusted to support a shelf with maybe a full saucepan or similar on it. About 2005 -2006 Symbols were fitted with an additional pull out shelf which came out from under the draining board area but unfortunately my van is 2004 so doen not have this.

squip
squip
squip
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon May 09, 2011 10:03 pm

squip wrote:Paulmold,
I have heard of Symphony & Symbol owners who have made a worktop just as you describe. The difficulty, as I see it, is how to fix to the side wall of the bathroom as this is only made of ¼"ply. I would expect that some sort of batten would be needed on the other side of the plywood to sink the fixing screws into. And anyway long screws would come through into the bathroom. Unless something like "no-nails" is used but I'm not sure if this could be trusted to support a shelf with maybe a full saucepan or similar on it. About 2005 -2006 Symbols were fitted with an additional pull out shelf which came out from under the draining board area but unfortunately my van is 2004 so doen not have this.

squip

Thats exactly my problem, how is it fixed? I presume as you say some form of batten is needed. I wondered if the walls of the washroom are sort of sandwich with a gap between where you could put a batten. I believe the back wall can be removed to get at the plumbing so perhaps thats a way to get a batten in place unless there is already a strengthener in there as we have a grab handle fixed in that area. I shall probably end up giving Autosleepers a ring and speaking to them about it.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by squip Tue May 10, 2011 9:08 pm

Paul,
Yes the back wall can easily be removed but I don't remember being able to see between the two boards that make up the inner and outer of the bathroom wall so as to be able to insert a batten as you suggest.

Incidentally I have had the back wall off several times but whilst it was off I zip tied the water pipes going to the taps to stop them banging on the backboard when they vibrate if the tap is only slightly opened. Also I filled the area behind the backboard with insulation. I may not do much good but every little helps.

I would be interested to know what A/S say if you do speak to them on this matter.

squip
squip
squip
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisvesey Mon May 16, 2011 7:29 pm

Hi,
We had Autosleeper fit one of the tables that lift up and lock in place. The spring lock brackets are fitted directly onto the washroom wall without battens etc. Previous owners had utilised the small table resting on plastic blocks screwed through the toilet wall and more blocks screwed to the bottom of the table to stop it sliding off, the other end rests on the worktop, simples. Be aware that when the bed is made up the table must be taken down if you want to get to the loo.....bitter experience rolleyes ,
regards,
Chris
chrisvesey
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : sold it
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon May 16, 2011 8:02 pm

Thanks for that, it's really useful. Would you mind telling me what Autosleepers charged for putting it in?
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by squip Mon May 16, 2011 8:59 pm

Chris,
How about posting a pic or two of the worktop and its fittings. That would give us an idea how it is done. Whatever fits your Duetto would be ok in principle for similar vans such as Symphonys and Symbols.
thanks

squip
squip
squip
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisvesey Tue May 17, 2011 6:03 pm

Hi,
We had it fitted about 5 years ago during a service and paid about £90 plus vat, probably more now, will try and post piccies when I find camera, hopefully this weekend (and work out how to post them rolleyes )
regards,
Chris V
chrisvesey
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue May 17, 2011 6:31 pm

A bit pricey that for what it is but I'd still consider it if it's fitted safely so would be great if you could put some pictures on for us to see.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Tue May 17, 2011 11:30 pm

Hey come on badger !! you may be able help out here being a Duetto owner if you have one fitted in your van
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Fold-down worktop Empty folding shelf

Post by badger Wed May 18, 2011 4:27 pm

Hi
Just thought I would try posting a reply ref the shelf.

I bought a melamine shelf from focus- cut a little corner out so that it fits snug at the "draining" board end and put a piece of 2x1 (same width as the shelf) and fixed it with "no more nails" on the toilet door.
Hey presto a removable shelf and very handy- but for ease of access to the toilet take it down at night time.

Keep the tips coming -love em!

Badger
badger
badger

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Wed May 18, 2011 6:24 pm

I've never tried products such as 'no more nails' don't know if I trust them. I'm worried that Carol might put a pan of boiling water on the shelf and it not take the weight. Otherwise I'd happily make my own shelf.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by roli Wed May 18, 2011 10:12 pm

Tell you what Paul, I was amazed at NoNails, in between trips we are having some building work done and we asked the bricky if he would sort some loose coping stones on a low garden wall. He said the location of the coping was not good for morter and he would use no nails on the existing broken joint (morter) - we did and its stuck, couldnt believe it !!

I have since tried it on plastic and wood - great results, previous to this I wouldnt have trusted it.

Badger - thanks for your tip on the shelf
roli
roli

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisvesey Mon May 23, 2011 12:33 pm

squip wrote:Chris,
How about posting a pic or two of the worktop and its fittings. That would give us an idea how it is done. Whatever fits your Duetto would be ok in principle for similar vans such as Symphonys and Symbols.
thanks

squip
Hi,
I've taken a few photo's of the table which are at present in a file on my PC, it appears that I am not able to post these directly shrugg so unless somebody can explain how to do this is plain speak (BBCode????????) I may have to publish them on "facts" for you to see,
Regards,
Chris V

Edit: As requested by Chris here are the images

Fold-down worktop 2011_0523vanshelf0004
Fold-down worktop 2011_0523vanshelf0002
Fold-down worktop 2011_0520vanshelf0006
Fold-down worktop 2011_0520vanshelf0005
Fold-down worktop 2011_0520vanshelf0004
Fold-down worktop 2011_0520vanshelf0001
Fold-down worktop 2011_0523vanshelf0006

Last edited by Admin on Mon May 23, 2011 9:05 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Edited by admin - Reason: Photos added as requested)
chrisvesey
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon May 23, 2011 1:38 pm

If you use the 'search' for 'post photos' you will find a tutorial by Admin on how to post your photos. Believe me , if I can do it (and now I can ) then anyone can. Go on , give it a try, I want to see these photos of your worktop.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Admin Mon May 23, 2011 2:14 pm

Hi Chris

The tutorial that Paul is referring to can be found here: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

If you still have difficulties let me know & I can post them to the forum on your behalf, you can email them to us at: [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Regards

Admin.

Site Admin
Site Admin

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisvesey Tue May 24, 2011 10:11 am

Hi,
Thanks for posting photos for me, we prefer not to have to many "accounts" with our details on which is why we didn't want to open a photobucket account.
The plastic covers on the inside of the toilet wall are just to cover holes from the previous fittings. Note that I do not think the shelf is particularly strong and we only keep the tea things on it and would certainly not put a heavy saucepan on it.
We also had the later type tap fitted which looks better and more importantly doesn't drip.
Regards,
Chris V
chrisvesey
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by squip Tue May 24, 2011 10:50 am

Chris,
Thanks for those pictures. thanks That looks a really neat job. Mrs squip would really appreciate extra workspace.
It looks as though A/S managed to get some sort of batten between the inner and outer walls of the washroom to fix the screws holding the brackets.
I must look at the van and investigate and look in B&Q for brackets and the shelf.

squip
squip
squip
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Tue May 24, 2011 3:17 pm

squip wrote:Chris,
Thanks for those pictures. thanks That looks a really neat job. Mrs squip would really appreciate extra workspace.
It looks as though A/S managed to get some sort of batten between the inner and outer walls of the washroom to fix the screws holding the brackets.
I must look at the van and investigate and look in B&Q for brackets and the shelf.

squip

I echo everything Squip says, further investigation required. Just shown pictures to Carol, she thinks it looks great and just what she wants.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Fold-down worktop Empty folding worktop

Post by Colmog Fri May 27, 2011 1:11 pm

our Duetto has the dropdown worktop in it. The worktop is 21 x 13 3/8 x 1/22 thick, it is hinged onto the washroom wall by a thin paino hinge the screws going through the wall into a batton fastened on the inside wall, it is 13 1/4x 1 1/4 x 1/2" in size. When down the worktop rests on another baton 11 1/4 x 1 1/2 x 7/8" deep which is fixed under the sink worktop immediately above the fridge. Hope this is of use

Colmog
Colmog

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri May 27, 2011 2:01 pm

Colmog wrote:our Duetto has the dropdown worktop in it. The worktop is 21 x 13 3/8 x 1/22 thick, it is hinged onto the washroom wall by a thin paino hinge the screws going through the wall into a batton fastened on the inside wall, it is 13 1/4x 1 1/4 x 1/2" in size. When down the worktop rests on another baton 11 1/4 x 1 1/2 x 7/8" deep which is fixed under the sink worktop immediately above the fridge. Hope this is of use

Colmog

Was this your own doing or is this an original AS fitment? If an original fitment it is strange how a batten inside the washroom has been used as opposed to Chris's version.
Paulmold
Paulmold
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by squip Fri May 27, 2011 2:22 pm

Colmog,
Thanks for that.
Do I understand that the worktop stores against the bathroom wall in the up position rather than hanging down? You said "when down" rather than "when up"
How about a pic of the installation please?

squip
squip
squip
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by chrisvesey Sat May 28, 2011 7:45 pm

Hi,
Pleeze hugegrins chaps,
My van is a Symbol, 2001 pre facelift, the toilet wall is single skin approx 1/4" thick. The brackets are screwed directly to the wall as shown and there is no batten. I would not consider it suitable for anything heavy but we keep the tea making things on it and it is handy. Originally somebody had used the small table with plastic blocks bolted onto the toilet wall (holes now covered by plastic "things" as shown in photo) the table rested on these blocks and the other end rested on the worktop, extra blocks were screwed under the table to stop it sliding off. You could still use the table in the normal manner if required. Please note that this is NOT strong enough for heavy items,
Regards,
Chris V
chrisvesey
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next