The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

autosleeper duetto 1995

+4
andygump
plummerbe
-mojo-
magnificent
8 posters

Go down

autosleeper duetto 1995 Empty autosleeper duetto 1995

Post by magnificent Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:05 pm

hello, Richard here i have the chance of buying a automatic, diesel 1995 2.5. auto sleeper duetto for £4,500...any comments please. what should i be looking for.?. ...i would like to know what mileage i am going to get on town driving , and motorway driving ..before i go any further......any comments please , much appreciated ..Thanks ..Richard
magnificent
magnificent

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : 1995 duetto

Back to top Go down

autosleeper duetto 1995 Empty Re: autosleeper duetto 1995

Post by -mojo- Sun Sep 23, 2012 6:34 pm

magnificent wrote: what should i be looking for.?

Rust! And bodged repairs to rust. Check the inner wheel arches at the front - I looked at soemone elses similar aged Duetto a few weeks back and both were so bad they could barely hold the two battery trays up!
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by plummerbe Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:04 pm

Corrosion is biggest problem. My 1994 Duetto failed its MOT this year because a large hole appeared on the front NS under the leisure battery, and also the rear OS under the kitchen unit. It cost me £390 for the welding. I had to cut out a section of the chipboard floor under the kitchen unit, and and disconnect all the gas pipes, before the welding could be done. Since then I have spent several weeks under the van patching other holes I have found with glass fibre resin, and applying underseal. There were large areas where the original underseal appeared to have failed. It looked sound but the underseal was not attached to the metal and I could peal it away exposing rusting metal underneath. It was a horrible messy job but I feel confident now that I have slowed down the corrosion process.
plummerbe
plummerbe

Male

Member Age : 70
Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by andygump Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:46 pm

Hi

As an Ex Duetto owner avoid it like the plague. You will be in a constant battle to fend off the dreaded rust beetle. I used to play a game, called spot the Transit Pre 2002 with no rust. Never did see one smile!

Andy up!
andygump

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz
Vehicle Year : 1996

Back to top Go down

autosleeper duetto 1995 Empty Information

Post by magnificent Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:30 pm

Thanks for your time.....cheers.. R
magnificent
magnificent

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : 1995 duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:04 pm

andygump wrote:Hi

As an Ex Duetto owner avoid it like the plague. You will be in a constant battle to fend off the dreaded rust beetle. I used to play a game, called spot the Transit Pre 2002 with no rust. Never did see one smile!

Andy up!

Then you missed mine!!! hugegrins

Registered May 2000 even the MOT tester commented he'd not seen a Transit of that year in such good condition, due mainly (in his opinion) to excellent undersealing which appears to be non-standard.

But in reply to the OP.....yes rust is a known Transit problem, but nothing that cannot be overcome. £4.5k is very cheap so even if you need to spend a couple of grand 'sorting it', you have still got yourself a very cheap Duetto.

Looking at the situation in a more positive view, Ford parts are easily sourced from anywhere and cheap. Wheel arches which are the usual rust areas cost as little as £25 per arch panel. The bottom edge of the rear doors are also prone to rust but if beyond repair, a pair of used doors can easily be found through breakers yards or searching the Transit Owners forum. As an example, i replaced the passenger door on an old 93 Transit i used to own. Cost me just a fiver and took minutes to remove the old door and replace.

As for economy. My Duetto is a manual with 2.5Tdi engine and returns around 30mpg so an automatic would be slightly less.

Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Post by mikethebike Fri Oct 05, 2012 1:07 pm

For what its worth When i was looking last year all fords pre 1999 were rusty ,in many places a MOT inspector would not look. A mail dealer in the midlands said and i quote" Any ford without rust is in a museum" alittlesecret .
Mike
mikethebike
mikethebike

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symphony
Vehicle Year : 2000

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Fri Oct 05, 2012 3:01 pm

Bulletguy wrote:
As for economy. My Duetto is a manual with 2.5Tdi engine and returns around 30mpg so an automatic would be slightly less.

Agreed - around town with my auto and the same engine I expect to get around 28mpg. However, on motorway runs they are about the same, as it has a lockup fourth, so once in top gear the torque converter losses go away. I exceeded 34mpg for the first time this year, but that's because most of my driving was either motorway or fast A road. With a mix of more winding and hilly roads it does around the 31-32mpg mark.

Mine (based on a 1999 SWB Transit) is also still in good nick underneath, as I sprayed the whole underside + sills & doors with Waxoyl when I got it.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by dawsden Sun May 22, 2016 4:50 pm

I have a 1995 duetto and apart from a bit of rust appeari g at bottom of back doors and a slight bit under the toilet cassette door, its immaculate. Agree with previoys reply, look after them well, underseal and they will go on and on. I have not come across any up to date campers that have to offer what the duetto does. If you can get one for that money, grab it with both hands!
dawsden

Female

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ek
Vehicle Year : 2004

Back to top Go down

Post by Duetto 1999 Sun May 22, 2016 5:09 pm

I am a new Duetto 2.5 auto Transit based owner too (1999).
Rust is a problem - not on mine I am glad to say although one must be aware of the rust hotspots - lots of info elsewhere on this forum.
The single thing that annoys me most when driving is that it lacks guts - OK on the flat but show it a hill and it struggles. And yes, I have had my trusted own garage people look at it - there is no fault to be found in the motor - In fact they said it is good for 300,000 miles - so 256,000 to go!
Second (much smaller) niggle.
The auto is plated to tow the vast weight in total of 200Kg! - Don't bother.

All that having been said, the build quality of the interior is impressive and, like the mechanics, bomb proof.
At £4500 or thereabouts you are looking at a bargain provided that you don't have to spend more that say around two or three thousand on getting it in good shape.
Good luck

Male

Member Age : 68
Vehicle Year : 1999

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Sun May 22, 2016 6:17 pm

Duetto 1999 wrote:I am a new Duetto 2.5 auto Transit based owner too (1999).

The single thing that annoys me most when driving is that it lacks guts - OK on the flat but show it a hill and it struggles. And yes, I have had my trusted own garage people look at it - there is no fault to be found in the motor - In fact they said it is good for 300,000 miles - so 256,000 to go!

I agree with you on this. Much of it is due to the weight and fully laden with full fuel and water tanks, it's pulling a fair amount. However last year my fuel pump developed a fault in the electronics putting the engine into limp mode. That the fault was erratic and unpredictable plus occurring at the start of a trip (i was in Belgium at the time), meant the only answer was to return back home to get it sorted as the Lucas Epic pump is no longer available.

I knew that some owners had fitted Bosch mechanical pumps but to work correctly with the Turbo they need modifying and setting up correctly. I found a guy local to me who does this conversion and must admit the Bosch pump is way better than the Lucas. I now have more torque and excellent bottom and top end power. It 'feels' an entirely different engine. Oh, and another plus is because it's a mechanical pump, the stupid electronic throttle pedal is replaced by a cabled throttle.
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Duetto 1999 Sun May 22, 2016 8:20 pm

Bulletguy wrote:

I agree with you on this. Much of it is due to the weight and fully laden with full fuel and water tanks, it's pulling a fair amount. However last year my fuel pump developed a fault in the electronics putting the engine into limp mode. That the fault was erratic and unpredictable plus occurring at the start of a trip (i was in Belgium at the time), meant the only answer was to return back home to get it sorted as the Lucas Epic pump is no longer available.

I knew that some owners had fitted Bosch mechanical pumps but to work correctly with the Turbo they need modifying and setting up correctly. I found a guy local to me who does this conversion and must admit the Bosch pump is way better than the Lucas. I now have more torque and excellent bottom and top end power. It 'feels' an entirely different engine. Oh, and another plus is because it's a mechanical pump, the stupid electronic throttle pedal is replaced by a cabled throttle.
Interesting!
Who, when, how much etc?
If you don't mind me asking  uncertain

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Sun May 22, 2016 11:23 pm

Duetto 1999 wrote:
Bulletguy wrote:

I agree with you on this........

Interesting!
Who, when, how much etc?
If you don't mind me asking  uncertain

In total it came to £630 which included a new cambelt, the modified pump, injectors and replacement throttle. The guy who does the pump 'mod' posts on the Transit Owners forum and lives in Stoke-on-Trent so as the Garage i use is based there also, it worked out well as he used their equipment to get it set up right. 

You can read his thread about how he began modding the pumps here; http://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=158318
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Duetto 1999 Mon May 23, 2016 3:48 am

Thank you Bulletguy. studying thanx

Male