The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

12V Sockets what are these used for? Thanks

+7
Relaxez-Vous
Cymro
The Bargee
IanH
Tinwheeler
PLOUGHLIN
Sushil
11 posters

Go down

12V Sockets what are these used for? Thanks  Empty 12V Sockets what are these used for? Thanks

Post by Sushil Mon Aug 26, 2024 5:32 pm

12V Sockets what are these used for? Thanks  17246812
12V Sockets what are these used for? Thanks  17246813
Sushil
Sushil

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Neuvo
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

12V Sockets what are these used for? Thanks  Empty Re: 12V Sockets what are these used for? Thanks

Post by PLOUGHLIN Mon Aug 26, 2024 5:42 pm

Last edited by PLOUGHLIN on Mon Aug 26, 2024 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

kathnige and Sushil like this post

Back to top Go down

12V Sockets what are these used for? Thanks  Empty Re: 12V Sockets what are these used for? Thanks

Post by Tinwheeler Mon Aug 26, 2024 5:47 pm

For powering any 12v appliances you might have. Some TVs are 12v.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Sushil likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushil Mon Aug 26, 2024 11:11 pm

Thank you Guys for your quick and helpful advice. Will this Clipsal 2 pin plug in 12V socket provide enough power to boil a kettle of water?
Also, Is it a good idea to have an inverter 2000W max 3500W power connected to leisure batteries for off grid camping? Your thoughts and advice welcome. Regards Sushil
Sushil
Sushil

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Tue Aug 27, 2024 7:02 am

Put simply, no.     And no!

Reasons and details later  up!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Cymro, frederic, Bobskate and kathnige like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Tue Aug 27, 2024 9:13 am

12v socket first
Intended, actually totally in my van case as it's co located with the TV COax, for a TV only. May I suggest 2.5A max, clearly, at 12vdc. 
Even my legendary patience couldn't cope with a 30w kettle!

As to the inverter....

Without stating the obvious, 2000w, and that's just the max running output of the inverter you mention, and 25% for start up etc, is 2000/12= 165A. With a full 100Ah leisure battery, and not using more than half of that capacity to prolong it's life, you'd get 20 minutes max from it then need to spend most of the day recharging it.

So, and sorry if ramming things home. If you want HEAT, use gas. If you want cold, use gas, both unless on EHU.

Really if wanting to use your van, as we mostly do, off grid, then solar is a must, loads re that on here.....

Hope this helps... up!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

kathnige, Sushil and Tinwheeler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bargee Tue Aug 27, 2024 11:25 am

12 volt sockets : agree with IanH.

Inverter : Again I agree, to a point. You can enjoy a perfectly happy holiday using 12 volt only, and of course 230v AC when or if on EHU. We used to live full time on 12 volts DC when we lived on a narrow boat, FIFTY YEARS AGO!  We even tediously rewired a string of fairy lights to run on 12 volt! Those were the days?

Nowadays and in the 21st. century almost every narrowboat or larger pleasure boat built has a full mains circuit via an inverter. Washing machines, dishwashers etc. are normal. You can use almost any household mains appliance of your choice from hairdryers upwards, just as at home. The only constraints to doing the same in a van are space and weight capacity for the additional battery(s) needed.

The big but is that you will need to have a greater off-grid charging capacity, by solar and engine alternator, and bigger battery capacity, and all that will require a thorough re-vamp of the van electrics. You will also need a thorough understanding of electrical loads and capacities and you will need to plan loads. Our van has a 2000 watt inverter installation with upgraded batteries, charging and cabling, and 350 watts of solar. We cook 90% electric, we charge the e-bikes etc using standard mains chargers, watch a cheap mains TV from Curries etc. The ultimate destination is a gas free van.

I’ll be honest that I have developed a bit of a thing about gas, having spent half my working life investigating boat fires and explosions, sometimes as the body bag was being loaded into the black van, so I have more of a motive than many for moving away from gas, even though vans are somewhat safer than boats (because you can drill a hole in the floor for a gas drop). I still have a gas fridge and boiler in the van but they will be replaced shortly, and certainly before I have to shell out £1000 for a new gas tank.

The up-front professional cost (if you are not a competent electrician yourself) for a full mains upgrade would be prohibitive short term and certainly not viable in an older van, but there are various other advantages to all-electric apart from safety. Occasional poor gas availability, lack of fumes and lack of condensation to name some. However I would not advocate all-electric in small vans like ours if you want to wild camp and stay in the same place for more than a day or two. You need to have itchy feet like me and keep the van rolling (and charging), especially if there is no sun for the solar.

I would reiterate that it is certainly not as simple as just connecting up an inverter, and if that is all you do then there will be risk of electrical overloads elsewhere in the charging system.

So for many IanH’s answer of “No” would correct, but not in all cases!
The Bargee
The Bargee

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2019

Sushil likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Tue Aug 27, 2024 3:51 pm

An excellent, informative reply, Bargee. Thank you. 

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushil Tue Aug 27, 2024 6:01 pm

Thank you both Ian & Bargee for excellent insight informative advice, I do appreciate this very much. I am new to motor home life style trying to learn how habitation system works, don't know much about it though. I have a 2003 Nuevo 2 berth compact van that has two leisure batteries and a solar panel on the roof top and every thing seems to be linked into a box in the wardrobe. I would like a 700 Watt microwave but there is no room to put on to, there are lots of empty overhead cupboards but its too high. Thanks again Guy with Best Wishes. Sushil
Sushil
Sushil

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Relaxez-Vous Tue Aug 27, 2024 7:22 pm

Say your have not got EHU and you want to power a TV or Laptop this socket could be useful assuming you have the matching plug. I have a 12V adapter for a Laptop and my Avtex TV has a 12V power lead. I previously had a 12V system for my Aldi Sat dish and box. When we had a Sainsburys sourced 12V / mains TV and subsequent set-top digital box these could be powered either by 12v or mains if EHU available. All of these items should not stress the current requirement from this 12V socket.

Put yourself in a mindset where you don't have EHU.
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL
Vehicle Year : 2019

Sushil and IanH like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by MalMonty Tue Aug 27, 2024 7:31 pm

You've pretty much had the answers regards the 12V socket, so I won't add anything. I'd second @IanH recommendations about solar.
If you're off-grid, a reliable set-up will go a long way. Nothing too big, just think about how long your likely to need the power and set yourself accordingly. Personally I'd forget the microwave or even air-fryers etc unless on EHU. They'll just use too much of your available power and you'd not recover it quick enough to be effectively worth your while. You'd be amazed at how quick some old style cooking and water boiling can be when cooking on gas. You're camping and out in the sticks to enjoy being away from home. So, give up some of those "home comforts" and get back to basics. I promise you'll enjoy doing things "old-school" and certainly not have to worry too much about available power sources/options.
MalMonty
MalMonty
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Ravenna
Vehicle Year : 2004

bikeralw, Nue, kathnige, Sushil and IanH like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Tue Aug 27, 2024 7:32 pm

Sushil: I’m pretty sure that I have one of those plugs in my garage. If so, and if you’d like it, I’ll post it to you. 

I’ll need an address to which to post it - but don’t put your address on this public forum,   But send it via a private message (pm) using the Forum’ s facility. 

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Sushil likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Tue Aug 27, 2024 8:13 pm

Bin the microwave, eat out  hugegrins
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Eltel Wed Aug 28, 2024 9:21 am

Cymro wrote:Sushil: I’m pretty sure that I have one of those plugs in my garage. If so, and if you’d like it, I’ll post it to you. 

I’ll need an address to which to post it - but don’t put your address on this public forum,   But send it via a private message (pm) using the Forum’ s facility. 

Cymro
Did you find a plug, as if not I might have one.
Terry
Eltel
Eltel
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Post by Sushil Wed Aug 28, 2024 9:38 am

Thanks every one, you guys do make this forum a great place to be in with wealth of experience shared out. Best Wishes, Sushil allthumbz
Sushil
Sushil

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Wed Aug 28, 2024 10:45 am

Terry: Success! After much rooting I found it, currently wired to crocodile clips so as to power anything which has cigar-lighter plug. 

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Wed Aug 28, 2024 11:48 am

I've got a surplus plug as well if anyone else wants it but going away for six weeks tomorrow.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

kathnige likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by bikeralw Wed Aug 28, 2024 8:35 pm

IanH wrote:Bin the microwave, eat out  hugegrins
A microwave is the second to last addition I'd want in my van. The first is a waste water gauge...
Al.
bikeralw
bikeralw
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2004

IanH likes this post

Back to top Go down