The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warwick Duo 2011 Oil Leak damage. IMPORTANT.

Go down

Warwick Duo 2011 Oil Leak damage. IMPORTANT. Empty Warwick Duo 2011 Oil Leak damage. IMPORTANT.

Post by Wigley Woggled Sat Aug 17, 2024 12:16 pm

Oil sprayed around the belt drives and hose connections. Having cleaned up what I could in an extremely difficult to get at area I suspected an engine oil leak (rather than hydraulic oil fluid).

It turns out a known fault exists (unknown to me) on the Peugeot 2.2 Boxer engine (which could be a Ford engine base).
The crankshaft pulley has a rubber insert to take out the shock of sudden operation. After a few years (5 to 10+) this rubber breaks down so causing the pulley component parts to separate.
On mine the pulley component rubbed against the timing chain case creating a groove and crack from which oil leaked. It may also have damaged the oil seal.
The replacement parts, pulley, timing chain case, oil seal, new belts, new stretch bolts, all cost over £500. With labour it cost £750 for my local mechanic to fix.
My engine has done 35k miles, another I came across had only done 25k and 9 years old whereas mine is older. This suggests that any age over say 5 years should be checked for pulley break up and /or oil leak.
This is rather startling news as one might expect a Peugeot Boxer to at least do 100k without a major and expensive issue.
The problem here though seems to be not one of mileage but of age. Perhaps periods of non use as can happen over winter.

So please get your crankshaft pulley integrity checked perhaps at your next service if over say 5 years old but certainly the nearer to 10 years.
Wigley Woggled
Wigley Woggled

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo

ledzep4, kathnige, Roopert, Boots and Yenco like this post

Back to top Go down