The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Warwick Duo 2011

+2
Paulmold
Wigley Woggled
6 posters

Go down

Warwick Duo 2011 Empty Warwick Duo 2011

Post by Wigley Woggled Wed Sep 01, 2021 2:50 pm

Can I ask if anyone has attempted to replace the original flying saucer antenna with the latest directional one by Vision Plus ?

If so where ? In the overhead locker where the original booster is and where there seems to be limited space or elsewhere, like in the flying wardrobe ?

I've put up with poor reception for years but now its harder to travel abroad there is a pressing need to upgrade so we can watch TV in the British rain, storms and colder evenings!

Did you have the antenna fitted by a professional or attempt it yourself and if so is it something you would recommend by someone reasonably DIY capable ?

I can foresee a potential problem getting a good seal on the crinkly roof !  scratch head
Wigley Woggled
Wigley Woggled

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo

Back to top Go down

Warwick Duo 2011 Empty Re: Warwick Duo 2011

Post by Paulmold Wed Sep 01, 2021 3:03 pm

I have a 2010 Sussex Duo (Marquis version of Warwick) and get brilliant results from my Teleco saucer aerial and Teleco booster . Is your aerial a Vision or a Teleco and what booster you have in the cupboard?

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Wed Sep 01, 2021 4:48 pm

A few prefer an external aerial on a pole (which I also have and works great but I couldn’t be bothered with the faff every time!) and some find the flying saucer works well.
Mine was rubbish and I’ve found the Status 570 brilliant in comparison.

I can go into more detail if you want, perhaps send me a PM.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

IanH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:06 pm

Moonraker, on a pole, own amp, just needs 12v.
Mine on telesopic pole, rubber faced magnets to hold to van.
Best yet imho.
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Wed Sep 01, 2021 5:44 pm

Ours was on a pole which was fixed to the bike rack so minimal adjustment was needed to use it.

Btw, the aerial is now surplus to our requirements…..
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

IanH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Wigley Woggled Thu Sep 02, 2021 2:31 pm

Dbvwt wrote:A few prefer an external aerial on a pole (which I also have and works great but I couldn’t be bothered with the faff every time!) and some find the flying saucer works well.
Mine was rubbish and I’ve found the Status 570 brilliant in comparison.

I can go into more detail if you want, perhaps send me a PM.

Looking at your link mine looks exactly like your old antenna and yes its rubbish as you say.  allthumbz
Wigley Woggled
Wigley Woggled

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Wigley Woggled Thu Sep 02, 2021 4:47 pm

My antenna is exactly as [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]  shows in his link.

Unless I'm in a really good signal area I get either no TV or pixilated and interrupted TV.
Even in my home town just outside the Greater Manchester area driving to a number of different locations I can't get any reception which is really surprising.  shrugg

I've been on sites where I've had no TV and others with the Status 570 (Teleplus-x2) on the same site have been enjoying excellent reception. I've asked them how good is it and all have said they usually get reception unless its remote or very remote.  big thumbs up

I've considered other ideas like an external satellite dish or an external antenna but both are big and cumbersome in such a small van and fixed satellite dishes are an expensive solution for our needs.  so_sad

So I just wondered if anyone has actually had the Status model fitted.
Ideally it would be best in the flying wardrobe but this means finding a cable route to the TV on the other side of the van (roof lining or under floor). Fitting in the cupboard looks tricky though perhaps not impossible.  scratch head There's a 3"flat section available in the cupboard but the internal securing knob is 90mm so would need a 100mm space to clear which would mean cutting into the cupboard curved roof lining.  scratch head

It may well be guys that I try out the Moonraker 1000 when we can't get anything using our existing antenna. It may be just too much hassle trying to use the Status type.
Thanks for your suggestions !  up!

Wigley Woggled
Wigley Woggled

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:02 pm

Good luck Wigley whichever route you go down. 
I was lucky in that my old flying saucer sat directly above the wardrobe where the 12v and TV are located. It was a simple job of putting a long 5mm pilot hole down from the roof to locate the entry point then going in with the 50mm hole saw once I knew the exact entry point into the wardrobe!
I will say (once again:smile!:) that the status 570 has been superb, especially since all the A/S cabling has been bypassed.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by KMRTOPAZ Fri Sep 03, 2021 1:19 am

I changed an Omni direction aerial for a Status directional aerial in a caravan. I was fortunate that the omni was fed into a high level cupboard which could take the new aerial post. So the pilot hole already existed.  I also used a hole saw from above and up from within the cupboard'
The new aerial came with fitting instructions and everything required except hole saw and adhesive.  All went smoothly. 
Given the availability of the necessary tools , I would say this is a DIY job of relatively minor difficulty.  Think it through carefully, like choosing a new aerial with a post short enough to fit within the cupboard, and go for it.  Keith
KMRTOPAZ
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 91
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz T5
Vehicle Year : 2013

Back to top Go down