The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Milenco Wraith Wheel Lock, good or bad?

4 posters

Go down

Milenco Wraith Wheel Lock, good or bad? Empty Milenco Wraith Wheel Lock, good or bad?

Post by natmat Sat Aug 03, 2024 5:57 pm

This is the one: 
Milenco Wrath https://www.milenco.com/products/security/wheelclamps/wraith-wheel-lock

With scum stealing MH I'm wondering about buying one of these. I would not want my MH recovered and returned; it would as others have said feel abused and spoilt by the thieving sh*ts being inside it. 

I think it would be quite difficult for a flat-bed low-loader to reverse up to my MH and pull in onto their rig. 

Therefore, my thought is that they would still try to. Therefore, if they smash driver's windows or force door, put in neutral and release hand brake, at least with a rear wheel Milenco lock in place it would be more hassle to drag it up onto flatbed loader.

Going to check with Milenco on Monday if this will fit a rear wheel. Their photos seem to imply it's a front wheel only fit... but I don't want that.

Has anyone fitted a Wraith to their MH? I am keen to hear about +/- if you have.
natmat
natmat

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Milenco Wraith Wheel Lock, good or bad? Empty Re: Milenco Wraith Wheel Lock, good or bad?

Post by Paulmold Sat Aug 03, 2024 6:11 pm

If it's only for motorhomes why do the fitting instructions only mention 'caravan wheel '. Also can't see anything that says fitting can only be on front wheel.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Milenco Wraith Wheel Lock, good or bad? Empty Re: Milenco Wraith Wheel Lock, good or bad?

Post by Tinwheeler Sat Aug 03, 2024 6:13 pm

There is nothing foolproof and, if they want your van, they’ll have it. The clamp may be a deterrent but won’t be 100% secure.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bargee Sat Aug 03, 2024 7:05 pm

I have a Milenco Wraith, which I bought with mixed feelings since I have not been over impressed with some other Milenco wheel clamps I have had.

Fact is I nearly sent this one back, but they are one of the few “sold secure” clamps that I could get quickly.

The issues for me are:

1. You really need two special wheel studs since with just the one stud supplied you do not necessarily park with the stud suitably positioned to locate in the clamp. You are perhaps 60% likely to get it right, but to park on my drive (in a specific location) I have been known to have to go for a drive round the block to get the van to stop with the wheel in the right position.

2. The locking mechanism is very fiddly and you sometimes struggle to get the system to work. The key has to be precisely in the right position in the lock.

3. I suspect any amount of corrosion or dirt, or in particular sand (from block paving) could cause the lock to seize on. It took me 45 minutes to get mine off once, which I suspect was a bit of grit in the mechanism.

So no,I would not buy one again.
The Bargee
The Bargee

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by natmat Sat Aug 03, 2024 9:05 pm

Thanks for you comments.

I had wondered about the issue The Bargee mentioned, about alignment of the wheel nut with the Milenco.

My MH has a tracker and that I hope will lead to a speedy recovery. I'm not going to confront anyscum that choses to steal it and, as said, nothing will stop the determined.

Considering the £500/year MH insurance and the -£1 reduction in premium for additional security devices, it is not worth me paying the additional £180 for something that is:
a. inconvenient to fit, 
b. is only a deterrent not an anti-theft immobiliser and 
c. an unrecoverable cost to me in the long-term.
natmat
natmat

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down