The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leaking top window (DUETTO)

5 posters

Go down

Leaking top window (DUETTO) Empty Leaking top window (DUETTO)

Post by Bulletguy Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:18 pm

One of my upper top side windows (roof side) in my Duetto is letting water in when it's opened. Rain appears to settle in the gasket channel and eventually soak down into the interior. When it's fully closed it's ok so i'm of the opinion that maybe the outer seal has perished (??). The other window is perfect ok in rain.

Has anyone removed one of these windows and if so, what was the procedure?

Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Vanless

Back to top Go down

Leaking top window (DUETTO) Empty Re: Leaking top window (DUETTO)

Post by icom706 Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:46 pm

Hi Bulletguy
I have the same thing with my trophy window shrugg I found that the rain was running down the face of the roof above the window and into the seal before dripping onto the shelf below the window. I have not had time to do anything about it yet except close the window. My thoughts are to glue a plastic profile above the window to divert rain water away from the seal. I will try it with double sided tape to see if it is a fix before making more permanent.
Hope this makes some sense to you, it maybe worth a look.

Ernie
icom706
icom706

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trophy

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:47 pm

Bulletguy wrote:One of my upper top side windows (roof side) in my Duetto is letting water in when it's opened. Rain appears to settle in the gasket channel and eventually soak down into the interior. When it's fully closed it's ok so i'm of the opinion that maybe the outer seal has perished (??). The other window is perfect ok in rain.

Hi there,

I'm intrigued, and have a question! confused3

I left both windows open during a thunderstorm last year and the nearside one let in enough water to stain the fabric on the inside. tap_fingers

I thought that this was because the nearside was on the windward side during the storm so my question is "Are these windows designed to keep the water out if they are open during rain?"

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:54 pm

Bulletguy wrote:

My van is a Flair, which in terms of these windows is I think pretty much the same as a Duetto. I've recently removed and refitted the windows on both sides, and it's not particularly enjoyable. I had to remove both roof lining panels, the roof shelf front, the over-cab locker partition (do you have one of these on a Duetto?), window blind and roof side lining panel.

When you've done that, you can get to the screws that hold the aluminium clamps in place. Once they are removed, the window can just be pushed out, though the sealant used is very sticky and will resist. You will need a new butyl rubber mastic strip to seal the window again when it goes back in, and AS recommend a bead of silicon sealant around the outside once the mastic excess has been trimmed away.

The sealant mastic strip can only be bought in (IIRC) 8m lengths from AS, which is enough to do 3 windows with plenty to spare. I have enough left over to do one window, if you only need to re-seal one.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Member Age : 24
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2006

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:23 pm

-mojo- wrote:
Bulletguy wrote:

My van is a Flair, which in terms of these windows is I think pretty much the same as a Duetto. I've recently removed and refitted the windows on both sides, and it's not particularly enjoyable. I had to remove both roof lining panels, the roof shelf front, the over-cab locker partition (do you have one of these on a Duetto?), window blind and roof side lining panel.

When you've done that, you can get to the screws that hold the aluminium clamps in place. Once they are removed, the window can just be pushed out, though the sealant used is very sticky and will resist. You will need a new butyl rubber mastic strip to seal the window again when it goes back in, and AS recommend a bead of silicon sealant around the outside once the mastic excess has been trimmed away.

The sealant mastic strip can only be bought in (IIRC) 8m lengths from AS, which is enough to do 3 windows with plenty to spare. I have enough left over to do one window, if you only need to re-seal one.

Thanks for that!! Whistle1

I think I will just make sure that the window is shut when it rains!! allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:42 pm

In writing the above I assumed that the OP had some reason to believe that the seal between window and roof had failed at the bottom of the window and was drawing water up by capillary action into the van.

If that is not the case then I accept that I have probably wasted several minutes of my life typing out info that is irrelevant to the problem.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:41 am

Bulletguy wrote:One of my upper top side windows (roof side) in my Duetto is letting water in when it's opened. Rain appears to settle in the gasket channel and eventually soak down into the interior. When it's fully closed it's ok so i'm of the opinion that maybe the outer seal has perished (??). The other window is perfect ok in rain.

Mojo,

I've highlighted the bit that confused me as well. confused3

I took that "When it's fully closed it's ok ...." to mean that it only leaked when it was opened; and that the window should somehow maintain integrity. look here

I guess I could dig out a ladder and get the old creaky knees going to have a look; but on second thoughts I think I'll just keep the window closed. allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:52 pm

I agree, it's confusingly written.

I ~think~ that the OP may actually have been asking how to remove the window pane, and not the complete window, in order to replace the rubber seal.

However, if it's like mine, you can replace the rubber seal in situ. I did this to mine, having bought a replacement rubber from AS. If you do this you have to be ~very careful~ when closing the latches - the replacemen seal was slightly thicker than the original, and it would be very easy to break the handles in the process of trying to compress the new seal. In my case the replacement seal didn't help, but then I was trying to make my window waterproof when closed, not while open!
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:13 pm

-mojo- wrote:I agree, it's confusingly written.

I ~think~ that the OP may actually have been asking how to remove the window pane, and not the complete window, in order to replace the rubber seal.
Hang in a minute guys........I will go and take a photo!

Bear with me as i'm on a site where the wi-fi has a nasty habit of just 'disappearing'!
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:56 pm

OK here we go;

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

As you can see it's one of the windows fitted in the upper side roof section. When it is fully closed everything is ok, but if it is opened (just slightly) during rain, the water drops down in a channel where the lever locks are (bit difficult to get a photo of that part). The water then eventually seeps down and yesterday after non-stop rain during the night, had soaked the beige coloured interior panel and the green cloth coloured ledge. Since I have now kept this window firmly shut, the damp has had chance to dry out.

When raining it should be possible to slightly open either or both of these windows for air to circulate without the interior getting wet. Indeed the other window is fine. My van is on a level surface and the rain was not blown in by wind.

I cannot be 100% if it is the outer rubber seal as that appears to be sound. But I can not figure out how/where the water is seeping in. It appears to rest in the lower channel and then gradually seep through that into the interior.

Any suggestions/ideas?

Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:06 pm

-mojo- wrote:
Bulletguy wrote:

BIB doesn't surprise me one bit. I had to remove two roof lining section just to get at the damn roof aerial base mount........frustratingly crazy and time consuming when you consider an internal roof aerial could have been fitted by A/S instead.

My Duetto is a 2+2 berth so does not have the overcab 'locker'.

Will let you know if it turns out I need new sealant strip.
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Stewart John Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:33 pm

Hi

I have had the same problem about three weeks ago. Open the top windows when I was cooking then it pour with rain. I could see the rain pouring in through the top hinge so thinking about it every top windows may be prone to leaking when open. scratch head

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz 2.0 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:45 pm

Stewart John wrote:Hi

I have had the same problem about three weeks ago. Open the top windows when I was cooking then it pour with rain. I could see the rain pouring in through the top hinge so thinking about it every top windows may be prone to leaking when open. scratch head

Not in this case Stewart.

It occurred once before at the start of my trip back in July when it rained fairly heavy one day but since then i've had zero rain until yesterday so had forgotten about it.

Bear this in mind. The van is on a totally level surface, there is zero wind, and the rain was lashing down straight on the roof. The roof window on the O/S (drivers) does not let water in when opened......even if fully open.

Before closing the window I looked at the bottom (grey) rubber moulded channel which was full of water.....the opposite side window had no water in this channel at all.

Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:57 pm

Hi there,

We have the same "water-stain" marks as can be seen in the photographs!!! tap_fingers

I have therefore come to the following conclusions:

1. The windows are not designed to prevent water entry if:
o The rain is "wind-driven" and therefore not arriving vertically.
o The Duetto is at an angle. (i.e. the "high" window will allow water in.)

2. The windows may not be designed to prevent water entry at all when in the "Open" position.

3. The easiest of all options is for me to keep the windows shut tight if it is raining or if there is even the vague possibility of rain. allthumbz allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround
Ian the Defeatist

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:24 pm

Dutto wrote:Hi there,

We have the same "water-stain" marks as can be seen in the photographs!!! tap_fingers

2. The windows may not be designed to prevent water entry at all when in the "Open" position.

3. The easiest of all options is for me to keep the windows shut tight if it is raining or if there is even the vague possibility of rain. allthumbz allthumbz

BIB Dutto........note my previous posts; My van is standing on a very level surface and the rain was not being subject to 'wind driven'.

Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by -mojo- Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:00 pm

Bulletguy wrote:
Before closing the window I looked at the bottom (grey) rubber moulded channel which was full of water

Visually your windows look identical to mine, but there are no grey rubber moulded parts anywhere to be seen on mine. The grey channel on mine is powder-coated aluminium, and the window frame is formed from a single length of that channel bent into shape, with the join at the top.

If water is getting from that channel into the vehicle, it would have to be coming through one or more of the 5 screw holes where the catches are fixed to the frame.
-mojo-
-mojo-

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Thu Sep 13, 2012 7:20 pm

Bulletguy wrote:

BIB Dutto........note my previous posts; My van is standing on a very level surface and the rain was not being subject to 'wind driven'.

In which case 2. and 3. above apply! allthumbz

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:55 pm

-mojo- wrote:
Bulletguy wrote:
Before closing the window I looked at the bottom (grey) rubber moulded channel which was full of water

Visually your windows look identical to mine, but there are no grey rubber moulded parts anywhere to be seen on mine. The grey channel on mine is powder-coated aluminium, and the window frame is formed from a single length of that channel bent into shape, with the join at the top.

If water is getting from that channel into the vehicle, it would have to be coming through one or more of the 5 screw holes where the catches are fixed to the frame.

The grey rubber channel where water is settling and (I think) seeping through is internal and looks to be part of the frame.

Dutto wrote:
Bulletguy wrote:

In which case 2. and 3. above apply! allthumbz

I'm talking about a window being open just millimetres. To have to shut them tight at the slightest drop of rain doesn't make sense unless there is a wind severe enough to drive rain in.

Once i'm back in UK I will give Alan at A/S a call and see what he has to say.

Whilst on the subject, something I have noticed is the difference between my previous Camper which was a 1993 Mk4 Transit, and my current Duetto Mk5 2000 reg model.

On my old Transit Camper you could drive in pouring rain with the driver side window completely down.....and no rain would enter. On my Duetto you can't do this as the rain just gushes in. The doors and window style of both are identical, but my Duetto is fitted with larger door mirrors and the metal drip channel which runs the length of the van has a fancy plastic covering along it......which serves no useful purpose as far as I can see. I've noticed when driving in rain, this plastic covering seems to divert the water neatly straight on to the side window.

Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Bulletguy Sat Sep 15, 2012 2:48 pm

-mojo- wrote:
Bulletguy wrote:

Apologies Mojo........you are right.

Had a good close look today (with my glasses on!! hugegrins ) and the grey section is as you say aluminium framing. Since getting this leak i've kept the window shut tight, but yesterday turned the van completely around so the window which doesn't leak is now on the 'leaking side' (if you follow me!).

Earlier today it rained and I left this window open to the same degree as the one that leaked water. Result? No water got in.

I watched how the rain dripped down the window, then to the window pane bottom so missing the interior completely. So I think with the 'problem window' on the other side, rain is somehow seeping in behind the window pane, then into the channel and eventually the interior.
Bulletguy
Bulletguy

Male

Back to top Go down