The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Whale heater difficult to ignite on gas

5 posters

Go down

Whale heater difficult to ignite on gas Empty Whale heater difficult to ignite on gas

Post by ckb Mon Jul 15, 2024 8:49 am

I have a 2021 Symbol that I have owned since February. I tried to get the Whale space heater to light but it tries to ignite as you can hear it making all the right noises the green light on the control stays on for a few seconds then it goes off. It does this cycle 3 times then the red light comes on and the code says check gas and regulator which are all OK as the fridge and water heater are on. After a couple of times of doing this it eventually lights by which time we have warmed up anyway
ckb
ckb

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Whale heater difficult to ignite on gas Empty Re: Whale heater difficult to ignite on gas

Post by v8oholic Mon Jul 15, 2024 11:50 am

Exactly the same as mine. I've just got used to it. In the early days I took it to Marquis twice to get them to raise a warranty claim, but of course it lit first time when I was showing them. It makes no difference if other gas devices are on or not, what the temperature is, what altitude you are at. Sometimes it works well, sometimes it doesn't.

I can normally get it going in a couple of minutes. I'm sure I read somewhere that when you get a lockout you have to wait for a while or it won't reset. I discovered accidentally that's not actually true. The procedure is

1. press and release the heater button so it lights up
2. press and hold the heater button, and momentarily press +, then release the heater button (all in the space of a second or so)

This normally resets it instantly. Then you can switch it back on and try again. It's never failed to light by the third cycle.

Now the warranty has expired I may take it to Propex in Ringwood sometime. I've been told they are experts in all things Whale.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Back to top Go down

Whale heater difficult to ignite on gas Empty Re: Whale heater difficult to ignite on gas

Post by Kemerton-bath Mon Jul 15, 2024 5:43 pm

Similar experience to V8oholic’s. If the system hasn’t been used on gas mode for several weeks then l find it can be tricky to light. I think our worst case has been 2 or 3 lockouts before it lit. It seems to be a common problem but so far it hasn’t been serious enough for us to refer it to a Whale service agent.

Tim

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Bigt99 Mon Jul 15, 2024 5:52 pm

So, as I posted earlier, anyone got a solution to a Truma beheving similarly. Unfortunately, after the temporary phase mine now won't start at all

Tony
Bigt99
Bigt99
Donator
Donator

Male

Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Mon Jul 15, 2024 6:35 pm

Bigt99 wrote:So, as I posted earlier, anyone got a solution to a Truma beheving similarly. Unfortunately, after the temporary phase mine now won't start at all

Tony
Best not to confuse this thread, which concerns a Whale system. Better to stick with the thread you’ve already started for a Truma system.

Tim

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by gef Mon Jul 15, 2024 6:51 pm

There has been a mod with a longer exhaust pipe but how you find out if your van has had it I don't know.  Maybe whale or as could tell you. See you on another rally fixed
gef

Male

Member Age : 80
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2019

ckb likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by ckb Wed Jul 17, 2024 9:33 am

Thanks all. I think as saud here it is an under use issue. I have tried lighting it on gas every morning since we have been away and it is getting easier to light. When we are back home I think I will have to fire it up once a week
ckb
ckb

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by ckb Mon Jul 22, 2024 5:33 pm

As an update I still can't light the heater easily so I got in touch with Whale who said that the heater is designed to try and ignite 5 times before locking out. And if the heater locks out and resets ok then there isn't a problem and to contact an approved engineer if I still feel there is a problem. Think I will see how things go and mention it on next habitation service if it is still a problem
ckb
ckb

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Mon Jul 22, 2024 6:07 pm

Well, I feel there’s a problem. After all, their water heater lights first time, every time. I don’t think it’s unreasonable to expect the same from the space heater!
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by ckb Mon Jul 22, 2024 9:10 pm

I agree. I have no problem getting the water heater ro fire up. By the time the I have messed around trying to get the heater fired up I have warmed up anyway
ckb
ckb

Female

Back to top Go down