The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Whale heater

+3
inspiredron
Justus2
Rudi's Mum
7 posters

Go down

Whale heater Empty Whale heater

Post by Rudi's Mum Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:48 am

We are on our first trip in our 2013 Topaz since the habitation service in February and I've noticed that the red light keeps flashing even though the gas is not switched on- neither are the controls.  We normally use a small electric fan while on hook up. Any ideas please as due to my husband having had a stroke I am the driver and not very technical.

Sue
Rudi's Mum
Rudi's Mum

Female

Member Age : 78
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Whale heater Empty Re: Whale heater

Post by Guest Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:58 pm

Sue
How many red flashes do you get before it pauses and then repeats?

Regards
John
Anonymous

Back to top Go down

Post by Rudi's Mum Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:12 pm

It is continually flashing and yet no gas is switched on.
Rudi's Mum
Rudi's Mum

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Justus2 Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:27 am

Have a look at pages 22 and 23 of this :   

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I'm not sure it is the correct manual for your model, but it refers to "gas lock out " and a red light flashing.. I suspect that if you turned your gas on, then ran it on gas for a short while then turned it off, that your red light may go out.... It seems to suggest that the red light indicates that there is air in the pipework eg following a bottle change...  We had a Truma heater which did much the same...

My understanding of a " gas lockout " is that the system is sensing air rather than gas in the pipework, so is disabling the gas side of things, and flashing a red light to let you know ..

Quote from page 23 here :-

Gas Lockouts Gas lockouts must be cleared by turning the selector knob from gas on (flame) position to off position then back to the on position. The complete sequence of switch movements must be completed within 2.5 seconds for a lockout to be successfully cleared. If there is air in the gas line, e.g. after a gas bottle change, the space heater may require several attempts before it lights. Lockouts can also be cleared by switching to the ‘fan only’ position and then back to ‘on’ within this 2.5 second period. Other Lockouts If the lockout is caused when the unit is operated on electric, the lockout can be cleared by turning the selector knob from electric ‘on’ position to ‘off’ position then back to the ‘on’ position. The complete sequence of switch movements must be completed within 2.5 seconds for a lockout to be successfully cleared. Note: A cycling of the power supply to the unit will not clear a lockout. Some gas lockouts, e.g. ignition lockout and combustion air faults will still permit use of the appliance in electric only operation. If the problem persists contact Whale Support on +44 (0)845 217 2933
Justus2
Justus2

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:16 pm

Rudi's Mum wrote:It is continually flashing and yet no gas is switched on.
It is saying - Sorry, I cannot light because my flame is going out - perhaps becuase of no gas (your case) or because of insufficient air (if the cover fitted to the outside of some older flues has not been removed.

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by Rudi's Mum Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:32 pm

Thank you so much Justus 2, I really appreciate your help I switched the gas on and switched the control on an off a few times and the light has thankfully stopped flashing.

Thanks also to Inspiredron,

Sue
Rudi's Mum
Rudi's Mum

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by Gromit Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:46 pm

Hi Sue
Just noticed this thread. It will happen again for sure, specially when you use the van for the first time in a while.

I know it's impossible for air to get into a sealed gas system, but it does!! Our fridge is the worst. I sometimes takes ten minutes of re-trying before it will stay lit, and even the hobs are sometimes stubborn.

Just keep at it, and once you have purged the pipework and the pure gas is getting through, it will be OK.
Gromit
Gromit
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 81
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK LP
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by inspiredron Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:45 am

Gromit wrote:Hi Sue
Just noticed this thread. It will happen again for sure, specially when you use the van for the first time in a while.

I know it's impossible for air to get into a sealed gas system, but it does!! Our fridge is the worst. I sometimes takes ten minutes of re-trying before it will stay lit, and even the hobs are sometimes stubborn.

Just keep at it, and once you have purged the pipework and the pure gas is getting through, it will be OK.
ALWAYS when you have changed a bottle or when the van has been left for some time turn off the fridge, then turn on the gas and light a gas burner.  ONLY when that is burning well turn the fridge on.  The fridge wil then light within seconds!
That is my experience.  up!

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

Post by MelB Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:19 am

It happened to me also last weekend. Remedy is as other forum members have said above & explained in some detail in the A/S Manual. Gas lockout, switch the control on & off.
Mel
MelB
MelB
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 74
Auto-Sleeper Model : KEMERTON
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by Rudi's Mum Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:46 pm

Thanks all, brilliant forum.  I was totally puzzled as I hadn't switched the gas on and hadn't attempted to use the heater
Rudi's Mum
Rudi's Mum

Female

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:17 pm

Hi,
To cancel the light you just switch it on and off again within about three seconds.
Pete
breakaleg
breakaleg

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo Ek
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by Stewart John Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:06 pm

Hi

I had this error in the Topaz since new. As said to cancel switch on and off. I also turn the thermostat temperature dial to full on when not being used. I get less errors doing that.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 76
Auto-Sleeper Model : Topaz 2.0 2014

Back to top Go down