The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wifi.

+5
Cymro
Caraman
Dbvwt
RML
Nue
9 posters

Go down

Wifi. Empty Wifi.

Post by Nue Tue May 28, 2024 4:39 am

I am looking at getting the Wi-Fi in my MH when not on site so have no EHU.
I do have a Samsung mobile phone (14), and this is on a monthly bill where I do receive the Wi-Fi so am able to get emails etc wherever I am and can use Google.
I am looking to use my laptop, (fully charged for 6 hours) mainly for writing, but need to check certain things online, at the moment I check my work when I get home which as you can imagine is a pain.
The big question, well big to me that is, how do I get the Wi-Fi in my MH when parked up with no EHU?
a guide to cost and plans would be helpful
Please be gentle with me and explain any way/s that would work, I'm not a savvy techno.
Thank you very much in anticipation of the knowledge that I know you guys give.
Nue
Nue
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Wifi. Empty Re: Wifi.

Post by RML Tue May 28, 2024 7:06 am

I have used this company in the past..
https://www.motorhomewifi.com/
Rich..
RML
RML

Male

Member Age : 64
Auto-Sleeper Model : Ex - Gatcombe
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Tue May 28, 2024 7:07 am

There are a couple of main options.

1- Turn on a setting on the phone called ‘mobile hotspot’. This effectively turns the phone into a mini WiFi router. It will use the phones data allowance though so you need to make sure you have enough.
2- Buy a dedicated mobile WiFi router. This will need a separate SIM but these are readily available and cost effective. I use a Huawei 5577 with Smarty SIM. I also fitted an external antenna on the van roof which connects to the Huawei for better coverage but that’s another conversation.

Last edited by Dbvwt on Tue May 28, 2024 7:17 am; edited 4 times in total
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

IanH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Tue May 28, 2024 7:08 am

Nue wrote:...
I am looking to use my laptop, (fully charged for 6 hours) mainly for writing, but need to check certain things online, at the moment I check my work when I get home which as you can imagine is a pain.
You should be able to set up your mobile phone and laptop so that your laptop uses your mobile phone's e-mail and internet access and therefore do everything on your laptop that you would do at home less video streaming which will eat into your mobile phone's data allowance.  A limitation will be your laptop's battery whose charger is probably mains powered.  Depending on the type of laptop you have, it is possible to buy power banks for them which effectively increases their battery capacity or, as IanH has said below, buy a 12V charger.

Just seen that Dvwt has said the same thing at his point one.

Last edited by Caraman on Tue May 28, 2024 7:30 am; edited 5 times in total
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Tue May 28, 2024 7:08 am

Following advice on this Forum, I bought two things: First, a portable wifi router. Here is an example - there are many available and no doubt one of our more expert members can advise as to which to buy.
Huawei

That has a reasonable (rechargeable) battery life and so can be used when not on EHU. It can be charged from your 12v leisure battery.

Second, you'll need a data-only SIM card to go in the router to enable it to pick up a mobile signal, and relay it to your laptop or other device. Again, on advice, I bought Three Mobile's "internet with Legs" data-only SIM, which gives 24GB and which lasts for up to 24 months from first use. Again, there are other data-only cards available. Get one which will work in the countries to which you're travelling.

Depending on your package, you can use your UK telephone as a hotspot (you enable hotspot in the phone's settings) and you can then connect your device to it, thus giving you wifi for your laptop etc. But you must have adequate data allowance.

That's a start to enable you to begin research. Like you, I'll look forward to later responses, which will give better and current information.

Cymro

PS I typed the above slowly, during when the two earlier replies were posted. Sorry to repeat some of their advice.
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Caraman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Tue May 28, 2024 7:20 am

Huawei for us too. (Same one as Cymro)  Virtually never fails to get good WiFi, only needs a reasonable phone signal. (If this doesn't get a good phone signal, your phone won't either?) Can be connected via USB to the LB, or has a battery life of about 3 or 4 hrs.

Laptop can have a 12v power supply too, there are many available with 12v input and output to suit your particular laptop voltage.
Or a 250w pure sine wave inverter.

All of that running at once is probably circa 5A (more if you go for an inverter) 
from the LB, 100W of solar will easily charge the LB to keep you going.

One last thing, charge your laptop whilst driving, you'll have a more or less infinite amount of power then compared to when stationary...

In our case with 130w of solar, and a simple 110Ah LB, we hardly ever use EHU and do most of what you want to....

Wifi. AP1GczNao_UrWC2A_wlTjhhuQsjZyRpG0xzkG8XSA5mmezvYjchYrkusWWQEIVd81I4m5oPIl6rsAM6ujLlUXAhmsN0SuXCvqSqeZ4WDm6jBsScKrRFfEnnynQGkQKbjILI8S-NByFpkt33pbp6S7EIXGX_YRHcIfKqD9togqzo_BbEza7oLUmBcncqEGfGMkWiCNoYnfpKwfMCz9Gylh97SjLiJqnnxXGDhnKoaVXebRV9GZUCD0eCJKbvZ81i-3ovY0dg4pp03g1o-4N1cwxixrzFOMohdenALDeZNbeDgYvIpH26t7bmDLMi6wA2wfcsR1hnCu5gxwsygmi0D95cHjwLlCv5L-y_Ojx7WbJ3cthu5up6ehozxzaTbLLclT4WQmLMfUYCPi-Zgqz7ot2piJSkX5kwnRGmLYGrX9yFV9u3GCxlVe36nb1BOIHXN3UoBCe1LDWDGazi8E7XQr3hbOBezEzRj-8dUX6TKDMYaSYk9ikVsYWWDJcAkGY4YFcnrIuR3Xs2MJys9Q2TXUmmGToyekeqtQCRutGQwRIZdvlwC8oTqiqtKjT0wEYLCNXYqwShy6LuIy1Afa2C8UAYkdLHm5zO5oAc73OWdNRQ5EHCJ_S9VaE1cGKQl6Q6_e-m_6avcq6tXzgNrANmA9lUcPXqpWLVfScYvWO8qSB2PX-ZrhQ8m0ykqFztmdn-LK0DbBNvyCRknVjwYH9Wii-mQeZ0G2mLpZ6zxWLoalF_pyr3LF-L15BOSIDc6QJZc-cGMzlxMirDqeTTkDyjE6sRgHQDkiR4_c-nd0KOtwTqhTRRD3kHaWZ9Q8xzT9g9_T3TyvSvwHuqT7wu_3-NI5z4CWlKyl1aKKm5BJDbOcfCnrSFZMrWV5qqLZ7wTjkYUIk6qrcbUHKZyDbB2wuAXVrGZxMSNzA=w527-h702-s-no-gm?authuser=0
A rare event where the external Wifi aerials were needed by Huawei. Indeed, so rare I only just remembered having them!
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by Roopert Tue May 28, 2024 10:21 am

I used a Hauwei Mifi device like the above for a few years, but Android (and I guess Apple) phones have developed so much that I never use it. I just use my dual-SIM mobile phone as a hotspot, with two SIMs that are on different networks. The phone is smart enough to auto-switch between SIMs depending on which one has the better signal strength.

For me it simplifies things - I have to keep my phone charged anyway, which is easy with a USB socket from the leisure battery. A wifi dongle is just one more thing to have to keep charged up.
Roopert
Roopert

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Trooper
Vehicle Year : 2005

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bargee Tue May 28, 2024 10:26 am

Roopert wrote:I used a Hauwei Mifi device like the above for a few years, but Android (and I guess Apple) phones have developed so much that I never use it. I just use my dual-SIM mobile phone as a hotspot, with two SIMs that are on different networks. The phone is smart enough to auto-switch between SIMs depending on which one has the better signal strength.

For me it simplifies things - I have to keep my phone charged anyway, which is easy with a USB socket from the leisure battery. A wifi dongle is just one more thing to have to keep charged up.

Absolutely! I have pretty much given up on dongles. We use our iPhones almost all the time now including for smart TV via Firestick. If the signal is a bit iffy I just hang the phone up in the window to help it escape the Faraday cage effect of a PVC or barge.
The Bargee
The Bargee

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2019

Eltel likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Tue May 28, 2024 10:31 am

I only have a poor peoples phone!
And no Faraday cage!! hugegrins

Last edited by IanH on Tue May 28, 2024 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Nue likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Tue May 28, 2024 10:31 am

Another vote here for using a phone as a mobile hotspot. I’ve done it with both an Android phone and an iPhone and it’s simple with both. All you need is a mobile signal, sufficient data and to be able to charge your phone and connected devices from one or both of your van batteries.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

R88BUC and Caraman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Tue May 28, 2024 11:04 am

Whilst I agree with what Roopert and TinWheeler have said above - and indeed I almost never need the Huawei when in the UK - it's different when abroad because my EE mobile package would make it expensive to use much roaming data. I find it more cost effective to buy a data-only sim for the router, which can be used in any country for up to 24 months or until all data is used. We use that data-only sim for WhatsApp / Skype / and general internet use as usual. Both our phones and other devices can, of course, connect to it - simultaneously if necessary.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

IanH likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Tue May 28, 2024 11:12 am

Ditto, surprisingly good on cruise ships too, clearly when there's a phone signal....
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Tue May 28, 2024 11:52 am

That’s certainly a valid point, Cymro. I’ve only needed to use the internet once when out of the UK and mine is O2 with no roaming charges so it wasn’t an issue for me.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Back to top Go down

Post by Nue Tue May 28, 2024 11:55 am

Good morning MHers,

As the observant ones amongst you (I guess that's all of you) noticed I was unable to sleep and at 4am decided I know who will know the answers, Auto sleeper's forum, I was not wrong.

The advice has been very useful, and I shall keep you updated on following your comments as I can imagine others may think this a daunting task, well I did anyway.

My present phone contract is the minimum, £4.95 per month, all calls texts and 5GB of data. 
The phone company, talk mobile have offered me 70gb up to 100gb for an extra £5 per monthly or unlimited gbs for a total of £16 per month. So far so good.

I am now exploring the different systems and am waiting for an audio expert to contact me so that I can find out all the differences, which in turn I shall paste here, including costs.

Watch this space. / THANK YOU, I hope I am not wasting your precious time.
Nue
Nue
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo EK
Vehicle Year : 2017

Cymro, Tinwheeler and Dbvwt like this post

Back to top Go down