The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maxview Aerial gone awol

+4
breakaleg
The Bargee
Monty-Plym
LDPD
8 posters

Go down

Maxview Aerial gone awol Empty Maxview Aerial gone awol

Post by LDPD Mon May 20, 2024 8:56 pm

I see a few people have suffered with the loss of the aerial head which became detached from the base attached to the roof. I believe we have/had the Mk1 version and have joined this exclusive club. 

There appears to be a new Mk2 version of this aerial which happens to have a different mounting foot and  method of attachment but the amplifier remains the same. So, does anyone know if it is possible to replace the old mounting foot with the new version or is the coax cable integrated in such a way to render this approach impossible; in which case the new cable would need passing through the roof and routed through the path the existing cable takes - I'm guessing that it wouldn't be straightforward?

I've had a quote of in excess of £350 to replace what's left of the existing set up with the new Mk2 version which has left me reeling as I've found the Mk2 aerial complete kit for ~£83. 

So, any thoughts on what may be possible? Would welcome some creative thinking on this one!

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Bourton
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Maxview Aerial gone awol Empty Re: Maxview Aerial gone awol

Post by Monty-Plym Mon May 20, 2024 11:04 pm

Take a look at this thread, it may help you make an alternative decision

https://www.autosleeper-ownersforum.com/t43657-max-view-gazzelle-pro#398628

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL MQ
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bargee Tue May 21, 2024 6:28 am

As the linked thread suggests the stubby aerial seems to do a better job than the Gazelle at a tiny fraction of the price.

However we don’t seem to use ours much now. I bought a Firestick for the TV on our barge last year since we have been finding that in Continental Europe we often have more chance of getting a phone (I.e. internet) signal than a TV signal, and of course we can pick up U.K. TV (with a U.K. registered phone). We were also finding satellite was getting more difficult as trees are allowed to grow up along the waterways, and more buildings are built in the way.

I then bought another Firestick for the van because we have been finding the same signal issue in the U.K. We are finding that the phone signal (I.e. internet) is better than the TV signal in many rural areas. So long as you have an unlimited or generous data deal on your phone then you can have in effect a smart tv on the move, even if your tv itself is a simple dumb one. We also use a small EE/BT dongle which is slightly more sensitive in some areas, and there are all sorts of more high tech alternatives, but we find that just the phone and Firestick is fine almost all of the time.
The Bargee
The Bargee

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham

Monty-Plym, Peter Brown and Suppersready like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg Tue May 21, 2024 9:34 am

Hi,
I to bought a stubby from a suggestion on here and to be honest it works far better than the TV ariel set up from Auto sleeper.

Just last week we were on the c&m club site at Bromyard downs, our pitch was down in a hollow the van ariel achieved 0 channels and the stubby found over 100 and all were Chrystal clear.

best £12.00 I have ever spent, also if you buy a cello TV one comes in the box with it so they must believe in their quality.
Pete
breakaleg
breakaleg

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo Ek
Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Tue May 21, 2024 10:13 am

Maxview Aerial gone awol Cimg9845
Not having a metal roof, mine sits on an epoxied and painted penny washer on whichever wing mirror seems best...Sometimes we get less than 50 channels..... hugegrins hugegrins

(Most of which are 100% cr8p)
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Post by breakaleg Tue May 21, 2024 10:18 am

Pop mine through the roof light, don't need to be a metal base.
pete
breakaleg
breakaleg

Male

Member Age : 68
Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo Ek

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Tue May 21, 2024 10:42 am

Taking the Firestick etc.. out of the equation (and this is the way forward IMO even though I currently use an aerial) this boils down to whether you want a fixed aerial or are happy to mount one on every trip?
Personally I’ve had enough of portable ones over the years and find them a right faff but that’s just me!
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

RML likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by LDPD Tue May 21, 2024 2:56 pm

Thanks all for your comments and suggestions. As an interim solution I got a small aerial with preamplifier off Amazon for a few pounds more than the stubby people have mentioned. Have been greatly impressed so far and think it might be the way forward. Just need to work out how to seal off/remove the broken base and make a tidy installation job for my new stubby.
LDPD
LDPD
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Bourton

Back to top Go down

Post by PLOUGHLIN Tue May 21, 2024 4:01 pm

LDPD wrote:Thanks all for your comments and suggestions. As an interim solution I got a small aerial with preamplifier off Amazon for a few pounds more than the stubby people have mentioned. Have been greatly impressed so far and think it might be the way forward. Just need to work out how to seal off/remove the broken base and make a tidy installation job for my new stubby.

This may help with sealing?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/111944279929

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Cymro and LDPD like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bargee Tue May 21, 2024 4:52 pm

I cut a piece of aluminium plate (about 2mm thick as I recall), drilled it using the old Gazelle mounting as a template (to use the existing screw holes) and bedded it down on a 2mm layer of OB1 using the old tile spacer trick.

Maxview Aerial gone awol Img_7610
The Bargee
The Bargee

Male

The Duc, Monty-Plym and LDPD like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Duc Thu Jun 13, 2024 4:54 pm

I did exactly the same using a piece of lead and now use a stubby aerial as recommended by various other people
The Duc
The Duc

Male

Back to top Go down