The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fiamma Bike Rack Failure

+19
rogerblack
John McHale
frederic
CC
IanH
MalMonty
Dbvwt
Jarjar
Arron
grumps81
The Bargee
bikeralw
Avontourist
Peter Brown
Cymro
Caraman
Paulmold
Toffee
Bowlertilt
23 posters

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Go down

Fiamma Bike Rack Failure  - Page 8 Empty Re: Fiamma Bike Rack Failure

Post by The Bargee Fri Sep 06, 2024 3:00 pm

I am not convinced that it is only the top rail that needs to be well secured. A severe sleeping policeman could cause quite an uplift on the bottom rail. If you are tooled up to fit a couple of toggles then you might as well fit four. (or 8 even), particularly since the lower ones are (from the sound of it) easier to get to.
The Bargee
The Bargee

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sat Sep 07, 2024 2:24 pm

The installation instructions for the 'fix' say there is no need to reinforce the lower mounting bar.  But you are right.  A sharp upward jolt of a fully loaded rack could be enough to pull the lower mounting bar off.  There is very good access to the back of the lower mounting bar batten so there would be no need to use toggle bolts.  Conventional bolts would do, so no need for the drilled holes to be oversize.  However, only one bolt at the end of each mounting bar can be used.  A-S have butchered the mounting bars by drilling holes through them to take their wood screws at the four points the rack is secured to the mounting bars.  The only way of fitting more bolts would be to break and remove the adhesive holding the mounting bars to the back of the van and then fit coach bolts whose heads are captivated by sliding them into the mounting bar's profile as per Fiamma's fitting instructions.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo

The Bargee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Sat Sep 07, 2024 2:30 pm

Honestly, the more I read of this thread the more annoyed I get with AS. Quite ridiculous that owners have to go through such hoops or take it to willersey or dealers for fixing a problem which should have  been foreseeable. 
Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Caraman Sat Sep 07, 2024 2:37 pm

It gets worse.  Yesterday out of the blue I had a call from my Marquis dealer.  They have never phoned before.  I thought they were going to tell me about the bike rack fix and invite me to have it done.  Nothing of kind.  When I asked about the fix they knew nothing about it.  All they were doing was seeing if we still had our Nuevo.  As we know, Marquis and A-S are joined at the hip.
Caraman
Caraman

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord&LadyBurford Sat Sep 07, 2024 10:23 pm

Paulmold wrote:All enquiries go through the leentech system, you just have to register an account.
Thanks Paul.

We are now at Camping de Haro, on our way back having driven all the way down through France, Barcelona and Benicassim. Sorry for the tardy response, we didn't want to jinx anything, but I am happy to report that our 2x23kg ebikes have travelled safely on the rack with our toggle bolts insitu.

We have had some minor unrelated issues but will post these elsewhere. We will use the leentech system when (not if!!) we need it in future.
Lord&LadyBurford
Lord&LadyBurford

Female

Auto-Sleeper Model : Burford
Vehicle Year : 2020

John McHale likes this post

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8