The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Solar upgrade

Go down

Solar upgrade Empty Solar upgrade

Post by The Bargee Mon Apr 08, 2024 11:22 am

I finally got round to the Kingham solar upgrade this weekend ahead of our Irish WAW trip next week.

I have slung the 80 watt poly panel and Sargent controller and fitted two x Renogy 175 watt mono panels (which just slip in between the roof rails nicely, thanks Glyne), wired in series in 6 sq.mm. cable to a disconnect/breaker under the settee, then 10 sq.mm. to a Victron MPPT 100/30 single output controller and on to the LB’s.

The dual sensing voltage sensing split charge relay (non-smart alternator thank goodness) that I fitted last year cuts in nicely at 13.7 volts so the VB is also charged by solar once the LB’s are up.

It works a treat so far. About 17.4 amps at the batteries late yesterday afternoon in a weak sun. 4.8 amps at 07.30 this morning in 10/10ths cloud. I never saw more than 2 amps from the standard Sargent setup!

I have abandoned the old single roof input gland in the cab roof and fitted a new double gland over the wardrobe, with the cables dropping down to the batteries under the settee via the TV co-ax cable enclosures in the wardrobe and the high level locker forward of the wardrobe bulkhead, thence down through the C pillar. I also removed the totally useless Gazelle antenna to make way for the rear panel and blanked the holes with a 3mm aluminium plate, screwed down through the original four antenna screw holes and bonded with OB1. There is still room right at the back of the roof for a little 100 watt panel if I ever want to fit one!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

I’m rather chuffed so far with my first solar install. Thanks to all who have given advice in past posts! hugegrins
The Bargee
The Bargee

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2019

Kemerton-bath, capt-insensible, Jake001 and Dbvwt like this post

Back to top Go down