The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

1991 Autosleeper Rambler - Toilet Problem

4 posters

Go down

1991 Autosleeper Rambler - Toilet Problem Empty 1991 Autosleeper Rambler - Toilet Problem

Post by kenbrewster Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:30 pm

Hello,
I am a new member of ASOF. I am 73 years old and my family has camped and caravanned since the 1970's.
Having fledged our brood, we decided five years ago to try a motorhome, albeit on a limited budget.

Our 1991 Rambler has performed well and most operating problems I have been able to fix myself. The toilt flushing system has now failed and I cannot fathom the cause. Part of the problem is that I have no infomation, flow diagram, electrical circuit etc.
I have removed and checked the valve in the actuating chamber beneath the flush knob. to no avail. It simply dribbles and there is no sound of the pump working as previously. The hot and cold water systems at the sink and the shower work normally.
Is there just one pump for water and toilet?
Presumably the pump should run as soon as the pressure in the system is released by operation of the flush knob?
Could there be a blockage which is retaining the pressure?
Can the flush deflector plate in the rim of the pan be removed for cleaning - and how?
I would be grateful for any advice which can be offered.

Thanks in anticipation.

Ken Brewster
kenbrewster
kenbrewster

Male

Member Age : 85
Auto-Sleeper Model : Rambler GL

Back to top Go down

1991 Autosleeper Rambler - Toilet Problem Empty Re: 1991 Autosleeper Rambler - Toilet Problem

Post by deckie Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:56 pm

Hi Ken,

Welcome to the forum (perhaps you could do a short intro, in the “New Members” section) up!

If your van has a Cassette type toilet, one possibility might be a “stuck-up” pump (it has it’s own pump)

Drain down the flush-tank first.

Remove the toilet-paper holder and lift out the lower section (Just pulls up)

The submersible pump will now be on view, it is held down by a Phillips screw ….. a screw-holding screwdriver is very handy here allthumbz

Often giving the impeller a bit of a turn will get things working again …..

Check you have 12 volt to the pump / wiring, when you push down the Flush-knob … the fuse will probably have blown if the pump has seized !!

Please post again, if this hasn’t got you going smile! (sorry about that hugegrins )

Brian

PS ...... This should help ....... [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by deckie on Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added a PS)

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper Model : Clubman GL

Back to top Go down

1991 Autosleeper Rambler - Toilet Problem Empty Re: 1991 Autosleeper Rambler - Toilet Problem

Post by chrisvesey Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:35 pm

Hi,
If your toilet has a flush water tank it will have it's own pump. Normally you press down on the blade moving knob and the pump runs, if this is your type try holding the knob down and tapping or thumping the area around the toilet roll holder. If no joy remove the waste holding tank and the at the underside of the works, there is a fuse holder there but it is awkward to see. Later models used the drinking water supply to flush and have a solenoid valve but I doubt that yours has this system,
Regards,
Chris V
If you google "thetford" all the wiring diagrams and parts lists are there.......somewhere
chrisvesey
chrisvesey
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : sold it
Vehicle Year : 2001

Back to top Go down

1991 Autosleeper Rambler - Toilet Problem Empty 1991 Rambler - Toilet Problems

Post by kenbrewster Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:32 pm

Dear Brian and Chris,
Many thanks for your responses. I suspect that my toilet precedes the design you are describing. We had cassette toilets on our caravans. Mine is broadly similar, but accessed from inside the van and does not have a flushing tank as such. There is no toilet roll holder, so I cannot look for a pump.
I searched through the Thetford website you referred me to and could not identify my model, although there was reference to cassete models with and without electric pumps. I suspect mine is without its own pump and relies on the pressure drop when the flush valve is operated to activate the main van pump. This pump works OK for other applications, which is why I wondered about a blockage retaining the pressure in the system. I will persevere.
Once again, thanks for your efforts. I would welcome any further thoughts you or others may have.
Ken
kenbrewster
kenbrewster

Male

Member Age : 85
Auto-Sleeper Model : Rambler GL

Back to top Go down

1991 Autosleeper Rambler - Toilet Problem Empty Toilet problem

Post by murph Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:35 pm

Remove the 2 screws under the handle, then the 4 screws below that securing the pump in place. (Sealer a bit messy). Remove the pump assembly complete. One of the clips at the bottom will have snapped causing gap and lack of pressure. File away the remainder of the broken clip. Fix a nylon tie fiirmly round the botttm of the tube, then put another tie around that, over where the broken clip was, thus holding the whole thing together.
I've just done it, and the pump unit is firmer than its ever been.
The local dealer wanted £25 for new pump assembly. All it cost me was 2 plastic ties !!!

Found this on another forum
Brian2
murph
murph

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper Model : Lancashire EK,ES.

Back to top Go down