The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Catalytic converter stolen

+4
CC
astrag60
boxerman
Tonyd
8 posters

Go down

Catalytic converter stolen Empty Catalytic converter stolen

Post by Tonyd Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:11 pm

Hi All. woke up this morning to find that my cat had been nicked. The lowlife responible had obviously cut thro the pipework with bolt cutters. My van was parked on my shingle drive just a few yards away from the bedroom and didnt hear a thing. On the 320 boxer its so easy probably took no more than 30 secs, the pipework either side indicates that some sort of shears were used. it was done very neatly lol! Manage to go on line and get a replacement for 100 quid from [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] nextday dly. Was bit of a sod to get the rusty nuts undone tho. I m just thankful that they didnt cut through brake n fuel lines etc etc while they were at it.!!
Was all set to go to moreton in marsh cc site on Monday but just dont feel like it now. and have cancelled my booking.Going to spend the time etc installing Security lights. I live in a village w that is still very much in the 1950s with hardly no crime at all. Perhaps this is a wake up call for me. Been looking at antitheft devices but I dont think they wont stop a pair of bolt cutters!!! confused0
Tonyd
Tonyd

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive

Back to top Go down

Catalytic converter stolen Empty Re: Catalytic converter stolen

Post by boxerman Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:22 pm

B*stards!
boxerman
boxerman
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : '95 Symphony
Vehicle Year : 1995

Back to top Go down

Post by astrag60 Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:31 pm

You can buy a wire whip security device for catalytic converters to try and stop them!
astrag60
astrag60

Male

Member Age : 47
Auto-Sleeper Model : duetto

Back to top Go down

Post by Tonyd Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:58 pm

Had a look at those devices, seems to run out at a 120.00 diy fit and if you had it fitted at a garage you would be looking at 1 hrs labour plus vat probably approaching 200.00. Repacement cat for my vehicle 100.00 plus inconvenience i dunnow ??? those security cables dont look like they would put up much of a fight against bolt croppers!!
Tonyd
Tonyd

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive

Back to top Go down

Post by CC Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:01 pm

Sorry to hear this, it's the second time we've had this happen to a forum member (Squip) and should be a warning to other members. Really cant stress enough the value of security lighting and a CCTV outfit, at night the cameras are illuminated red due to the infra red and are clearly visible... definitely a deterrent. Hearing of this really stinks as it can happen to any of us so angry these people are not opportunists but skilled gangs who seek out vehicles like ours as they are easy to access underneath compared to cars that are often lower to the ground.

CC

Male

Member Age : 59
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by mikeandlizriley Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:16 am

Hi. Sorry to hear your news. I can well understand how you feel about not going away because of what has happened, I would probably feel exactly the same. But we should not let members of the low life brigade put us off what we all enjoy doing. If we stop doing what is as good a way of life as you could wish for then the evil b******s have won....!

Hope you get things sorted soon

Best wishes

Mike Riley

up!
mikeandlizriley
mikeandlizriley

Male

Member Age : 79
Auto-Sleeper Model : VW T4 Trident
Vehicle Year : 2003

Back to top Go down

Post by scrumpyjack14 Sat Sep 01, 2012 8:32 am

Really sorry to hear about this theft - as has been said: don't let them win - don't let it stop you enjoying yourself!

On the security front... Assuming they used a giant pair of 'scissors' to flatten and then cut through the pipe either side of the cat - what about getting a local welding shop to take a couple of lengths of 10mm solid bar, bend them roughly to the shape of the exhaust pipe, and weld them (just a few good tacks should do it) on top and beneath the pipes either side of the cat?

Surely that would make it impossible for the pipe to be sliced through - and putting them top and bottom (rather then on the side) would stop the use of bolt- cutters to chop the bar?

I guess it depends how determined they are!!

Wire up the exhaust to the mains electric overnight?? hugegrins snigger

Steve
scrumpyjack14
scrumpyjack14

Male

Member Age : 50
Auto-Sleeper Model : Trident
Vehicle Year : 2008

Back to top Go down

Post by shantymanles Sat Sep 01, 2012 12:44 pm

If caught, the punishment for the aforementioned low-life b.......s should involve bolt croppers and genitals!!

Shantymanles.
shantymanles
shantymanles

Male

Member Age : 86
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by Dutto Sat Sep 01, 2012 10:00 pm

Tonyd wrote:Had a look at those devices, seems to run out at a 120.00 diy fit and if you had it fitted at a garage you would be looking at 1 hrs labour plus vat probably approaching 200.00. Repacement cat for my vehicle 100.00 plus inconvenience i dunnow ??? those security cables dont look like they would put up much of a fight against bolt croppers!!

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about the b*st*rds! tap_fingers

Was checking on something else and ran into this.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It looks to be a fairly substantial bit of kit and it probably comes with a sign that you stick on the window to deter people. It's no use to me as "Petal" is much to old to have a cat anyway! up!

Best regards,
drinksallround

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Duetto

Back to top Go down