The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Leisure battery - to Vent or not to vent

5 posters

Go down

Leisure battery - to Vent or not to vent Empty Leisure battery - to Vent or not to vent

Post by drivinghorseuk Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:13 pm

Last year we bought a 2014 Symbol from a camper van dealer.  The leisure battery supplied was a Bosch L5 013 which is in a non airtight box under the long seat/pullout bed in the habitation area.  Have just had an annual habitation check done.  Failed on the grounds that the battery should be vented by a tube to the outside or in a box  sealed from the habitation area which is vented to the outside, or alternativly fitted with a sealed battery.  I have replaced the Bosch L5013  which has vent holes close to the top with a sealed AGM L120.  Went back to the dealer who stated  it was the first time he had heard of this and there was nothing wrong with the battery supplied in its application as that is how they come from the factory.  
Can anyone settle the difference of opinion with a bit of legislation or rules to back up as the supplier and the tester cant both be right.
Thanks Malcolm H
drivinghorseuk
drivinghorseuk

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Leisure battery - to Vent or not to vent Empty Re: Leisure battery - to Vent or not to vent

Post by burlingtonboaby Thu Feb 22, 2024 1:39 pm

Hi Malcolm
Welcome to the forum from Bridlington , all of my habition batteries on 6 vans ,have been vented by top side tubes via the floor of the van .
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Devon Firefly
Vehicle Year : 2018

frederic and rgermain like this post

Back to top Go down

Leisure battery - to Vent or not to vent Empty Re: Leisure battery - to Vent or not to vent

Post by Dbvwt Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:53 pm

Assuming the battery has a vent hole, for the sake of a couple of quid and a small hole through the floor (there is probably one there already) then just vent it!

Last edited by Dbvwt on Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Thu Feb 22, 2024 3:58 pm

I didn't know the habitation check was a 'pass or fail' . Normally you just get advised of any problems.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Dbvwt likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Thu Feb 22, 2024 4:16 pm

My brother was telling me recently that someone in his road bought a used van with a pair of leisure batteries. After leaving it on mains for a while, there was a significant explosion. They were of a type that is supposed to be vented, but they were not. The cost to repair will be a lot. Not sure if the insurance will pay out either.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by burlingtonboaby Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:05 pm

Changed our Kia car for a wee automatic one, I decided to charge up the car battery as the car was under the canopy , connected up the 3 amp charger and left the unit trickel to charge the Yuasa 5000, 52 amp battery, some hours later ,removed charger , I noticed wee red bungs on either side of the battery, removed one side,there was a pop of expanded air and a fainted smell of acid .
Should have checked the battery before I started to charge the battery.  Whistle1
Lesson learnt .
Boaby
burlingtonboaby
burlingtonboaby
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 75
Auto-Sleeper Model : Devon Firefly

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:17 pm

It’s not so much the smell that lead acid batteries can give off when charged that’s the problem. It’s the hydrogen and oxygen given off. Although in small quantities, it’s not something you want to build up in an enclosed area, such as you find in a leisure battery compartment or box.
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:23 pm

I stand by my post earlier, a couple of quid and a small hole in the floor. A 15 minute job and nothing to worry about again.  shrugg
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by v8oholic Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:28 pm

Mine is certainly vented, that’s how it left the factory!
v8oholic
v8oholic

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:32 pm

v8oholic wrote:Mine is certainly vented, that’s how it left the factory!
Mine too V8 on my 2018 Symbol. I seem to recall a thread last year when the conclusion was A/S didn’t fit a vent tube to vans of the O/P’s era.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Back to top Go down