The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kingham 2016 - Under the Bed

4 posters

Go down

Kingham 2016 - Under the Bed Empty Kingham 2016 - Under the Bed

Post by Househedz Wed Jan 17, 2024 5:47 pm

Just looking at the woodwork under the bed that goes round the boiler and the back of the van. I noticed on newer models that the wood work is missing. Just wondered if anyone has removed and reboxed the boiler so that access through the barn doors was better. I don't want to put any more stuff under the bed because of weight but access I would like to improve.

If you have done the same, your experience would be really useful
Househedz
Househedz

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Kingham 2016 - Under the Bed Empty Re: Kingham 2016 - Under the Bed

Post by The Bargee Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:41 pm

My 2019 Kingham has the Truma at the back of the bed area, and had a wooden panel across the back of the van with a silly little access door.

I removed the panel and put it in the shed. It just unscrews. The wooden cover over the boiler itself remains in place to keep flammable items away from the boiler.

One of the prompts for this job was that on our first trip out one of the heating air hose joints parted and the hot air melted the adjacent water pipes. Typical AS rubbish installation! So I took the panel out, repaired the hoses and rerouted them across the back through a protective plastic trunking. I was also able to shorten and rationalise the hose runs, which originally made an almost complete loop around the boiler for no apparent reason and took up useful space on the floor. They now run outboard of the boiler. I was also able to re-route the heating air hoses more logically and so that they were not draping all over the place and taking up good floor space, or at risk of overheating something.

The result is that I can now slide in a couple of plastic storage boxes for hoses, adaptors, EHU lead etc. etc. The access is indeed very much better, particularly if somebody is still in bed and the bed cannot be raised at the back.

I also fitted some coat hooks on the back face of the “pelmet” panel above the bed head, and plan to fit a curtain running on that pelmet so that the blind in the door does not have to be used, to reduce draughts from the doors and to keep rain off the bed when the back doors have to be opened.

If or when the boiler needs to come out I will probably re-install it further forward under the foot of the bed to make even better use of the now more accessible space aft. I find lifting and propping the main part of the bed a bit of a back breaker so much prefer to access from the rear. More recent Kinghams have the Whale boiler fitted further forward, which seems much neater.
The Bargee
The Bargee

Male

Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by timsurf2021 Thu Jan 18, 2024 9:51 am

Have a look at [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Having had the factory Move the truma to under the sofa on our first Kingham, when we changed to our second Kingham it was fitted with the Whale heater, A/S would not change it to the truma so I did it myself plus some re-routing of the pipework to make the under bed storage space much more useful.

Tim.
timsurf2021
timsurf2021

Male

Vehicle Year : 2021

Back to top Go down

Post by sylvester1954 Sun Jan 28, 2024 1:53 pm

I have unscrewed the back panel with the silly little access panels and fitted three clips to the same back panel. Now if l need access to the rear l simply pull off the panel. Simple but makes it so much easier to gain access under the bed.
sylvester1954
sylvester1954

Male

Member Age : 64
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down