The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

VEHICLE battery charge displaying flat

5 posters

Go down

VEHICLE battery charge displaying flat Empty VEHICLE battery charge displaying flat

Post by Richardxl Sun Jan 07, 2024 10:55 am

Second post on this forum. First problem sorted very quickly so I thought I would mention this issue.  When I switch on the power on the ec51 the alarm goes off indicating veh  battery charge low. Display shows only a charge of less than 5. When I switch to vehicle battery the display shows a veh charge of over 12. I have checked the fuse for the vehicle battery on the group behind the driver's seat but it is OK. Vehicle battery works fine. Any ideas?
Richardxl
Richardxl

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

VEHICLE battery charge displaying flat Empty Re: VEHICLE battery charge displaying flat

Post by The Bargee Sun Jan 07, 2024 12:10 pm

For the true story measure voltages with a multimeter at the battery poles.

The VB voltage can be adequately measured at the dash lighter socket (with ignition on).

Off charge and rested you should see say 12.5 to 12.8 volts from a good battery

On charge (from engine or EHU) you should be seeing 13.7 plus.

If everything works it isn’t a fuse!

I take all Sargent gauge indications with a large pinch of salt!
The Bargee
The Bargee

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

VEHICLE battery charge displaying flat Empty Re: VEHICLE battery charge displaying flat

Post by Richardxl Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:37 pm

Thanks. Yep the VB is ok. Have sent a message to Sargent technical support help line to see if they can help.
Richardxl
Richardxl

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:39 pm

Do the habitation 12v items work when not on hook up? lights etc?
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by Richardxl Sun Jan 07, 2024 1:58 pm

Yep all works OK. It's just that I am getting this erroneous warning saying my VB charge is low.
Richardxl
Richardxl

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bargee Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:16 pm

Keep taking the salt!

I have fitted my own voltmeters on both VB & LB now. The Sargent system is almost completely bypassed (just the step to fathom out now) and I rarely switch it on so I don't get the annoying warnings.

This is a convenient way to monitor the VB voltage if you don't want to cut more holes in the dash:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
The Bargee
The Bargee

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham

Back to top Go down

Post by Richardxl Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:43 pm

Thanks. Will give it a go.
Richardxl
Richardxl

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sun Jan 07, 2024 2:55 pm

Two questions: If when not hooked up, you switch the EC51 to vehicle battery - does it stay on vehicle battery and supply the lights etc or does it immediately return to supply from the leisure battery? Have you checked the vehicle battery fuse on the EC155, 20A fuse 9 I believe?
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:02 pm

Richardxl wrote:Second post on this forum. First problem sorted very quickly so I thought I would mention this issue.  When I switch on the power on the ec51 the alarm goes off indicating veh  battery charge low. Display shows only a charge of less than 5. When I switch to vehicle battery the display shows a veh charge of over 12. I have checked the fuse for the vehicle battery on the group behind the driver's seat but it is OK. Vehicle battery works fine. Any ideas?
you are saying a ec51 on a 2017 van is this correct
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : kemerton xl

Back to top Go down

Post by Richardxl Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:32 am

Sorry it's the ec480 control panel and when I switch to vehicle battery it stays on and powers lights etc. there appears to be nothing wrong except I get this erroneous message. Don't know what the ec155 is but will look when vehicle back from it's MOT.
Richardxl
Richardxl

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:42 am

You confused people by naming your control panel as a EC51. That pairs with the EC155 power unit, so if you have an ec480 then you don't have an ec155. The control panels operate differently. Once we know what your actual set up is, then hopefully you'll get the necessary advice.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Richardxl Mon Jan 08, 2024 9:54 am

Sorry!!
Richardxl
Richardxl

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:14 pm

Like Glyne Lock, I was surprised that you didn't have the EC500 installation but assumed that you had the information from the controller itself and would not be surprised at finding anything installed in an AS van.

The vehicle battery on the EC500 is fuse 7, I suggest you remove and refit it to clean the contacts. Also make sure you let Sargent know which system you have.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Mon Jan 08, 2024 12:56 pm

Peter Brown wrote:Like Glyne Lock, I was surprised that you didn't have the EC500 installation but assumed that you had the information from the controller itself and would not be surprised at finding anything installed in an AS van.

The vehicle battery on the EC500 is fuse 7, I suggest you remove and refit it to clean the contacts.  Also make sure you let Sargent know which system you have.
As you have said Peter i wanted to check the information was correct to be able to help before i posted any help 
what is the control reading what is it set on as this puts the alarm different
most important was if its a ec500 as should be fitted to that year camper
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Richardxl Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:00 am

Problem solved! Had a response from Sargent who suggested that the problem was in the interface unit behind the driver's seat so was told to check the fuse and wiring. All appeared ok. I then noticed in the technical information that there was a vehicle fuse on the PSU unit (no 7). Thought I would check it. It wa looks blown! Replaced it and now everything works ok. Don't totally understand why that fuse affected the interface between the ec480 and the vehicle battery but hopefully Sargent will explain. Thanks for your help guys and sorry to have mislead you.
Richardxl
Richardxl

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Tue Jan 09, 2024 10:43 am

so after finding out its a ec500 note Peter had said fuse 7 needs checking. the fuse has blown as the charger will power more the 20 amps and the battery was low on power so blows the fuse .this is the reason to charge regular to look after the batteries or do the solar mod with a ec500 or ec700 to look after both batteries. if left for more then a few weeks the batteries are going to low on power and will shorten the life .the long time people say on the forum is not correct and will not help people just cost money to put right .
people read and post what they read but is only a help if what they read is NOTE correct
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Richardxl Tue Jan 09, 2024 11:19 am

Peter/Glyne, obviously needed my wrist slapped but afraid not a very technical guy and did not understand the workings and key components of my van. Am very grateful for your help and have learnt a lot. Try not to be such a D in future.
Richardxl
Richardxl

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:04 pm

in the trade we say every day is a school day as there is always something new.
you did not need to say you need your wrist slapped. i am here to help with my trade skills to save people money. the A/S books dont always help as they are not always correct as to the year of your camper as to what is fitted and was my reason to ask what i did. please just ask if you need help and i am sure Peter will help and myself this is what the forum is for
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

mikethebike likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Richardxl Tue Jan 09, 2024 12:41 pm

Thanks
Richardxl
Richardxl

Male

Peter Brown, AngleseyJJ and glyne lock like this post

Back to top Go down