The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ALKO Air Top (Airtop) Suspension yet again

+5
Suf
Biker51
Tengah74
PLOUGHLIN
Sleepy
9 posters

Go down

ALKO Air Top (Airtop) Suspension yet again Empty ALKO Air Top (Airtop) Suspension yet again

Post by Sleepy Fri Dec 08, 2023 2:08 pm

The left side airbag deflated on our last trip.  It is leaking air from where the mounting bolt seems to have rubbed through.  This seems to be a common failure...
I have read many of the forum posts about this but it is not clear to me if our Air Top was fitted correctly.  We will likely be using our local independent (or maybe myself) for the repair so I would like to understand whether to have the new unit fitted in the same way, or bolts reversed, or maybe with dome bolts which has been mentioned.
Can anyone say if the unit was mounted correctly?  Any other comments?
I assume that at this time – after 11 years – it would be a waste of time to approach Autosleeper?
Thanks in advance for comments.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2012

Back to top Go down

ALKO Air Top (Airtop) Suspension yet again Empty Re: ALKO Air Top (Airtop) Suspension yet again

Post by PLOUGHLIN Fri Dec 08, 2023 3:30 pm

Looks to be mounted the best way to minimise chafing, nut and exposed thread away from the bellows.

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Back to top Go down

ALKO Air Top (Airtop) Suspension yet again Empty Re: ALKO Air Top (Airtop) Suspension yet again

Post by Tengah74 Tue Dec 12, 2023 4:26 pm

Had the same problem bit of a design error. My solution was to replace the bolts with dome headed bolts with an Allen key head and spring washers. This way ensures that the attachment bolts have a good clearance from the boot. Bolts from eBay.
Tengah74

Male

Member Age : 83
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex duo

Cymro, Peter Brown, Barry Watkin and Sleepy like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Biker51 Tue Dec 12, 2023 9:40 pm

Had the same problem 2017, had them replace by Autosleeper with an upgraded version. From memory they cost about £480 fitted, no problems since.ALKO Air Top (Airtop) Suspension yet again Cb9d6d05-83b7-4430-ab3a-a7ba5901e425
Biker51
Biker51

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex EB

Sleepy likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sleepy Wed Dec 13, 2023 11:44 am

Biker51 wrote:Had the same problem 2017, had them replace by Autosleeper with an upgraded version. From memory they cost about £480 fitted, no problems since.
ALKO Air Top (Airtop) Suspension yet again Cb9d6d05-83b7-4430-ab3a-a7ba5901e425Thanks
@Biker51 -- your post seems indicate a photo but I can't see anything.  Was that the intent?  The method on the forum to include a photo is a bit unusual...
Click the "Host an image" button on the toolbar, it's first in the fifth block from left.
Choose your file using the blue "select files" button
Upload the image using the blue  send button or "send All"
Insert the image using the blue "insert all" or the middle "view" link by the image.
...sorry if you know all this but I am hoping you might have included a photo of your upgraded version?  I'd be interested in that.

Male

Member Age : 69
Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol

Back to top Go down

Post by Biker51 Wed Dec 13, 2023 1:08 pm

Sorry for the missed photo, I was trying to copy from my old post. Hopefully this one works.[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Biker51
Biker51

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex EB

Biker51 and Sleepy like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Suf Thu Dec 14, 2023 10:53 am

Hi Folks, we have a 2018 duo. I do need to top up the suspension from time to time. I assume this is normal or acceptable or do I need to get them checked ?
Are the units on all 4 corners or just the front . Can't go and look as we are not at home.
Regards Geoff
Suf
Suf

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:33 pm

My Al-Ko Air Rides need to be topped up about every two months by a few pounds; that's normal. They are fitted to the rear suspension only. I run mine at about 28psi but of course the optimum pressure will depend on individual circumstances.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Suf likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Suf Thu Dec 14, 2023 12:48 pm

Thanks Cymro. No action required then. Thanks again Geoff
Suf
Suf

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick Duo
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Watkin Wed Dec 27, 2023 9:52 pm

Come back to this discussion again and confirm two best improvement/modifications to this problem.
The first if you use or indeed can find those original units use dome headed bolts, it’s that simple.
The second replace with upgraded system as noted above. You’ll note no infamous hectzagonal bolt head’s waiting to wreck your pride & joy.
Which AutoSleeper now appear to agree with possibly agreeing the originals were ****
Note you’ll save £2/300 if you fit them yourself. I haven’t heard if AutoSleepers ever issued a ‘Call back’ on the original’s conceding they were poor/not adaquate?
Barry Watkin
Barry Watkin

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Isle of Wight

snoman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by snoman Yesterday at 7:05 pm

Hi 👋🏼 yes there was a recall for bolts fitted incorrectly.. 
Autosleeper replaced mine FOC with the bolts simply fitted the other way which still had the same issue of the bolts rubbing on the rubber bellows and creating a puncture.. When I approached them again complaining that this was a bad design issue, they suggested it was my error and refused to entertain my request to have them replaced under warranty.. 
obviously from the later pictures they have now abandoned the old style mountings, and the bolts can not pierce the rubber bellows 

This would have been the correct fix on the original recall 😤
snoman
snoman

Male

Member Age : 60
Auto-Sleeper Model : 2011 Stratford

Back to top Go down

Post by Barry Watkin Yesterday at 8:10 pm

Good day, Interestingly Autosleeper didn’t contact us with any form of ‘Call Back’ & yes we did own the Kemerton from new.  To make matters slightly more annoying when our original set chaffed through they Charged us for the replacements with no mention of any recall. When they too went albeit a few years later, I checked out there fitting more closely only to discover the same problems of the previous set. Needless to say this third set weve fitted without AS assistance/cost & used the obvious well documented domed bolt head fix. I guess my training in the marine trade works better than theirs in the motor trade!  (Old timer I learnt from— “do you know happens Lad if we can’t fix this? ……..We sink!!) 
Barry Watkin
Barry Watkin

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Isle of Wight

snoman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by The Bargee Yesterday at 8:31 pm

Barry Watkin wrote:. I guess my training in the marine trade works better than theirs in the motor trade!  (Old timer I learnt from— “do you know happens Lad if we can’t fix this? ……..We sink!!) 

How true. I am still “in the marine trade” after over 50 years and still struggle to believe how far behind at least some areas of the motorhome industry seem to be in terms of technical advances, electrics and simple general engineering compared to the standards that we work to in the marine business. It seems all a bit DIY to me!

I bought a motorhome last year and it took me back to the technical and quality levels of the marine market in the late sixties when I started, excepting of course the electronics which don’t work, and have now been removed from my van.
The Bargee
The Bargee

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2019

snoman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by snoman Yesterday at 8:51 pm

Alas we found out about the recall from some clever boffin on here and we're not contacted by AS 😕 

You'd have thought they would have realised that simply turning the nuts and bolts around, would not rectify the issue..! 🤦🏼‍�

How easy is it to replace the bellows/air bags oneself ? Any special tools or knowledge required 🤔

Thanks
snoman
snoman

Male

Member Age : 60
Auto-Sleeper Model : 2011 Stratford

Back to top Go down