The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Replacing the rubbish sofa velcro…

4 posters

Go down

Replacing the rubbish sofa velcro… Empty Replacing the rubbish sofa velcro…

Post by DeeBee Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:00 pm

One of the things that has annoyed me about our Warwick XL is the way the top part of the sofa is secured with velcro to the side wall. For some reason AutoSleeper thought it would be a good idea to staple the other side of the velcro, so we have found that even when we have been super careful removing the top cushion a number of staples have come loose.

Not great considering we have a dog and have had to be careful to make sure we spot any that have come off. So far I have been using a better staple gun and re-secured them. Been on my to do list so found a better solution and thought I would share in case anyone else had the same issue.

Got some 50mm velcro with adhesive from Amazon (namely this: VELCRO Brand Heavy Duty Stick On Tape Cut-to-Length Industrial Extra Strong Double Sided Hook & Loop Self Adhesive Tape Perfect for Room Décor & Home, Office, Garage Use Black 50mm x 5m [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Marked up the position and then took off the old velcro with a long screw driver.

Really pleased with the result, its really secure and no more worries about staples being swallowed by the dog! I think I am right in saying AS used to use poppers to connect that top cushion to the wall - awful design decision to do it this way imo - in an £70-80k van they couldnt use magnets or do a better job? Love our van but constantly baffled by some of the corner cutting these firms do (not just AS).

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
DeeBee

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2022

Back to top Go down

Replacing the rubbish sofa velcro… Empty Re: Replacing the rubbish sofa velcro…

Post by Monty-Plym Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:22 pm

What a great idea, my WXL is also shedding staples, your link isn't working but I think you are trying to show this 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Could you please confirm

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL MQ
Vehicle Year : 2020

DeeBee likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeBee Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:32 pm

Thats the one 👍
DeeBee

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2022

Monty-Plym and Bilbobaggins like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rgermain Fri Nov 10, 2023 7:48 pm

I replaced our staples with extra long stronger ones, had to buy a long reach stapler from eBay, been in place for 6 years and not a single staple has come loose yet.
rgermain
rgermain
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 77
Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick duo
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Robstopaz Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:25 pm

I have found that often Auto Sleeper overdo the amount of Velcro which makes it a battle to remove the cushions or reposition them.  I replace with half width on one side fixed with longer staples. It imposes less strain on the wider adhesive half which can pull off after a lot of use.
Rob
Robstopaz
Robstopaz

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanway
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down