The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Locking your doors overnight

+7
Kemerton-bath
Cymro
Relaxez-Vous
Tinwheeler
Paulmold
Kdc
psfairford
11 posters

Go down

Locking your doors overnight Empty Locking your doors overnight

Post by psfairford Mon 16 Oct 2023, 6:56 pm

Don't know if anyone else has been given the same incorrect information as were.

Just wanted to let you know about our recent experience in our Fairford and a bit of background that led up to this…

We recently returned from a holiday in France and, whilst on a campsite, someone entered our motorhome while we were asleep and helped themselves to both of our iphones and charging leads, our laptop and carrying case, my Amazon kindle and my Nikon camera. We woke up to find that all these items had been taken and the driver’s door was left wide open with a couple of our holdalls left on the ground outside.

We bought the Fairford from Robsons of Wolsingham back in March 2017 and, one of the things we were told during our walkthrough, was about keeping ourselves safe when sleeping in the van overnight.

We were told to press the door locking button situated on the driver’s door armrest and that would lock all the doors.

So, for 6 ½ years, we have religiously followed the routine of locking the doors as instructed.

We have wild-camped, parked in car parks, stayed on motorway services overnight blissfully believing we were safe in our cocoon!

After this incident, when we had moved on to the next campsite, I noticed someone with a Warwick XL so I approached them and told them of our experience and asked if they followed the same routine.

In fact, they had been given different instructions and been told that the button on the driver’s armrest only locked the rear and side doors! They then let us know that there was another button on the dashboard that did lock ALL the doors.

We were very thankful that nothing worse happened to us during this robbery. It doesn’t bear thinking about what the outcome could have been if we, or our dog who was asleep next to the bed, had woken up at the time.

I wonder how many other owners have been given the same incorrect information.
psfairford
psfairford

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Locking your doors overnight Empty Re: Locking your doors overnight

Post by Kdc Mon 16 Oct 2023, 8:51 pm

Not a good experience, pleased you both and dog ok. Supprised you or dog were unaware of events. Could it have been some disabling gas used to subdue all occupants. Have heard that scenario before.
As for locking from inside, always used one on dash and never even considered one on drivers door. Was not aware that did not lock all doors so just as well.
Safe travels.

Last edited by Kdc on Mon 16 Oct 2023, 9:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kdc
Kdc
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2019

Daley54 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Mon 16 Oct 2023, 9:13 pm

My Sussex doesn't have a lock button on armrest, just the one in centre of dash. Maybe just x290 models have the armrest one, not x250 models (pre 2015)

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Mon 16 Oct 2023, 9:21 pm

As I recall the armrest button is designed to prevent theft from delivery vans when stopped at traffic lights or similar. I think it’s all covered in the handbook.

I’m sorry you had this experience, PSF, but the lesson is to never believe what the dealership tells you without checking things for yourself. I hope your insurance covered you.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

AutoSleepy_Don and RogerThat like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Relaxez-Vous Mon 16 Oct 2023, 10:08 pm

How distressing, my sympathies. Unfortunately I've heard similar stories to your own, places like stopping overnight at a French motorway service station, and a French campsite where several campers were targeted one night, as if there was a team at work.

We use the button on the dashboard, sometimes though it needs pressing twice, sometimes I've left a door slightly open and it won't lock.

We had one incident, more teenagers larking around. We were camping in a field by Rutland Water sailing club possibly in the early 1990s. We were in bed with the lights off when we heard voices laughing, whilst one attempted to deflate a tyre someone started to open the rear doors and my wife let rip shouting at them, they swiftly left thankfully.

Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Cymro Tue 17 Oct 2023, 7:41 am

I read your post, PSFairford, with both sympathy and recollection. We, too, suffered a break-in in France whilst we were inside at night. There was an almighty thunderstorm so I was awake. Suddenly the cab light came on, momentarily. So I shouted and grabbed a torch and peered through the window, but saw nothing. But the PAX door was ajar. I closed it and locked the doors. We didn't sleep any more. In the morning I found that both cab door locks had been forced and broken. Luckily, we disturbed the robber before anything was stolen. Apparently they assume that valuables are kept in the glovebox or on the dashboard - hence the attack on the cab. Since then, in potentially vulnerable locations I chain the cab doors together, but am aware of the risk of compromising exit routes.

So I'm very sorry to hear of your upsetting, and expensive, experience.

Cymro
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Tue 17 Oct 2023, 8:05 am

Worth noting that the dashboard switch toggles between lock and unlock. It’s only locked when its red light is lit.

Tim

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Bilbobaggins Tue 17 Oct 2023, 8:18 am

On x250 models there are two push button switches next to each other on dash, one to lock (with red light for a few minutes after activating) and one to unlock. Locks all doors from outside but can still open from inside.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2014

Back to top Go down

Post by IanH Tue 17 Oct 2023, 8:25 am

As a safety thing, taking into consideration all above, it is essential to be able to get out in a hurry in case of fire.

On our Eribacar the doors were tied together with a steel bar and turnbuckle, but it wasn't padlocked, as it could be, at night... and the steering wheel chain not used...

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Nowadays with our exterior door handle it is never locked when the vehicle is driven, or overnight, in case that's the only way out in an accident. The rear hab door is, however, locked on the inside.

Locking your doors overnight Dh110
IanH
IanH
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Executive
Vehicle Year : 2002

Back to top Go down

Locking your doors overnight Empty Gas

Post by iandsm Thu 26 Oct 2023, 2:26 pm

Kdc wrote:Not a good experience, pleased you both and dog ok. Supprised you or dog were unaware of events. Could it have been some disabling gas used to subdue all occupants. Have heard that scenario before.
As for locking from inside, always used one on dash and never even considered one on drivers door. Was not aware that did not lock all doors so just as well.
Safe travels.
It most certainly was not gas. This has been proved to be a complete myth by the Royal College of Anesthetists. There is plenty of research apart from that.
iandsm
iandsm

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Auto-Sleepers
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by romyalison Fri 27 Oct 2023, 9:05 am

Good morning all, we agree on all the above points. Red light on = all doors locked from the inside.
We also tie the front doors with a chain and a padlock as we know someone who was burgled whilst sleeping when someone picked the front door locks and stole everything on the front seats.
We also have put a device on the back doors which locked them from the inside ( item bought online from Germany our vehicle is a Peugeot Boxer)
We feel very secure inside and when out confident that we have done everything to protect the van).
romyalison
romyalison

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kingham
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down