The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tow Bar on Symbol

+2
PLOUGHLIN
Bill
6 posters

Go down

Tow Bar on Symbol Empty Tow Bar on Symbol

Post by Bill Wed Aug 30, 2023 10:15 am

I am considering fitting a tow bar on to my 2017 Fiat Ducato Symbol.  Is it a relatively straight forward job for a professional company and what sort of cost am I looking at and what sort of load can I safely and legally tow ?
After I purchased the Symbol I had rear reversing sensors fitted and was concerned that if I have a towbar fitted will the sensors recognise the towbar and go off every time I go into reverse and be non effective ?  Bill.
Bill
Bill

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2017

Back to top Go down

Tow Bar on Symbol Empty Re: Tow Bar on Symbol

Post by PLOUGHLIN Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:19 am

Page 8-3 of the AS manual will state the maximum trailer mass for your Symbol 2018 one is 2500kg. It will also be quoted on your weight plate as maximum train weight ( second number in list of 4)

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 54
Auto-Sleeper Model : MB Gloucester
Vehicle Year : 2011

Bill likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Wed Aug 30, 2023 11:28 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]Your vin plate will tell you as Peter says. 
Subtract the MAM from the GTW to arrive at the max legal weight you can tow.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Bill likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Rocky Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:23 pm

Bill - the first part of your question has been answered.  

As for the reversing sensors, if the wiring loom is fitted correctly (13 pin plug recommended), the vehicle system should recognise there is a trailer attached when the trailer plug is inserted, and automatically shut off the reversing sensors.  Make sure you aske the fitter to test this after the towbar has been fitted.

Regards,
Rocky
Rocky

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL MQ
Vehicle Year : 2023

Back to top Go down

Post by Dbvwt Wed Aug 30, 2023 1:41 pm

“the vehicle system should recognise there is a trailer attached when the trailer plug is inserted, and automatically shut off the reversing sensors”

I fitted my parking sensors after I bought my van, simply teeing into the reversing light. There is no way my van would know that parking sensors are fitted. Bill has mentioned his were aftermarket so the method of wiring would need to be established.
There is also the question of how the towbar would be wired. Wiring into the van systems with a dedicated harness/kit or the old ‘bypass relay’ method. I must confess to not being 100% sure of the wiring on the Symbol, Glyne is one member who knows a fair bit on the subject.
Dbvwt
Dbvwt

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2018

Back to top Go down

Post by Tinwheeler Wed Aug 30, 2023 3:33 pm

Perhaps I misunderstood but I thought Bill was asking if the towbar/towball itself rather than a trailer will set the bleepers off. 

Without seeing the position of the sensors in relation to the towball, it’s impossible to say but I’ve not yet come across a vehicle where this has happened.
Tinwheeler
Tinwheeler
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : None
Vehicle Year : None

Bill likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by glyne lock Wed Aug 30, 2023 4:11 pm

my own cars have the sensors but got fitted on the build so are positioned to not have a problem if a tow bar and ball are fitted as my cars are
when sensors have been fitted after by some one its down to the position they have been fitted so not some thing that you can help with here
glyne lock
glyne lock

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : kemerton xl
Vehicle Year : 2019

Bill likes this post

Back to top Go down