The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fairford sink drain

+4
Toffee
rojharris
Cymro
BungalowBill
8 posters

Go down

Fairford sink drain Empty Fairford sink drain

Post by BungalowBill Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:49 pm

2023 Fairford …new and first trip. Sink will not drain … just dribbles out. Plunging it works but same problem every time. Only fresh water down it. Yes the van is parked Level! Suggestions?
BungalowBill
BungalowBill

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Fairford
Vehicle Year : 2023

Back to top Go down

Fairford sink drain Empty Re: Fairford sink drain

Post by Cymro Sun Aug 13, 2023 10:14 pm

Welcome to the Forum, which I hope you'll find to be friendly and helpful. 

The issue of poor drainage from the sink is a hardy perennial on the Forum. A search will reveal various suggestions.

However, your van is new. Accordingly, were I in your shoes, I'd add the issue to the snagging list which your dealer should sort out. The solution (no pun) may involve re-routing or otherwise modifying the under-sink plumbing, so let the dealer do it, as it's clearly not right at the moment.

Cymro.

PS: Incidentally, you may not have noticed that the Administrator of this Forum invites new members to introduce themselves. Admin says "Out of courtesy, can all new members please say Hello"? See [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Cymro
Cymro
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Nuevo ES
Vehicle Year : 2015

Paulmold and Tinwheeler like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BungalowBill Mon Aug 14, 2023 7:56 am

Many thanks for suggestion. 
Apologies for discourtesy!
A belated hello therefor . I guess a typical recent retiree profile for us as new to this. I was an airline pilot and am looking forward to never travelling on an aeroplane again! The whole industry travel process has become positively zoological with the intrusive packing and processing of passengers like beans on a conveyor. I am looking forward to going to places of our choosing in our own time. My most favourite place ( and I’ve been to most) is the South of France..
BungalowBill
BungalowBill

Male

Cymro, Peter Brown and Kdc like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by rojharris Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:07 am

Stick your finger in the plughole and spin clockwise. Sink drains like a champ!
Also, check out the Fairford FB group. I put a video of this on there some time ago.
Enjoy... Nice van!
rojharris
rojharris

Male

Vehicle Year : 2020

rogerblack, Peter Brown and Toffee like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BungalowBill Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:20 pm

Thanks Roj.I’ll try that as the dealer replumbing has not made a blind bit of difference . A bit of a “ nul point” for Autosleeper on this a brand spanking new van……
BungalowBill
BungalowBill

Male

rojharris likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Toffee Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:50 pm

Did I read somewhere that if you remove the trap it improves? Had ours 7 years and learned to put up with it as it met my expectations that it wouldn’t drain like a sink at home. Swirling works as does a really full sink of water.
Toffee

Male

Member Age : 57
Vehicle Year : 2016

Back to top Go down

Post by BungalowBill Fri Aug 25, 2023 12:59 pm

I am going to try removing the trap… 
Having looked at it , it seems to me that the combination of a long narrow bore pipe which goes up and down and then up to the tank is just inviting air locks . I’m also thinking about putting a tap on the bottom of the pipe where it emerges under the van …. So that when appropriate… can just let the waste go straight out without wandering across the van and up to the tank.
BungalowBill
BungalowBill

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Paulmold Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:27 pm

This is the best solution I've seen (OK it was on a Warwick but you may have room to do similar)....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 73
Auto-Sleeper Model : Sussex Duo
Vehicle Year : 2010

BobK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BungalowBill Fri Aug 25, 2023 2:35 pm

That looks interesting.. thanks
BungalowBill
BungalowBill

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Kemerton-bath Fri Aug 25, 2023 5:53 pm

That blue component in the picture must allow air to enter the system to overcome the negative pressure in the waste pipe that’s created when emptying the sink (the cause of slow draining). It looks like the cover piece from a fresh water drain tap, which has possibly had a small hole put in it. Unfortunately the picture doesn’t show that.

I’d thought about fitting a conventional air admittance valve, but now realise that because AS don’t fit a trap to the waste, there’s no need to fit a valve designed to prevent smells escaping. They do anyway, if you don’t keep the tank reasonably clean. 

It simply needs an opening that’s high enough in the system, which I presume is what the picture shows.

Tim

1996 - Autosleeper Symphony   2010 - Autosleeper Symbol    2018 - Autosleeper Kemerton   2023 - Autosleeper Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Kemerton-bath
Kemerton-bath
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 65
Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL (Fiat)
Vehicle Year : 2020

Back to top Go down

Post by Relaxez-Vous Sun Aug 27, 2023 7:12 pm

I'm still a bit mystified why some A-S kitchen sinks seem to be slow to drain. In our previous van a Duetto and in our current a Kemerton XL I've concluded that mostly it's caused by food debris build-up in the corrugated waste pipe. I'm not sure where the negative pressure can form that others have referred to. Waste water going into the tank will need to displace some air now under positive pressure which should be venting out the top of the waste tank. Did A-S not create a big enough vent on the top of some waste tanks they fitted, did this vent eventually get blocked by food when the waste tank overflowed?

My current thoughts of the cause of the slow empting is a combination of there being a horizontal section of waste pipe before it enters the tank which coupled with the turbulent flow caused by the corrugated pipe leads to the slow flow and poor empting. Any food debris in the pipe wont help, any whirlpool effect from a well directed finger will. As the waste tank fills there's a certain hydrostatic pressure that the latest waste water meets which opposes its inflow.

I don't want to go down the route that Gyne took to gain access to area below his kitchen sink in his Kemerton XL but my guess is that if I did replace the waste pipe with a smooth bored pipe made of silicone our sink would drain much more freely. A-S wouldn't have done this, fitting silicone pipes is more expensive, it's a minor irritation overcome with an educated finger or handy sink plunger, or as often in our sink, have enough water in the bowl and during the empting phase use the sink plug in and out to create sufficient turbulent flow to wash through any debris in the pipe to pass onwards into the waste tank, until next time.
Relaxez-Vous
Relaxez-Vous

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Kemerton XL
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Brown Sun Aug 27, 2023 9:09 pm

The slow drain is a universal problem but I can be sure it's nothing to do with food waste as none has ever gone down to any of our vans tanks. We always wash up in a bowl and the waste water goes out of the van in the bowl to a drain appropriate to the particular site.
Peter Brown
Peter Brown
Donator
Donator

Male

Member Age : 72
Auto-Sleeper Model : Broadway EB
Vehicle Year : 2016

Toffee and orac like this post

Back to top Go down