The Auto-Sleeper Motorhome Owners Forum (ASOF)
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A little storage mod in the Warwick XL

+2
RogerThat
FreelanderUK
6 posters

Go down

A little storage mod in the Warwick XL Empty A little storage mod in the Warwick XL

Post by FreelanderUK Fri Jul 21, 2023 5:46 pm

Had a little time to kill after I had cut the lawns and hedge so a little mod in the van,,

I removed the inside step board and tidied up the wiring for the step lights and did a few measurements, I had 2 spare battery boxes that with a bit of trimming fitted the space, screwed them down and marked the top board for a access point, this was easily cut with a sharp stanly knife, fastened the board back in place, I just have to trim the access door a fit a piano hinge, storage for the chargers for Christine’s scooters and a few other bits
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Last edited by FreelanderUK on Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:55 pm; edited 1 time in total

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL
Vehicle Year : 2016

Paulmold, v8oholic, RogerThat, Kdc and IanH like this post

Back to top Go down

A little storage mod in the Warwick XL Empty Re: A little storage mod in the Warwick XL

Post by RogerThat Fri Jul 21, 2023 6:45 pm

Brilliant!

Our vans are quite limited on storage space already, making use of "lost" space like this is excellent smile!
RogerThat
RogerThat
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Stanway
Vehicle Year : 2018

FreelanderUK likes this post

Back to top Go down

A little storage mod in the Warwick XL Empty Re: A little storage mod in the Warwick XL

Post by Kdc Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:04 pm

Great mod. Been thinking about investigating that potential space . Looks well worthwhile extra storage.
I am assuming you intend to piano hinge but not right across behind drivers seat.What is your idea regarding the carpet, are you going to cut it to allow lift up access? I shall be interested to see pics of finished project before going down similar route.
Kdc
Kdc
Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2019

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Fri Jul 21, 2023 7:08 pm

I will be using a piano hinge across the opening only in line with the passenger seat , my local carpet place does binding so may see if they can match the binding tape and slit it so it leaves the main part down

Male

Kdc likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kdc Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:11 pm

Thanks for that. I believe that will make a neat and very worthwhile additional storage
Klim
Kdc
Kdc
Donator
Donator

Male

FreelanderUK likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by FreelanderUK Sat Jul 22, 2023 5:22 pm

Finished it off today , used a full length piano hinge as my cutting was not as good as I would have liked , added a strengthening wooden angle to the back edge , overall very pleased and extra storage , I would have liked to get the carpet altered but no one in my area does carpet binding with tape

Male

Fontie and quentinsf like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kdc Tue May 21, 2024 9:25 pm

Having been spurred on by freelanders  storage mod I have finally got around to doing mine.  A slightly different way about it which is probably  a little more work but the same result,accessing  very useable space.
I separated the step board just behind drivers seat  with multi tool so as not to get involved with EM40 wiring,which also allowed me to remove the rest of step board to the workshop to work on. I put the floor led lights and cables into plastic conduit to protect them from stored items when in use.
I then made support for refitting step board against the piece left in place and a support to strengthen step at access hole location and to blank off area to right which has heating pipe work.
Access cut into step board,edges cleaned and softwood edging fitted. Cut out was then trimmed to size allowing for edging to also be fitted. Thin battens fitted under back and left to support hatch. Step board then refitted. Once complete and carpet back down there is no evidence that an access has been fitted as no cuts appear on front edge,this is a potential hidey hole if required. There is a suppriseing amount of useful storage in this otherwise enclosed space.

Kdc
Kdc
Donator
Donator

Male

Biker51, Dbvwt and FreelanderUK like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Baggiecamper Wed May 22, 2024 10:16 am

I utilised the space under the step to install a Victron 30amp B2B (I made it fan cooled) and a 1.5kW inverter (internally fan cooled). I also implemented an additional chassis connection. The use of this dead space avoided using up the limited space under the bed. It also meant a lot of the cabling was concealed. I added two extra vents to improve air flow. I also moved the heating duct.

This is a photo of the job in progress. I was planning on hinging the step cover but have not got round to it. Anyway, I have not needed to access the installation since it was put in.

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2017

Monty-Plym, Kemerton-bath, Dbvwt and Kdc like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kdc Wed May 22, 2024 10:29 am

Baggiecamper…….. that is an excellent example of the amount of space not utilised.
Kdc
Kdc
Donator
Donator

Male

Back to top Go down

Post by Monty-Plym Wed May 22, 2024 10:55 am

I carried out a similar mod based on FreelanderUK (Chris's) great idea.  I can't understand why A/S don't carry this out as an original fit. We use it as a boot/shoe locker.  The EM40 is quite easy to remove, 4 corner screws, lift and rotate 45 degrees, it will then pass through the opening, there is plenty of length on the cable loom, it also provides a good opportunity to check the condition of the connectors underneath.  I fabricated a new top piece made out of 19mm rather than 12mm to provide extra strength as the cut-out will weaken it, bought the timber from A/S so it matched. Tidied up the light wiring loom and covered it in with plywood so the shoes wouldn't damage anything.

Donator
Donator

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Warwick XL MQ
Vehicle Year : 2020

Kdc and FreelanderUK like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Baggiecamper Wed May 22, 2024 11:11 am

I think we are all IN STEP for using the wasted space

lol4

Before I decided to fill the step with electrical stuff I was considering making the storage even bigger by making it higher and moving the black fibre glass away from the passenger seat.

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : Symbol
Vehicle Year : 2017

Monty-Plym likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kdc Wed May 22, 2024 12:25 pm

Monty-plym………. I notice your model year does not have the vent outlet in the step.That makes it even more worthwhile utilising the space left empty by AS.
Nice job!
Kdc
Kdc
Donator
Donator

Male

Monty-Plym likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kevjan Wed May 22, 2024 10:11 pm

Very tidy job as usual Kdc. I have to agree it’s a better idea having no vent at the front as I get no air flow from it anyway to far from heater I suppose. Kevin
kevjan
kevjan

Male

Auto-Sleeper Model : warwick xl
Vehicle Year : 2015

Back to top Go down